Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Strike Fighters are the new meta: more than many realize

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Galactic Starfighter
Strike Fighters are the new meta: more than many realize

LordFell
01.05.2018 , 02:08 PM | #11
First... it bugs me the way Meta is being used in this context, although this seems to be a sweeping misnomer across video games. Meta literally means, the opposite of what is normal. Anyways....

I think it might be useful to rank the functions of the types of starfighters, in terms of what they should be and see if they reflect how they are...

Speed & Mobility
Scout > Strike > Gunship > Bomber
I think this reflects how things should be, and how they actually are.

Durability
Bomber > Strike > Gunship > Scout
I think this reflects how things should be, and how they actually are.
...actually, I wouldn't mind seeing bombers get a little bit more hull strength.

Ability to Deal Damage
Gunship > Strike > Scout > Bomber
Here... I sort of feel like, the damage per second on railguns might be lower than it should be. Of course, I started playing when you could be minding your own business, when suddenly a gunship does to your fighter what a sledgehammer does to a cherry tomato. And, I guess the question becomes should a gunship be a sniper rifle, or an artillery piece, and I'm still more of a mind-set that a gunship is (or should be) artillery. A literal glass cannon.

Also... the Bomber becomes sort of an odd piece, where in the right circumstances it can do a lot of damage. In and of itself, the bomber doesn't do a lot of damage and it probably shouldn't.

Bringing utility to the Battle
Bomber > Strike > Scout > Gunship
...and here's where the caveat on Bomber damage gets turned around. Maybe the Bomber itself doesn't do a lot of damage, but a well placed Railgun Sentry Drone can make someone's life hard... or short.

And of course, a ships utility has a lot to do with the players build choice, and perception of what utility is. Like, personally the Strike I most often fly provides way more Utility than the Bomber I most often fly. Depending on your perception of utility, an EMP missile maybe provides more utility than a Protorp. And, I guess by utility, I mean "does this help anyone other than me?"

...so, my overall impression is the game is pretty much where it should be. My inclinations (railguns should do slightly more damage, Bombers should have a bit more durability) are things that I am certain lots of people will disagree with, anyways.

Ramalina
01.05.2018 , 06:03 PM | #12
Quote:
denoting something of a higher or second-order kind.
"metalanguage"
It's an abbreviation for meta-game, with meta in the above sense.
"A padawan's master sets their Jedi trial, Rajivari set mine."
- Zhe Lian, Sage.

Twitch

LordFell
01.06.2018 , 02:37 PM | #13
That still strikes me as exactly opposite of the way the word meta should be used.

Meta-gaming is... like... deep study of the mechanics, and discovering that, I dunno... that using an Ion Railgun and a Plasma Railgun is bizarrely and unexpectedly deadly... so you use that combo and no-one else does... THAT is Meta-gaming. Once other people twig to this (entirely imagined) combo, and suddenly that's the default component set for gunships... then it's no longer meta... it's... probably the most accurate term is Best In Slot.

If it's something meta, only a few savants and visionaries are doing it... once everyone is doing it, it's not meta, it's common.

XhrisShan
01.06.2018 , 04:54 PM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by Verain View Post
Girl bombers still do good jobs in TDM, and I think they are still fine there. Boy bombers have problems in Dom and I think these are mostly down to being unable to meaningfully land system mines in even light EMP situations. I'm not sure what would need to change to address this without messing something else up, and I'm also pretty sure that if you had a solid 8v8 you would definitely be running boy bombers just like before, so I'm not sure how much is down to ship and component balance and how much is down to just how the games normally go.
Do you mind clarifying what exactly you mean by "girl bombers" and "boy bombers"?

Drakkolich
01.06.2018 , 08:00 PM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by XhrisShan View Post
Do you mind clarifying what exactly you mean by "girl bombers" and "boy bombers"?
They are really old terms we coined for the Girl bomber Legion/Warcarrier and Boy bomber Razorwire/Rampart.

If you have any other GSF abbreviations and/or slang you can find an explanation to most of them here.
http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=809188
DrakolichDrakolích
The BastionTwitch Stream

Stellarcrusade
01.08.2018 , 09:20 AM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by LordFell View Post
That still strikes me as exactly opposite of the way the word meta should be used.

Meta-gaming is... like... deep study of the mechanics, and discovering that, I dunno... that using an Ion Railgun and a Plasma Railgun is bizarrely and unexpectedly deadly... so you use that combo and no-one else does... THAT is Meta-gaming. Once other people twig to this (entirely imagined) combo, and suddenly that's the default component set for gunships... then it's no longer meta... it's... probably the most accurate term is Best In Slot.

If it's something meta, only a few savants and visionaries are doing it... once everyone is doing it, it's not meta, it's common.
Well said. The incorrect use has bugged me too, perhaps not as much as it has bugged you though...;-)

PlagaNerezza
01.08.2018 , 10:41 AM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by gsummers View Post
Strike fighters are the new dominant ship: a better scout than a scout (missile breaks but with much tougher hull), a better bomber than a bomber (tougher hull and with missile breaks), and by far a better gunship than a gunship (protorps=new rail gun). Over time, I expect we will see matches come to be strike v strike matches only.

I have noticed the following trends:
1. The aces who used to fly scouts now fly strikes
2. The aces who used to fly gunships now fly strikes
3. The aces who used to fly bombers now fly strikes

The inexperienced and new pilots fly bombers, gunships, and scouts; and die.

Also, a personal note of frustration: plasma railgun has got to be the worst weapon in game now. I can hit a strike fighter with a fully charged shot for 1080 damage, and it takes the strike's shields down to only 50%. I have to get another shot in to even start to damage the hull. In the meantime, the strike will sit right in the line of fire and calmly fire a protorp and one-shot my gunship.

As I see it, the only solution is this:
Make a Jedi/Sith floating around in space the new GSF ship, now that it is canon
Damage overcharge powerup and the torpedo is amazing.
Judust Jax
7 days of free subscription! A free server transfer! + More Goodies!
New & Returning Players. Give a Click and Get a Click!
http://www.swtor.com/r/zTCMYK!

Drakkolich
01.08.2018 , 03:16 PM | #18
The "meta" term we use is this one.

Metagaming definition:

Computer games
Recently the term metagame has come to be used by PC Gaming shoutcasters to describe an emergent methodology that is a subset of the basic strategy necessary to play the game at a high level. The definitions of this term are varied but can include "pre-game" theory, behavior prediction, or "ad hoc strategy" depending on the game being played. An example of this would be in StarCraft where a player's previous matches with the same opponent have given them insight into that player's playstyle and may cause them to make certain decisions which would otherwise seem inferior.
DrakolichDrakolích
The BastionTwitch Stream

XhrisShan
01.08.2018 , 05:24 PM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by Drakkolich View Post
They are really old terms we coined for the Girl bomber Legion/Warcarrier and Boy bomber Razorwire/Rampart.

If you have any other GSF abbreviations and/or slang you can find an explanation to most of them here.
http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=809188
Thanks. Say, what servers are you normally on?

XhrisShan
01.08.2018 , 05:26 PM | #20
Also, how did the "types" T1/T2/T3 emerge? They're not listed in that order in the hangar.
Edit: Same for "Boy/Girl" bombers.