Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Spoilers and why I did not like TLJ

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > STAR WARS Discussion
Spoilers and why I did not like TLJ

Ylliarus
12.20.2017 , 03:50 PM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by NuSeC View Post
I know people that loved the movie - I do not and that is that. It is what it is, a personal opinion piece just like all the others.

There are obviously people out there like me who did not enjoy it, there are others that loved it. I just wish people would stop attacking others for their opinions on a movie (pro or con). All it proves is how important SW is to people. I am not complaining because I don't care, it is very much the opposite for me and I can promise you that.
I know and understand that and I concur that I might have indeed reacted in a hostile manner. But as you said, I just love Star Wars so much that it hurts me when someone proclaims the franchise to be dying or ruined. I know it's their personal opinion, but it makes me want to react to it, albeit I may react too passionately at times.

It is just that, let me give you an example why I am so passionate: yesterday when I walked from the bus station back home and I suddenly thought "lemme walk by my elementary school for nostalgia" which was practically on my way home. When I walked by I was flooded by memories of how I played outside and play-pretended with my friends we were heroes fighting invisible enemies. And then I saw the most heartwarming scene: a group of children stormed outside, grabbed some sticks from the ground and started "I am Finn!" "I am Kylo Ren!" "NO I want to be Kylo Ren!" "I am Rey!" "No I am Rey you can be someone else!". I smiled to myself when I saw it and it was just heartwarming to see. It also reminded me that there is an entire generation of fans growing up on these movies now and that is Star Wars to them, the new movies. It's not only about us, the veteran fans, but also about the new ones who grow up on this.
The Twi'lek Crusader
It is time for the Twi'lek species to receive new appearance customization options, because they have been neglected since launch.
If you agree with this... do please click on my referral link!

NuSeC
12.20.2017 , 03:54 PM | #22
Answers in orange.

Quote: Originally Posted by AlienEyeTX View Post
Spoiler

LMAO!!! Don't like women or people of color? Are you really this clueless that you are just going to call me racist and misogynist because I don't agree with another person's reasoning/false facts/political idealism or identity politics?
Kinrath Spider -> Fatman -> Pot5 -> Shadowlands -> Star Forge
`````` `````` ``````

Elite Warlord Doze - Jugg / Elite Warlord Doz's Sorc - Sorc

AlienEyeTX
12.20.2017 , 03:58 PM | #23
Answers in orange.
I don't recall making those specific accusations.

Then again, you don't seem to be refuting it, either. I just read some lines you wrote and made an observation. I don't know a thing about you, bub.
You like free stuff, right? Click on this referral link to get yours. I'll get a little something, too. Welcome home. #freethelekku

NuSeC
12.20.2017 , 04:04 PM | #24
I don't recall making those specific accusations.

Then again, you don't seem to be refuting it, either. I just read some lines you wrote and gave my analysis. I don't know a thing about you, bub.
So if I call you a name and you do not refute it, then that is what you are? - Instead of just ignoring the accusation and pointing out how stupid it was in the first place.
`````` `````` ``````

AlienEyeTX
12.20.2017 , 04:10 PM | #25
So if I call you a name and you do not refute it, then that is what you are? - Instead of just ignoring the accusation and pointing out how stupid it was in the first place.
But you didn't ignore it. You specifically referenced it. And I can't help what you wrote. I'm sure that I'm not the only one who read it the way that I did.

Maybe you should try something other than the "tough guy" approach to your writing. It takes away from your message and does you no credit. And now that has thrown us off topic and we're discussing your prejudices against people rather than your prejudices against the movie. I bet you'd rather be discussing the movie. So would I.

So, again, how does the presence of the female characters and diversity of the cast take away from the film/story? You implied that it did and I'm curious as to how so.
You like free stuff, right? Click on this referral link to get yours. I'll get a little something, too. Welcome home. #freethelekku

NuSeC
12.20.2017 , 04:28 PM | #26
Answers in orange
But you didn't ignore it. You specifically referenced it. And I can't help what you wrote. I'm sure that I'm not the only one who read it the way that I did.

I did not reply with confirmation nor denial, I simply pointed out you made a claim about my ethics/prejudices based on ridicules assumptions. Not agreeing with SJWs does not make you racist nor anti-women - a stupid connection YOU made at the end of your post

Maybe you should try something other than the "tough guy" approach to your writing. It takes away from your message and does you no credit. And now that has thrown us off topic and we're discussing your prejudices against people rather than your prejudices against the movie. I bet you'd rather be discussing the movie. So would I.

Says the guy calling someone a racist.

So, again, how does the presence of the female characters and diversity of the cast take away from the film/story? You implied that it did and I'm curious as to how so.

I did? I implied that "the presence of the female characters and diversity of the cast take away from the film/story" Where did I do that?
`````` `````` ``````

NuSeC
12.20.2017 , 04:50 PM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by Leklor View Post
I personally disagree about that. The way they used Luke on Crait, considering he was probably slated to die even before a single line of script was written, made perfect sence in the context of that story.
By doing the Force Projection thing, he slowed down Kylo Ren, humiliated him (Made him lose his temper in front of Hux, demanded to stop the assault to go confront him only to turn out that he wasn't even really there) and allowed the Resistance to escape. Making Crait a form of pyhric victory for the Resistance (Now apparently the Rebellion again?)
If Luke had gone for real, there are a few possibilities as to how it could have gone:
-Kylo Ren somehow gets the upper hand and outright kills Luke, showing his power to the watching First Order and destroying morale for the Resistance
-Luke lets Kylo Ren kill him by doing an Obi-Wan. The First Order will still probably see Kylo as the man who slew Luke Skywalker no matter what and while his death won't harm the Resistance's morale as much but he might have been perceived as giving up.
-Luke destroys the First Order's forces on the ground, leading to two possible options: Kylo Ren and Hux die, leaving the trilogy with no vilain. Or they escape and the damaged but very much functionnal First Order Fleet intercepts the Resistance leaving aboard the Falcon, since they don't have to coordinate troops on the ground anymore.
-Luke flees with the Resistance, appearing still rather weak and un-dedicated to the fight.

Sure, Luke's death hurts. It was sad to see. But considering how low he was early on in the movie, his return was a complete victory as far as I'm concerned.
But I get it if you disagree, as discussed, this is how I interpret the ending
I like the theory crafting you are doing but the real answer here is any number of things can transpire in a story. I was looking more at the continuity overall. For me, the math is not there. :/ you may have no idea how sad that makes me.
`````` `````` ``````

AlienEyeTX
12.20.2017 , 07:41 PM | #28
Answers in orange
Ok, I went back and re-read. You never said anything about the diversity in the OP. I apologize. But I also never called you a racist. I do think I may have confused someone else's post with yours, though.

However, you did say, 'The SJW is strong in this move. "All men are dumb, weak or overly dramatic/aggressive."'

So, I won't take anything back about that. There were plenty of strong men in the movie. Poe is strong (though misguided), Luke is strong, Kylo is strong, Snoke is strong, DJ is strong... the list goes on. The film is filled with strong personalities. That's what you get when you deal with bosses.

AlienEyeTX
12.20.2017 , 07:44 PM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by Leklor View Post
I personally disagree about that. The way they used Luke on Crait, considering he was probably slated to die even before a single line of script was written, made perfect sence in the context of that story.
By doing the Force Projection thing, he slowed down Kylo Ren, humiliated him (Made him lose his temper in front of Hux, demanded to stop the assault to go confront him only to turn out that he wasn't even really there) and allowed the Resistance to escape. Making Crait a form of pyhric victory for the Resistance (Now apparently the Rebellion again?)
If Luke had gone for real, there are a few possibilities as to how it could have gone:
-Kylo Ren somehow gets the upper hand and outright kills Luke, showing his power to the watching First Order and destroying morale for the Resistance
-Luke lets Kylo Ren kill him by doing an Obi-Wan. The First Order will still probably see Kylo as the man who slew Luke Skywalker no matter what and while his death won't harm the Resistance's morale as much but he might have been perceived as giving up.
-Luke destroys the First Order's forces on the ground, leading to two possible options: Kylo Ren and Hux die, leaving the trilogy with no vilain. Or they escape and the damaged but very much functionnal First Order Fleet intercepts the Resistance leaving aboard the Falcon, since they don't have to coordinate troops on the ground anymore.
-Luke flees with the Resistance, appearing still rather weak and un-dedicated to the fight.

Sure, Luke's death hurts. It was sad to see. But considering how low he was early on in the movie, his return was a complete victory as far as I'm concerned.
But I get it if you disagree, as discussed, this is how I interpret the ending
Agreed. Well-put.

NuSeC
12.20.2017 , 09:23 PM | #30
But I also never called you a racist.
~snip
Ehem...

Spoiler

Really? You sure did insinuate the "bantha fodder" out of it.
From bad to worse. And if you think Luke, Kylo, Finn or Poe are strong male leads in this movie well... I think that speaks for itself.
`````` `````` ``````