Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

"TLJ Destroyed SW Lore!" Uhm, Ever Heard What Legends EU Did? [SPOILERS]

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > STAR WARS Discussion
"TLJ Destroyed SW Lore!" Uhm, Ever Heard What Legends EU Did? [SPOILERS]

AshenK's Avatar


AshenK
12.28.2017 , 06:16 PM | #11
I think I speak for everyone when I say we would take all of that op rather then what TLJ gave us.

All of what you put down had heart and soul put into it. It was loved by the fans and made by fans. All TLJ was made for was so Disney can get a buck.

jarjarloves's Avatar


jarjarloves
12.28.2017 , 07:08 PM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by AshenK View Post
I think I speak for everyone when I say we would take all of that op rather then what TLJ gave us.

All of what you put down had heart and soul put into it. It was loved by the fans and made by fans. All TLJ was made for was so Disney can get a buck.
well good thing you only speak for yourself.

ummm and yeah you couldn't be more wrong about the EU it was made entiarly to make Lucas a buck. He absolutely didn't care about it hence why he constnatly contradicted it and made it non canon himself.

"General Forums you will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy, we must use caution"

MadDutchman's Avatar


MadDutchman
12.28.2017 , 08:16 PM | #13
heh, and you didn't even have to get into the Vong on that list... *shudder*

I was disappointed by the loss of the old republic stories, X-Wing books, Jedi Academy, Han Solo and maybe a few others, but the Emperor reborn crap? the Vong? Killiks? it can stay dead.
Demand: Are. We. There. Yet.

Use my referral link for free goodies.

JediAkemi's Avatar


JediAkemi
12.28.2017 , 10:31 PM | #14
What was wrong with Luke being forced to fight his mad clone... well, apart from Joruus C'Baoth being a cheating git?
It made sense within the context of the story.

Now, granted, I won't say that everything in the old EU was perfect. There were several things that I found ridiculous. There were also things that I really loved.
Wraith Squadron in general, the Thrawn Trilogy, most of the NJO, the Darth Bane trilogy.

Legacy of the Force pretty much killed it for me though - far too much character derailment. Didn't buy anything set after that (Crosscurrent, Riptide, and Millennium Falcon were gifts), and the only "New EU" book I've bought was the Thrawn novel.

Sith-Viscera's Avatar


Sith-Viscera
12.28.2017 , 11:21 PM | #15
You know what it is right? You know why these kids say all this crap? This is why?
http://78.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lo...3yp6o1_500.gif
Referral link, Use it, don't use it. It's what ever. But if you do, Thank You.
http://www.swtor.com/r/22Ct9G

Ylliarus's Avatar


Ylliarus
12.29.2017 , 02:17 AM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by AshenK View Post
I think I speak for everyone when I say we would take all of that op rather then what TLJ gave us.

All of what you put down had heart and soul put into it. It was loved by the fans and made by fans. All TLJ was made for was so Disney can get a buck.
Speak for yourself, you claim to have a majority based on what? Your belief that you have the majority behind you? Sorry to say but most Star Wars lovers out there haven't even bothered with Legends EU and it's only us handful that have waded into it.

And if I had a choice to pick post-RoTJ Legends EU or the new canon I'd gladly pick the new canon. The post-RoTJ Legends EU was a complete mess that created more issues and plotholes for Star Wars than anything else.

I disagree, both the new canon as well as the old was made by Star Wars fans who have put their heart and soul into it. Have you read Aftermath? Bloodline? Leia, Princess of Alderaan or Phasma? The new Vader comic series? All of it is written and made by Star Wars fans who love the franchise just as much as we do and poured their heart and soul into it as well.

Quote: Originally Posted by jarjarloves View Post
well good thing you only speak for yourself.

ummm and yeah you couldn't be more wrong about the EU it was made entiarly to make Lucas a buck. He absolutely didn't care about it hence why he constnatly contradicted it and made it non canon himself.
Exactly. But you know the sad thing about this all? Those who claim to love Legends EU so much consider themselves superior to everyone else, like the poster above me. Instead of going into this debate with sensible arguments they first of all dismiss for example me by speaking of me as "a kid" and secondly they fail to bring anything reasonable to the debate so they instead say "these kids are on dope". I am sure the poster above this post excelled at debate club in high school /sarcasm. I am sure that's how the old folks debated and still debate, just ridicule the opponent until one of them gives up. No wonder politics is such a mess as well as our world with the previous generations having been in charge for so long...

Quote: Originally Posted by MadDutchman View Post
heh, and you didn't even have to get into the Vong on that list... *shudder*

I was disappointed by the loss of the old republic stories, X-Wing books, Jedi Academy, Han Solo and maybe a few others, but the Emperor reborn crap? the Vong? Killiks? it can stay dead.
Please don't start about the Vong... that was something that NEVER should have been brought into the Star Wars lore. Coruscant Vongformed and then terraformed back to normal... in the span of what a few years? Seriously that is just one of the insane things about the entire Vong arc. I am so glad Disney threw that out because it was plain rubbish.

Am I sad that stories like the Old Republic, the Bane trilogy, the Thrawn trilogy or the Plagueis novel were put into Legends as well? Yes, those could have remained part of the canon in my opinion. But I believe that rest is a good riddance.
ATTENTION: Include the Twi'lek into the 3 new eye colours from Appearance Options: Expanded Selections in the next patch. It was a huge mistake to not do this from the start as they are being grossly neglected as a playable species.
Oh yeah, and this is my referral link!

AlienEyeTX's Avatar


AlienEyeTX
12.29.2017 , 10:39 AM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by Ylliarus View Post
Am I sad that stories like the Old Republic, the Bane trilogy, the Thrawn trilogy or the Plagueis novel were put into Legends as well? Yes, those could have remained part of the canon in my opinion. But I believe that rest is a good riddance.
In the end, it's best to just burn the past and then they're free to do their own thing and fix some of the mistakes that were made before.

The old stories can still be fun to read as a "what if." Kind of like reading a book about "what if the British had won the war of American independence," or "What if Germany won WWII." It's all* still good entertainment.

*Ok, not ALL, but you get my point.
You like free stuff, right? Click on this referral link to get yours. I'll get a little something, too. Welcome home. #freethelekku

adormitul's Avatar


adormitul
12.29.2017 , 11:02 AM | #18
Quote:
- Somehow 1 X-wing against the Death Star wasn't a problem in A New Hope? :P there you have basically the same, a few Xwings against an entire battlestation with thousands of starfighters and turbolasers. So if it wasn't a problem there why should it be a problem here. Also, 1 starfighter brought down the Executor Star Destroyer in RoTJ. Why is it suddenly a problem that Poe's X-Wing survived and did all what he did?
Who the hell told you that was no problem? Do have any idea how much **** Lucas got for that oh and the kid for being an Mary Sue and 11 year old kid?
No problem my *** its not the most hated Star Wars movie for now for no reason. Inform yourself.

NuSeC's Avatar


NuSeC
12.29.2017 , 01:22 PM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by FlameYOL View Post
Not anymore.
So what is the complaint here?...
3 server merges and a transfer later...
Kinrath Spider -> Fatman -> Pot5 -> Shadowlands -> Star Forge
GM of <Blue Milk Dairy Farmers>
Elite Warlord Doze - Jugg / Elite Warlord Bigolcritties - Sorc

Leklor's Avatar


Leklor
12.29.2017 , 01:28 PM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by AlienEyeTX View Post
In the end, it's best to just burn the past and then they're free to do their own thing and fix some of the mistakes that were made before.

The old stories can still be fun to read as a "what if." Kind of like reading a book about "what if the British had won the war of American independence," or "What if Germany won WWII." It's all* still good entertainment.

*Ok, not ALL, but you get my point.
More than that, the problem with Legends was that due to the actors' age (For the post ROTJ EU) we would have landed near the end of the Dark Nest Trilogy without much possibilities to explain the context (Sure, they didn't explain it in TFA but there isn't 40 novels worth of major storylines between 6 and 7)... and the post-ROTJ EU mostly starts to collapse at this point anyway.
Regarding the pre-Prequels EU, nothing is set in stone but they seem to be taking a broad stroke approach to it. There is a Malachor in the galaxy but it wasn't the high point of the Mandalorian Wars, it seems to have more in common with Ruusan in the Darth Bane stories (Massive Jedi vs. Sith that ended in mass death due to a Sith "weapon") for example.
This is a referral link, use at your own risk:
http://www.swtor.com/r/l72c4c