Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

WHY you should be happy they nerfed slicing!

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Crew Skills
WHY you should be happy they nerfed slicing!

Cracker_Jax
12.27.2011 , 11:43 PM | #1
Now I know after they nerfed slicing everyone pretty mad about it that were doing it right.. but here is the positive side:

For example, I have 4,856,342 credits. They are no longer just a meaningless number as the nerf effectively turns off the faucet.

Now.. this has the added affect of just making it difficult for everyone else to obtain the same amount of credits for the same amount of work.

Even If the economy in game picks up and prices stabilize it just increases the perceived value of the credits.

So really the nerf just made us all richer than we were, and keeps newer players from getting as rich as easily as we did, so all we do is win.. see you in the vip lounge.. :smug:

MeToo
12.27.2011 , 11:56 PM | #2
That's exactly my problem. I started playing yesterday. With the huge amount of cash in peoples pockets it effectively starts out new players at a big disadvantage. I'm honestly wondering if it's worth it to keep playing. The people who started 2 weeks ago have the equivalent of probably 3 months of building resources. And I have no effective way to catch up.

Nalestom
12.28.2011 , 12:00 AM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by MeToo View Post
That's exactly my problem. I started playing yesterday. With the huge amount of cash in peoples pockets it effectively starts out new players at a big disadvantage. I'm honestly wondering if it's worth it to keep playing. The people who started 2 weeks ago have the equivalent of probably 3 months of building resources. And I have no effective way to catch up.
The wealth will end up trickling down eventually. After all, a player with a huge pocket is going to want to spend that money eventually, and the best way to spend that money is to buy an awesome item off another player through the GTN.

DustomaticGXC
12.28.2011 , 12:01 AM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by Cracker_Jax View Post
Now I know after they nerfed slicing everyone pretty mad about it that were doing it right.. but here is the positive side:

For example, I have 4,856,342 credits. They are no longer just a meaningless number as the nerf effectively turns off the faucet.

Now.. this has the added affect of just making it difficult for everyone else to obtain the same amount of credits for the same amount of work.

Even If the economy in game picks up and prices stabilize it just increases the perceived value of the credits.

So really the nerf just made us all richer than we were, and keeps newer players from getting as rich as easily as we did, so all we do is win.. see you in the vip lounge.. :smug:
No. The value of credits is at an all-time high right now because people are still leveling. The value will go down steadily until everyone has at least one 50 and the entire server is raking credits at that level (which come much, much faster than they do at 25, 35, even 45.

If Bioware was smart, they would have held off on the nerd and evaluated slicing at that point instead of now, when its profitability is artificially inflated from the current state of server progression.

But hey, maybe they'll buff it at that point when they see it's way, way behind all other gathering skills on top of taking up a mission skill slot without returning any type of raw material.
Don't act like you didn't see this coming.

Lynkfox
12.28.2011 , 12:19 AM | #5
Wow... Really?

In every MMO ive ever played ive started out with nothing and had to build it up without the help of anything like slicing.

now i note that i dotn think slicing needed that much of a nerf... but still. Its not the end of the world. Do your basic gathering skill and sell the mats. youll get money eventually.

KTheAlchemist
12.28.2011 , 12:25 AM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by Lynkfox View Post
Wow... Really?

In every MMO ive ever played ive started out with nothing and had to build it up without the help of anything like slicing.

now i note that i dotn think slicing needed that much of a nerf... but still. Its not the end of the world. Do your basic gathering skill and sell the mats. youll get money eventually.
The broken state of the GT and the self-sufficiency of non-slicing crafters says hi. Mats aren't selling, except to slicers because they had the requisite combination of a lack of self-sufficiency and credits to spare. Now they'll either drop slicing for their appropriate 3rd crewskill for their crafting, or they'll simply stop buying your stuff because they have no spare credits.

You cannot compare this MMO's economy to another's. When the majority of the pop. had a level 50, slicing could be properly evaluated. Right now it was fulfilling a needed part of SWTOR's economy, an income of credits to spend on the things the dedicated crafters were selling. Now you've got a broken machine, and soon enough those without slicing will start realizing how wrong they were to complain when all those crafted items rot on the GT.

Onomas
12.28.2011 , 12:28 AM | #7
Not when 95% of the server does the same thing.

It takes no time to harvest nodes while out killing (gaining xp and credits). Slicing took long times and the return is poor now.

With all the high priced items in this game you will have a hard time as a new player. Sorry but seen mats going for 100+ each and a crafter can not make a good profit in a crafting field unless they charge outrageous prices also. Lo level mats are easy to come by, flood the market and prices will drop so you wont make that amount of money in a few days when everyone switches to gathering skills.

By nerfing slicing you force everyone into scav or bio. This will kill the economy. Rather have slicing make tons than the rest of the crafting field being gimped.

Sleeptastic
12.28.2011 , 12:31 AM | #8
Slicing was not filling a needed roll. Non-slicers selling mats to money rich slicers is a broken economy because why bother selling mats when you could just be a slicer, not have to bother with GTN, and make EVEN MORE money than you could selling mats?

Onomas
12.28.2011 , 12:32 AM | #9
On a side note, people with slicing before nerf would trickle their profits down.Now you wont have that btw. So for all those crying about slicing (when you could have picked it up or just been happy selling higher priced mats to them) you took away the cash flow. Dumbies.

Now have fun filling the void with the high prices of SWTOR items

torokokill
12.28.2011 , 12:35 AM | #10
Once you reach endgame, there is nothing to spend money on other than consumables and repair bills. All gear upgrades are more or less obtained through dungeons/raids/pvp rather than crafting.