Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Mercs / commandos still the god class in pvp

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
Mercs / commandos still the god class in pvp

Floplag
12.21.2017 , 08:11 AM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by Kazz_Devlin View Post
First off you have deal with sever lag so could be a delay. Not all but some visual ques that abilities have are hard to see when a camera is zoomed out , Next you have visual ques from other abilities that actually drown out the visuals such as the healing globe , hell even mercs own abilities like the 20% dmg reduce shield (i.e the blue one) drowns out the yellow so don't give me that "don't shoot the merc" bs! It's high time you stopped defending poor execution and lack of vision by the dev's.
Merc is a DPS spec so you should be a glass fricken cannon YOU DON"T COME CLOSE! The fact that these idiot dev's lack the foresight to fore see that granting a DPS spec heals when hit is essentially a heal to full! There's just to many factors especially when in fight with multiple opponents!
It's simple DPS are glass cannons & hybrids are mediocre dmg and mediocre tanks because you have to neuter their DPS because they have to much survival a hybrid shouldn't be out DPSing pure DPS spec! To do otherwise make playing a pure DPS class moot, why play them when I can put out DPS equivalent to them plus survive their onslaught! WHICH IS CLEARLY AND PAINFULLY EVIDENT BY EVERY MATCH WHICH HAS AT LEAST 3 mercs and three snipers!
Giving heals on dmg to dps spec's was a mistake from the get go unless you give to all none should have it!
8 or more seconds of lag? Sorry, no. These are mechanics that have pre-existed in the game in many forms, how do you handle those?

The Glass canon argument is silly, it really is. You just invalidated literally every class in the game not a healer or tank. And with how high those are tuned right now if your analogy was accurate we would all be globaled in every fight. You want pure dps survivability tuned down, you either have to increase the damage output significantly or you have to cut way back on the amount of dps tanks do, how guard works, and healing output. In short revamp the entire game. No MMO has the glass canon anymore, not if it supports PvP as they would be utterly invalid.

The bottom line you are another player who wants every fight on your terms, instead of adapting to the variety of different options that present themselves in PvP. Its a you problem, not a Merc problem. Each class presents unique challenges, some are always more difficult than others and who that is varies from release to release. You must adapt to that, the game doesn't adapt to you.
Floplag - Merc/Mando
Referral link, cause why not: http://www.swtor.com/r/wdLxth

Glower
12.21.2017 , 08:17 AM | #22
ITT: Mercs are not FOTY(year) and not overpowered killing machines, L2P.
SWTOR goes F2P; 2014 PvP FAQ, A: "We have no plans at this time" (c)
2014 cantina, A: "They’d love to do that at some point, but technically very challenging and unlikely to happen in the near future." (c)
2016 livestream: "RNG is exciting"; Summer 2018 PvP changes - finally, Bioware delivers...

Stellarcrusade
12.21.2017 , 08:39 AM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by Floplag View Post
Show us on the doll where the bad Merc touched you.... Seriously though, i for one and getting really tired of this dialog. Its so full of half truth and exaggerations its mind boggling.

Mercs DCDs are only at their strongest when you pew pew into them. I would have thought by now that would be obvious and people would have adjusted to how the mechanics work, but they haven't.

Most people still want to stand thier and face tank us and save the cooldowns they should be using to counter us for when they want to use them rather than when they should use them. If you sit there and unload into us healing us up to full 2-3 times, that is 100% a you problem, not a Merc problem.

The more i look around the landscape today the less i feel sorry for being a Merc main. I wasn't here for the real obscenities of the last year having only returned a couple moths ago, but as things are today we are not even the most broken, not even close, we are about third at best.
I had a merc as my main in 4.0, when it really was a challenge to play it. Now its a joke. So are you ok if they just switch mercs back to what they were in 4.0? They could hit somewhat hard but you look their way they die instantly? Otherwise admit range doesn't need 4 lives.

NuSeC
12.21.2017 , 08:46 AM | #24
Show us on the doll where the bad Merc touched you.... Seriously though, i for one and getting really tired of this dialog. Its so full of half truth and exaggerations its mind boggling.

Mercs DCDs are only at their strongest when you pew pew into them. I would have thought by now that would be obvious and people would have adjusted to how the mechanics work, but they haven't.

Most people still want to stand thier and face tank us and save the cooldowns they should be using to counter us for when they want to use them rather than when they should use them. If you sit there and unload into us healing us up to full 2-3 times, that is 100% a you problem, not a Merc problem.

The more i look around the landscape today the less i feel sorry for being a Merc main. I wasn't here for the real obscenities of the last year having only returned a couple moths ago, but as things are today we are not even the most broken, not even close, we are about third at best.

The biggest single issue is that a ranged class should not have those cool-downs and should not be face tanking 3+ people. Also, No other class can literally just sit there with cool-downs and be able to do damage in return for anywhere near that period of time PLUS heal themselves. I think Sorcs should be able to do damage/heal when they use force barrier if that is the case.
3 server merges and a transfer later...
Kinrath Spider -> Fatman -> Pot5 -> Shadowlands -> Star Forge
GM of <Blue Milk Dairy Farmers>
Elite Warlord Doze - Jugg / Elite Warlord Bigolcritties - Sorc

zhezvya
12.21.2017 , 08:47 AM | #25
No MMO has the glass canon anymore, not if it supports PvP as they would be utterly invalid.
What about AP PT? It shouldn't be in this game if the latter is true. It is a glass cannon- hits hard, dies fast.
How an AP PT is a thing in the same game where we have 5.0 Arsenal or Engi?
Kira Kira A-ko

Glower
12.21.2017 , 08:53 AM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by zhezvya View Post
What about AP PT? It shouldn't be in this game if the latter is true. It is a glass cannon- hits hard, dies fast.
How an AP PT is a thing in the same game where we have 5.0 Arsenal or Engi?
Don't push it so hard, he will just ignore that message and go on with his own judgement.
SWTOR goes F2P; 2014 PvP FAQ, A: "We have no plans at this time" (c)
2014 cantina, A: "They’d love to do that at some point, but technically very challenging and unlikely to happen in the near future." (c)
2016 livestream: "RNG is exciting"; Summer 2018 PvP changes - finally, Bioware delivers...

Floplag
12.21.2017 , 09:10 AM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by Stellarcrusade View Post
I had a merc as my main in 4.0, when it really was a challenge to play it. Now its a joke. So are you ok if they just switch mercs back to what they were in 4.0? They could hit somewhat hard but you look their way they die instantly? Otherwise admit range doesn't need 4 lives.
You want to talk about pre 5.0, fine, lets do that.

During that entire time i spoke out in defense of my class suggesting how to fix it, many times, to the point of making myself a pariah and literally getting hate mail that i still get to this day, and you know what i was told... "You suck, its not the class its you", or "Mercs are fine, L2P.

Mercs were fodder pre 5.0 and if it was in fact your main you know that as well as i do. Would i be OK with going back to that again, of course not, neither would you.

Were they given too much with 5.0, yes. Are they the most over tuned class today, no.

Please, enough with the exaggeration. The 3-4 lives thing is literally nonsense and tells me unquestionably that you are ignoring the mechanics. I have fought many other Mercs and I have never caused that. I'm a terrible player or so I've been told so you good players surely should be able to handle that far better than i can.
Floplag - Merc/Mando

Greezt
12.21.2017 , 09:18 AM | #28
Quote: Originally Posted by Purgamentorum View Post
What visual clues do you get about some of the mara and jugg defences? juggs started the whole reflect shield bit, but it's only a problem now so many other classes have it? But most of all and really I do not understand why this isn't discussed more

What about operatives? 5% heal every 25 seconds, evasion with cool down reduced when attacked, stealth, spamable slows, the revitalizer utility give that one to Pt's, and last but by no means least ..... The biggest reflect shield of all that turns 150% of damage to sender on what sheild? EVASION. So you can't be hit it's really low in CD and you reduce CD when attacked. This is a melee class that can stealth into ranged and back out, and heal itself, and so much more. If you are worried about anything mercs can do reroll operative, they have net (evaded) and stealth scan (game of chance) to counter.

oh and nerf OPeratives.
I just want to point out that evasion is one of the most easily avoided cooldowns in the game. Stun the op and voila! no defense chance, you can use melee/ranged damage and not fear their evil reflect. Also, worth noting that ops have to take time off their DPS to heal themselves (like any offhealing DPS class) unless they take utilities for two abilities. The only way to avoid merc reflect is AOE, and let me tell you it's super annoying that as a shadow my technique will still proc from AOE, so they'll still get a heal out of it. But even if that weren't the case, your DPS is basically nonexistent against them for the duration of reflect, while you can absolutely deal damage to ops (or shadows) with their reflects up.

But hey, they're comparable!

Floplag
12.21.2017 , 09:24 AM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by NuSeC View Post
The biggest single issue is that a ranged class should not have those cool-downs and should not be face tanking 3+ people. Also, No other class can literally just sit there with cool-downs and be able to do damage in return for anywhere near that period of time PLUS heal themselves. I think Sorcs should be able to do damage/heal when they use force barrier if that is the case.
I would argue no class period, why are you focused only on ranged? 3+ people should take down anything, including tanks or healers, in a short period of time. Not to mention that if i'm face tanking i'm not AT range so thats moot.

If i'm stupid enough to stand there between 3 maras/Juggs/Pts etc... going to get burned down regardless of cooldowns in short order, and you know it. True you wont global us... sorry, i guess.

I must however point out that we are not healing ourselves for the most part, YOU are healing us by misplaying the mechanics.

Oh and Sorcs CAN act while using their shields, barrier is a different animal. Our shields do not make us invulnerable, i have died with literally all cooldowns active due to the volume of damage being applied overwhelming the shields, it can happen, it cannot in the case of barrier. Apples/Oranges
Floplag - Merc/Mando

Floplag
12.21.2017 , 09:30 AM | #30
Quote: Originally Posted by Greezt View Post
I just want to point out that evasion is one of the most easily avoided cooldowns in the game. Stun the op and voila! no defense chance, you can use melee/ranged damage and not fear their evil reflect. Also, worth noting that ops have to take time off their DPS to heal themselves (like any offhealing DPS class) unless they take utilities for two abilities. The only way to avoid merc reflect is AOE, and let me tell you it's super annoying that as a shadow my technique will still proc from AOE, so they'll still get a heal out of it. But even if that weren't the case, your DPS is basically nonexistent against them for the duration of reflect, while you can absolutely deal damage to ops (or shadows) with their reflects up.

But hey, they're comparable!
If that were your only option i would agree, but its not.

I'm done with this, its pointless, you guys literally want it both ways.
Floplag - Merc/Mando