Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Strike Fighters are the new meta: more than many realize

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Galactic Starfighter
Strike Fighters are the new meta: more than many realize

Drakkolich
01.08.2018 , 07:09 PM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by XhrisShan View Post
Also, how did the "types" T1/T2/T3 emerge? They're not listed in that order in the hangar.
Edit: Same for "Boy/Girl" bombers.
They were the order in which the ships were released from when the game started.

Types 1 Gunship and bomber were obvious because they were half the price. You started with Type 1 Scout and Strike.

So Naturally the other ships of those types became type 2.

Later on they released a third Scout and Strike in a patch, so they became type 3 of those.

Even later they released a third Gunship and Bomber they became type 3 of those.

The Boy Bomber and Girl Bomber were the terms we used for those when they came out because well we weren't using the "types" yet. The names just stuck for a long time, that some of the "older" vets still use them.
DrakolichDrakolích
The BastionTwitch Stream

LordFell
01.09.2018 , 01:59 AM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by Stellarcrusade View Post
Well said. The incorrect use has bugged me too, perhaps not as much as it has bugged you though...;-)
Everything bugs me more. I am filled with boundless wrath, and persistent malevolence.

...actually, I really, really, like words.

Drakkolich
01.09.2018 , 02:28 AM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by XhrisShan View Post
Thanks. Say, what servers are you normally on?
Sorry missed this question earlier.

We play mostly on Satele and Starforge. Our usual hours are between midnight and 3am EST.
DrakolichDrakolích
The BastionTwitch Stream

Danalon
01.09.2018 , 03:31 AM | #24
Hyperspace Beacon = Hyperraumboje (German)
Boje = buoy

Should call it buoy bomber.

Stellarcrusade
01.09.2018 , 10:05 AM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by Drakkolich View Post
They were the order in which the ships were released from when the game started.

Types 1 Gunship and bomber were obvious because they were half the price. You started with Type 1 Scout and Strike.

So Naturally the other ships of those types became type 2.

Later on they released a third Scout and Strike in a patch, so they became type 3 of those.

Even later they released a third Gunship and Bomber they became type 3 of those.

The Boy Bomber and Girl Bomber were the terms we used for those when they came out because well we weren't using the "types" yet. The names just stuck for a long time, that some of the "older" vets still use them.
The girl-boy and the t1,t2,t3 naming means nothing to those of us who haven't been here since the start so they are slightly off-putting. Maybe the devs should actually classify these in the game, or some forum posts should be more explicit so that everyone can understand. For awhile I was reading it as T1 meant Tier-1.

Ianir
01.09.2018 , 01:03 PM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by Stellarcrusade View Post
The girl-boy and the t1,t2,t3 naming means nothing to those of us who haven't been here since the start so they are slightly off-putting. Maybe the devs should actually classify these in the game, or some forum posts should be more explicit so that everyone can understand. For awhile I was reading it as T1 meant Tier-1.
I'm a relative newcomer to GSF and I eventually learned the terminology. It's not all that hard when you discuss the ships a lot, and it's more convenient/quicker to use the number designation rather than BOTH imp & pub names.

T1F - starguard/rycer
T2F - pike/quell
T3F - clarion/imperium

T1S - novadive/blackbolt
T2S - flashfire/sting
T3S - spearpoint/bloodmark

T1G - quarrel/mangler
T2G - comet breaker/dustmaker
T3G - condor/jurgoran

T1B - rampart/razorwire
T2B - warcarrier/legion
T3B - sledgehammer/decimus

LordFell
01.09.2018 , 02:31 PM | #27
I think our abbrevs. could use a massive overhaul. I've been flying for about 3 years, and I've never before heard of "boy/girl" bombers. I've NEVER seen anyone who uses hydrospanner called "a 35er" -and that doesn't even make sense any more.
...and, honestly, clinging to outmoded terminology is pointless.

Of course, when someone is using jargon, I either...
1) know what they mean, because I've been around
2) can figure out what they mean, through context
3) don't care enough to figure out what they mean, or
4) just make them tell me.

....so, I dunno. If the terminology glossary were sticky more people might use it (and we can report a post to request a sticky) but I'd also want it given a thorough once-over to make sure the glossary we agree on is useful, relevant and makes sense.

phalczen
01.10.2018 , 05:31 AM | #28
Quote: Originally Posted by LordFell View Post
I think our abbrevs. could use a massive overhaul. ...and, honestly, clinging to outmoded terminology is pointless.
I don't think its pointless to distinguish type 1 ships, which are either given for free or cheapest or both, from the other ships which cost more fleet req to buy, although even that is slightly outdated since the T3B and T2G have become free ships since 5.4 I think.
However, if using the nomenclature of Type 1-3 is too confusing, I guess we could use the developer's internal names for the ship subtypes, though the information comes from where the Yallia and Dwarves labor.

Scouts:
T1 = speed
T2 = battle
T3 = support
Strike:
T1 = fighter
T2 = attack
T3 = command
Gunship
T1 = sniper
T2 = missile skiff
T3 = attack skiff
Bomber
T1 = mine layer
T2 = drone carrier
T3 = fighter
If you think I've made a good contribution with this post, I kindly ask that you use my Refer a Friend link! Here is more information about the program.

Danalon
01.10.2018 , 06:14 AM | #29
Added CC ships for completion:

T1F - starguard/rycer & enforcer/gladiator
T2F - pike/quell
T3F - clarion/imperium

T1S - novadive/blackbolt
T2S - flashfire/sting & skybolt/ocula
T3S - spearpoint/bloodmark

T1G - quarrel/mangler & redeemer/mailoc
T2G - comet breaker/dustmaker & strongarm/demolisher
T3G - condor/jurgoran

T1B - rampart/razorwire
T2B - warcarrier/legion & firehauler/onslaught
T3B - sledgehammer/decimus

gsummers
01.10.2018 , 07:42 AM | #30
Many interesting points raised here. It would be nice if they were true. However, I will state again, if you look at the empirical data, what do you see? What do the players whose names you recognize as being good GSF players do?

1. Aces that used to fly scouts all the time now fly strikes
2. Aces that used to fly gunships all the time now fly strikes
3. Aces that used to fly bombers all the time now fly strikes

It's the others that still fly scouts, gunships and bombers.
In space, all warriors are cold warriors