Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Companion Romance/Influence Issues

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Companion Romance/Influence Issues

JALlewellyn's Avatar


JALlewellyn
12.25.2017 , 06:09 AM | #1
As I've started trying to romance Vette I noticed a couple of strange things in the affection system that confused me and I'm not sure if they're intentional or accidental.

Firstly, my character is male, and I've noticed that whenever I choose a [Flirt] option with a female NPC the "Vette approves." message appears and after the conversation/quest is over I gain influence with Vette as opposed to losing it.

This came to a head in the mission where Vette goes to meet her old gang. When the option to [Flirt] with her friend (the red skinned Twi'lek) and "take her somewhere private", the "Vette approves." message popped up, but Vette's facial expression and dialogue in the cutscene seemed to she really didn't approve.

I assumed this meant that the system wasn't too detailed and me flirting with her friend wouldn't affect the story going forward, however in the next companion quest I got with her she mentioned (and I'm paraphrasing here) that me taking her friend away for alone time upset her.

This confused me as it seems the approval/disapproval messages and influence numbers are saying something different to the actual cutscenes and storyline.

Additionally, am I correct in saying there used to be text that popped up saying "Vette will remember that." as opposed to "Vette approves/disapproves"? Was this system (which is admittedly vague) replaced in favour of an approval/disapproval system?

I'm assuming the reason she seemingly approves of flirting is that my responses are split into categories, and she "approves" of whenever I'm polite/merciful/social etc. If that's the case, I'd say this was an oversight that should be addressed.

Does anyone else have similar experiences?

SteveTheCynic's Avatar


SteveTheCynic
12.25.2017 , 11:43 AM | #2
I don't think I've ever seen it saying that *Vette* "will remember that". Lana Beniko, yes. Koth Vortena, yes. But not Vette.

I think that for the crew on Nar Shaddaa, she's initially happy that her friend kept you busy so she could talk to the other two, but then she thinks about it and feels the bite of the twisty knife of jealousy.

But hey, I remember when there weren't any words when companions approved or disapproved, just a little pop-up box with how many points they gained or lost.

The general schema is (if you don't have the Gift of the Gab character perk giving bonuses):
* Greatly Approves: +400
* Approves: +200
* Meh: 0
* Disapproves: +50
* Greatly Disapproves: 0
http://www.swtor.com/r/Hg3sV2
Buda-buda-buda-buda-buda-buda-CHING!
PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW!
To go to Belsavis, you must go to Belsavis.

IoNonSoEVero's Avatar


IoNonSoEVero
12.25.2017 , 11:52 AM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by JALlewellyn View Post
Additionally, am I correct in saying there used to be text that popped up saying "Vette will remember that." as opposed to "Vette approves/disapproves"? Was this system (which is admittedly vague) replaced in favour of an approval/disapproval system?
I have never played a male Warrior so I can't help you with the Vette romance, but the class stories only have approve/disapprove companion feedback. There are a few choices that will get a 'greatly' added to that approval or disapproval, but there's nothing more detailed.

The 'will remember that' and being 'interested/amused/' type companion feedback came in with KOTFE.

The only change I can think of is that if a companion disapproves of your choices, you just get less influence points. it doesn't deduct anything from your overall influence score with them.

JALlewellyn's Avatar


JALlewellyn
12.25.2017 , 04:40 PM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by SteveTheCynic View Post
I think that for the crew on Nar Shaddaa, she's initially happy that her friend kept you busy so she could talk to the other two, but then she thinks about it and feels the bite of the twisty knife of jealousy.
That makes sense. Thinking back to when I chose the Flirt option with Lady Grathan, I think Vette approved at first (presumably thinking that I was just flirting with her to try and manipulate her) and then after she stepped in and asked if I was being serious it changed to disapproval.

This explains a lot. I guess also the fact that we're not officially in a relationship (not that far along the storyline yet) she can't be too mad about other women.

Thanks for the explanations guys :-)

SteveTheCynic's Avatar


SteveTheCynic
12.26.2017 , 05:11 AM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by JALlewellyn View Post
That makes sense. Thinking back to when I chose the Flirt option with Lady Grathan, I think Vette approved at first (presumably thinking that I was just flirting with her to try and manipulate her) and then after she stepped in and asked if I was being serious it changed to disapproval.

This explains a lot. I guess also the fact that we're not officially in a relationship (not that far along the storyline yet) she can't be too mad about other women.

Thanks for the explanations guys :-)
With Lady Grathan, she thinks you can do much better. If you have her with you when you do the Darth Lachris mission on Balmorra (purple, started by an Imp trooper tagged "Messenger" near the camp closest to the Balmorran Arms factory), Vette has nothing to say if you [Flirt]. (And yes, you can bed the Darth. And Vette has nothing much to say about it.)

SteveTheCynic's opinion: Darth L is a much better match for the Warrior than Cellvanta Grathan or Jaesa Wilsaam or Vette. Shame it ends the way it ends.
http://www.swtor.com/r/Hg3sV2
Buda-buda-buda-buda-buda-buda-CHING!
PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW!
To go to Belsavis, you must go to Belsavis.

rumpol's Avatar


rumpol
12.27.2017 , 06:14 PM | #6
If you didn't shock Vette then make her watch as your warrior had his happy time with Lady G then you're no Sith..