Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

"TLJ Destroyed SW Lore!" Uhm, Ever Heard What Legends EU Did? [SPOILERS]

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > STAR WARS Discussion
"TLJ Destroyed SW Lore!" Uhm, Ever Heard What Legends EU Did? [SPOILERS]

Ylliarus
12.28.2017 , 05:37 AM | #1
People complain that the Last Jedi is destroying Star Wars lore and creating a mess of the Star Wars universe. Did those people ever hear what Legends EU did? Some of the utterly insane things it did and no one batted an eyelash?

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Force_storm_(wormhole)
Why build a Death Star? Why build fleets of warships? Why have an army or military at your back when Palpatine can just create a Dark Side storm that rips the fabric of the spacetime continuum and creates hyperspace wormholes capable of ripping apart anything he wanted to! And people complained the Raddus ramming the Supremacy in hyperspace messed up SW lore...

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Harbi...h_dreadnaught)
Time-travelling in Star Wars! Just mess up your hyperdrive and you can travel into the future. And if sabotaging your hyperdrive is too mundane for you just find the Darkstaff!

"A Sith artifact called the Darkstaff was known to have created one of these storms during a critical battle in the New Sith Wars. The storm annihilated the Dark Lord Darth Rivan's Battlelord army and transported him not only through space, but forward in time as well, to the Light and Darkness War, where the Sith Lord met his fate." - Source: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Force_storm_(wormhole)

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Leia_Organa_II
Let's marry a Leia Organa droid and get fried by it during our wedding! Didn't work for Trioculus, a three-eyed mutant that falsely masqueraded as Emperor Palpatine's son. Thank the Force they didn't clone Leia or any other of the heroes... oh wait...

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Luuke_Skywalker
A Luke Skywalker clone called Luuke Skywalker, who is a dark and insane version of him... and people complain that Luke Skywalker was bitter and cold in TLJ when they were seemingly fine with this in Legends EU?

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Callista_Ming
Luke Skywalker falling in love with a dead Jedi that possessed his Apprentice's body after having been stuck in the computers of the Eye of Palpatine for years. The ship is being haunted by Callista who helps Luke and his Padawan fight the ship's malignant AI. Along the way, Callista and Luke fall in love. In the process of destroying the ship, Luke's Padawan sacrifices herself. It's a hard day for Luke. He's got this new girlfriend who doesn't have a body and his new apprentice just got turned into a corpse. A ... hold on, you don't think Luke would ask his ghost girlfriend to ...? No. NO. Oh, come on, Luke. NO. He does it. He lets his ghost girlfriend drive his apprentice's dead body. And she is good to go. She throws her undead parts at Luke repeatedly. She even surprises him by dressing his apprentice's corpse up in lingerie on their second anniversary, but Luke never goes all the way. However, the author does make it clear the two were very physical. Totes normal right? A much better story than TLJ hmm? /sarcasm

What am I trying to show? Before anyone starts saying what plotholes TLJ introduced or how it messed up SW lore, please have a look at Legends EU before that. I can make an even longer list of insane things it introduced, this is just a little sample list!
ATTENTION: Include the Twi'lek into the 3 new eye colours from Appearance Options: Expanded Selections in the next patch. It was a huge mistake to not do this from the start as they are being grossly neglected as a playable species.
Oh yeah, and this is my referral link!

jarjarloves
12.28.2017 , 07:02 AM | #2
great post

yeah I doubt they did. I've read almost every EU book and man... there is some strange stuff in them.

Here's the thing every complaint about TLJ breaking lore is total bs even if you just look at the previous trilogies. There is nothing in TLJ that hasn't happened in the other movies.

I think the complaint is a lot of people are just angry that their speculations theories didn't come true.

i'd also like to add from the Clone Wars cartoon there are 2 babies who are able to use the force at less then 1 year old. They can levitate things with out any training. Yet Rey is called OP and a Mary Sue.

"General Forums you will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy, we must use caution"

pazzakey
12.28.2017 , 07:12 AM | #3
It didn't really mess up the lore, it was just a **** movie.
Harbinger - RIP

Ylliarus
12.28.2017 , 07:34 AM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by jarjarloves View Post
great post

yeah I doubt they did. I've read almost every EU book and man... there is some strange stuff in them.

Here's the thing every complaint about TLJ breaking lore is total bs even if you just look at the previous trilogies. There is nothing in TLJ that hasn't happened in the other movies.

I think the complaint is a lot of people are just angry that their speculations theories didn't come true.

i'd also like to add from the Clone Wars cartoon there are 2 babies who are able to use the force at less then 1 year old. They can levitate things with out any training. Yet Rey is called OP and a Mary Sue.
I completely agree, everything you said is just very much true. People just create issues, supposed plotholes and problems just so they can hate on the movie because their personal fanfiction didn't come true.

Quote: Originally Posted by pazzakey View Post
I heavily disagree. There were a few little flaws but for me the movie was great, a solid 8.7/10.
ATTENTION: Include the Twi'lek into the 3 new eye colours from Appearance Options: Expanded Selections in the next patch. It was a huge mistake to not do this from the start as they are being grossly neglected as a playable species.

TalonVII
12.28.2017 , 07:52 AM | #5
Naaa. I'd go for a meh movie. Not great, not horrible, just an ok movie. I got lucky and caught it on a reduced price so my wife and I got to see it for $8.16. I might go see it again.
Cinematography was on point, acting all around was quite good.

And everyone complained "That's totally against Luke's character" well yes and no. I'll give you two examples.

1. When on the second Death Star, Luke is being goaded by the Emperor, he force grabs his saber and swings, but is stopped by Vader and we're off into their duel. But my point is when Luke ignites his saber, where is he looking, how is he striking? Look back to that moment, his eyes are on PALPATINE and he's attacking PALPATINE. For all Luke knows he's about to kill an unarmed man in cold blood. Only thing that stopped him was Vader.

2. After pummeling Vader down and Palpatine tells him to strike down Vader and take his place, Luke contemplated doing it. He literally teeters on the edge of a razor between light and dark. Yes he comes to his senses and chooses the light side. Now in TLJ what scene does Luke do that as well? Oh wait we all know.

Now I agree Luke shouldn't of gone straight for the nuclear option and do what he did off the bat. That should of been a last resort. I will agree that was out of character. But Luke having doubt, or lack thereof in the case of the Emperor and trying to kill someone, completely not out of character.
Pretty, so what do we blow up first? -Wraith Squadron Motto
Ebon Hawk
Skiratta Legacy

pazzakey
12.28.2017 , 08:02 AM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by Ylliarus View Post
I heavily disagree. There were a few little flaws but for me the movie was great, a solid 8.7/10.
a solid 8.7? The visuals were great, I'll give you that.

Spoiler
Harbinger - RIP

Ylliarus
12.28.2017 , 11:38 AM | #7
a solid 8.7? The visuals were great, I'll give you that.

Spoiler
The visuals were great and for me the story was too.

Spoiler

I am convinced that the group of people that don't like The Last Jedi are simply angry because their expectations and theories didn't come true. They wanted to see their own fanfictions be portrayed on the big screen and when that didn't happen the disappointment clouded their judgement and they came to hate the movie. I didn't go into the movie with expectations, I had my theories but I was completely open to the fact I might not see what I thought I would see or my theories would be proven wrong. It's why I was able to like the movie as much as I did, as I simply saw and enjoyed the movie as it was.

NuSeC
12.28.2017 , 12:48 PM | #8
I may be mistaken, is legends canon?
3 server merges and a transfer later...
Kinrath Spider -> Fatman -> Pot5 -> Shadowlands -> Star Forge
GM of <Blue Milk Dairy Farmers>
Elite Warlord Doze - Jugg / Elite Warlord Bigolcritties - Sorc

FlameYOL
12.28.2017 , 01:04 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by NuSeC View Post
I may be mistaken, is legends canon?
Not anymore.
A man can have anything...If he's willing to sacrifice everything

Ylliarus
12.28.2017 , 05:20 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by FlameYOL View Post
Not anymore.
And thank the Force some of it isn't canon anymore. There are things that I wish were canon, like this game, KOTOR 1 and 2, the Bane trilogy and the Plagueis novel. But others things like the ones I listed in the OP... blergh nope, glad that's gone.