Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

"TLJ Destroyed SW Lore!" Uhm, Ever Heard What Legends EU Did? [SPOILERS]

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > STAR WARS Discussion
"TLJ Destroyed SW Lore!" Uhm, Ever Heard What Legends EU Did? [SPOILERS]

JediAkemi's Avatar


JediAkemi
12.29.2017 , 01:47 PM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by Leklor View Post
More than that, the problem with Legends was that due to the actors' age (For the post ROTJ EU) we would have landed near the end of the Dark Nest Trilogy without much possibilities to explain the context (Sure, they didn't explain it in TFA but there isn't 40 novels worth of major storylines between 6 and 7)... and the post-ROTJ EU mostly starts to collapse at this point anyway.
Regarding the pre-Prequels EU, nothing is set in stone but they seem to be taking a broad stroke approach to it. There is a Malachor in the galaxy but it wasn't the high point of the Mandalorian Wars, it seems to have more in common with Ruusan in the Darth Bane stories (Massive Jedi vs. Sith that ended in mass death due to a Sith "weapon") for example.
They could potentially have done animated movies of some of the earlier post-RotJ stuff and had the actors providing their characters' voices (something I'd been hoping for since just before RotS) but yeah, for live-action movies, their age meant it would have to be Dark Nest *shudder* or later

Kaedusz's Avatar


Kaedusz
12.29.2017 , 01:58 PM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by Ylliarus View Post
snip
All true, but could you please specify in the thread title that it is the post ep 6 EU we are talking about. Not making it clear sounds like all the EU is bad, and the Old Republic EU is the exact opposite of bad.
7 days free subscription ---- > http://www.swtor.com/r/k9W2FP

Leklor's Avatar


Leklor
12.29.2017 , 02:20 PM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by JediAkemi View Post
They could potentially have done animated movies of some of the earlier post-RotJ stuff and had the actors providing their characters' voices (something I'd been hoping for since just before RotS) but yeah, for live-action movies, their age meant it would have to be Dark Nest *shudder* or later
To be honest, I'm still around the Hand of Thrawn duology and I mostly know the post-ROTJ EU by reputation.
Is it really that bad? I mean, the Vongs, Legacy of the Force, Fate of the Jedi?
Because I read the Legacy comics about Cade Skywalker and while it was far from perfect it was entertaining.
But if it is that bad, I rest my case, what would be the point of sticking to Legends if it's only to adapt the worst of it (Post-ROTJ still)?
This is a referral link, use at your own risk:
http://www.swtor.com/r/l72c4c

DarthDymond's Avatar


DarthDymond
12.29.2017 , 02:35 PM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by Kaedusz View Post
All true, but could you please specify in the thread title that it is the post ep 6 EU we are talking about. Not making it clear sounds like all the EU is bad, and the Old Republic EU is the exact opposite of bad.
If one's talking about radical departures from the movies' lore, then Old Republic EU stories certainly fit the bill just as much as the post-RotJ bunch.

  • Naga Sadow ripping the core out of a sun with the Force.
  • The Muur Talisman instantly transforming any non-Force Sensitive person near it into a Rakghoul.
  • Nihilus being able to drain the life from an entire planet.
  • The Rakata having transporters.
  • Vitiate having a ritual that would drain all life in the galaxy if performed.
  • Revan dying and then having his Dark Side half come back to life while his Light Side half became a Force Ghost.
  • Bane learning to transfer his soul into another person's body.

But that's the thing, one person's "they ruined the lore" is another person's "they expanded the lore in a new and interesting way" -- whether you're talking about the Old Republic era EU, the post-RotJ era EU, or the new Disney Canon.
One can only match, move by move, the machinations of fate, and thus defy the tyrannous stars. ~Kain

Refer A Friend Link: http://www.swtor.com/r/2gNj3d to get the free stuff detailed here

JediAkemi's Avatar


JediAkemi
12.29.2017 , 03:25 PM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by Leklor View Post
To be honest, I'm still around the Hand of Thrawn duology and I mostly know the post-ROTJ EU by reputation.
Is it really that bad? I mean, the Vongs, Legacy of the Force, Fate of the Jedi?
Because I read the Legacy comics about Cade Skywalker and while it was far from perfect it was entertaining.
But if it is that bad, I rest my case, what would be the point of sticking to Legends if it's only to adapt the worst of it (Post-ROTJ still)?
The quality of all the old EU stuff largely depends on the vision of the author. Timothy Zahn's vision was a lot closer to the movies than some of the more outlandish things that others added. Personally, I think it's all subjective.
As I said above, I liked most of the NJO.

Leklor's Avatar


Leklor
12.29.2017 , 05:36 PM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by JediAkemi View Post
The quality of all the old EU stuff largely depends on the vision of the author. Timothy Zahn's vision was a lot closer to the movies than some of the more outlandish things that others added. Personally, I think it's all subjective.
As I said above, I liked most of the NJO.
I'll give it a shot, eventually.
I'm not sure I'll go beyond the NJO though.
Too many books to read to just fixate on Star Wars Legends...
This is a referral link, use at your own risk:
http://www.swtor.com/r/l72c4c

DarthDymond's Avatar


DarthDymond
12.29.2017 , 06:29 PM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by Leklor View Post
I'll give it a shot, eventually.
I'm not sure I'll go beyond the NJO though.
Too many books to read to just fixate on Star Wars Legends...
Well NJO is something like twenty novels in itself, so... yeah.
One can only match, move by move, the machinations of fate, and thus defy the tyrannous stars. ~Kain

Refer A Friend Link: http://www.swtor.com/r/2gNj3d to get the free stuff detailed here

MadDutchman's Avatar


MadDutchman
12.29.2017 , 06:55 PM | #28
Quote: Originally Posted by adormitul View Post
Who the hell told you that was no problem? Do have any idea how much **** Lucas got for that oh and the kid for being an Mary Sue and 11 year old kid?
No problem my *** its not the most hated Star Wars movie for now for no reason. Inform yourself.
Did you even read the post you are quoting?

Might want to try it before telling someone to "Inform yourself"
Demand: Are. We. There. Yet.

Use my referral link for free goodies.

adormitul's Avatar


adormitul
12.29.2017 , 09:38 PM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by MadDutchman View Post
Did you even read the post you are quoting?

Might want to try it before telling someone to "Inform yourself"
Oh yeah fair enough he is got an point at least in FA they had help from the inside in New Hope they bent the lasers so they could work.

FlameYOL's Avatar


FlameYOL
12.30.2017 , 07:45 AM | #30
Quote: Originally Posted by DarthDymond View Post
But that's the thing, one person's "they ruined the lore" is another person's "they expanded the lore in a new and interesting way" -- whether you're talking about the Old Republic era EU, the post-RotJ era EU, or the new Disney Canon.
I agree with that, one man's trash is another man's treasure as the saying goes.
A man can have anything...If he's willing to sacrifice everything