Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

*Spoilers* Will Lana Become Unhinged?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
*Spoilers* Will Lana Become Unhinged?

Jesseriah
12.20.2017 , 08:19 AM | #11
I really, REALLY hope BW is getting rid of lana/theron soon. I dont know why people still like these characters after what..3 expansions and 3 or 4 flashpoints before? I mean they were okay before and in SoR but really.. do we really have to play with only lana/theron the next 3 expansions too? And i can literally see how they put lana/theron in the next expansion too instead of giving us something NEW. What about NEW characters/companions/whatever. (And no, i dont want my old comps back -_- I want NEW STORY and NEW PERSONALITIES ffs Bioware)
Use this Link: http://www.swtor.com/r/8gTtm9 for FREE Charaktertransfer and more!

Tamyn
12.20.2017 , 03:42 PM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by Celise View Post
will she go off the deep end? no. It's more likely she will follow the commander into hell if it meant being there to defend the commander and if needed, to die for the commander.
"Would you die for me, Lana?"
"Of course!"
"Promise..?"

https://i.giphy.com/LVfWj9oqPNhZe.gif
Quote: Originally Posted by XiamaraSimi View Post
This is Bioware, where fashion goes to die.

Batwer
12.20.2017 , 03:58 PM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by SerraShar View Post
whaaaaat? of course not . She is hurt because she trusted Theron , I think she feel the betrayer more then the player lol who half wanna smooche him and the other half wanna kill him because of his new haircut
Definitely the hairstyle is to blame. I might still have shown mercy, but that does not work.
Für Neueinsteiger und Rückkehrer:
klick mich: http://www.swtor.com/r/zwyYS6

McBaal
12.22.2017 , 02:24 AM | #14
I doubt that, mostly from a development perspective.

1) Sex sells, most players want a romance during their video game experience and it is a Bioware signature.

2) The "1 story fits all" way the game is heading since after RotHC means that every "kill NPC" option will cause trouble and angry players. Killable companions, especially if romancable, will most likely never again get any romance dialogues (hiring the voice actors for the different languages is too expensive for companions that might be dead already). Keeping both, Lana and Theron, is in Biowares best interest.

3) Lanas entire backstory is a story about an unconventional Sith. She never embraced the dark side in the same way a mainstream Sith does. She balances her emotions with rational thinking and already did so during her time on Korriban. Also she is a patriot, but not to the unquestioning level. In all her decisions she shows a stunning level of pragmatism, even if under pressure. IF Theron is a double agent, and it looks that way, she most likely acknowledges the necessity of his plan, just like she considered handing him over to the Revanites was necessary and call it even. Mutual distrust and the commander will have to balance them both out during heated debates.

IMO the game is leaving the Knights story line behind and resumes to the more traditional Republic vs Empire storyline. The Alliance will fall one way or another (maybe consumed eather by the Empire or the Republic during a weakened state) and the next expansion most likely handles a new, post alliance storyline. Lana returns to the Empire, Theron to the Republic, the former commander somewhere in between with Lana and Theron as crossover NPCs during missions.

Celise
12.22.2017 , 02:39 AM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by Tamyn View Post
"Would you die for me, Lana?"
"Of course!"
"Promise..?"

https://i.giphy.com/LVfWj9oqPNhZe.gif
way to butcher a quote to suit your own needs *Slow claps*

Dracofish
12.22.2017 , 07:25 AM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by Jesseriah View Post
I really, REALLY hope BW is getting rid of lana/theron soon. I dont know why people still like these characters after what..3 expansions and 3 or 4 flashpoints before? I mean they were okay before and in SoR but really.. do we really have to play with only lana/theron the next 3 expansions too? And i can literally see how they put lana/theron in the next expansion too instead of giving us something NEW. What about NEW characters/companions/whatever. (And no, i dont want my old comps back -_- I want NEW STORY and NEW PERSONALITIES ffs Bioware)
Because most players are romancing one or the other.
Me on Ao3! MelissaGT

Dracofish
12.22.2017 , 07:32 AM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by McBaal View Post
I doubt that, mostly from a development perspective.

1) Sex sells, most players want a romance during their video game experience and it is a Bioware signature.

2) The "1 story fits all" way the game is heading since after RotHC means that every "kill NPC" option will cause trouble and angry players. Killable companions, especially if romancable, will most likely never again get any romance dialogues (hiring the voice actors for the different languages is too expensive for companions that might be dead already). Keeping both, Lana and Theron, is in Biowares best interest.

3) Lanas entire backstory is a story about an unconventional Sith. She never embraced the dark side in the same way a mainstream Sith does. She balances her emotions with rational thinking and already did so during her time on Korriban. Also she is a patriot, but not to the unquestioning level. In all her decisions she shows a stunning level of pragmatism, even if under pressure. IF Theron is a double agent, and it looks that way, she most likely acknowledges the necessity of his plan, just like she considered handing him over to the Revanites was necessary and call it even. Mutual distrust and the commander will have to balance them both out during heated debates.
I agree with all of this...

Quote:
IMO the game is leaving the Knights story line behind and resumes to the more traditional Republic vs Empire storyline. The Alliance will fall one way or another (maybe consumed eather by the Empire or the Republic during a weakened state) and the next expansion most likely handles a new, post alliance storyline. Lana returns to the Empire, Theron to the Republic, the former commander somewhere in between with Lana and Theron as crossover NPCs during missions.
My opinion differs here because while I think Lana *could* have the potential to return to her old faction, I don't see that as a possibility for Theron in any way if the Commander chose to align with the Empire. He's made his bed in throwing in with the Alliance. We know now that he is a double-agent and is still working for the Alliance. Where we go, he goes.

I just don't see there being any story with returning to the old factions. The Commander is the Commander...if he/she falls out of power, they're not going to go crawling back to their old faction...and many of us crossed factions anyways (I know all of mine, even my Jedi characters, sided with the Empire). And Zakuul as a place isn't just going to go *poof* into the ether. Regardless of the status of the Alliance, your character is still the reigning sovereign of Zakuul.

A factionless Outlander/Commander would be...a nobody and there would be no story without there being a faction *behind* our character.

I don't see BioWare removing either one of them, Lana or Theron, because they are the only romance companions who have not yet been turned into paperweights. Get rid of one or the other and you'll alienate half of the players. Even though I do believe there should be a "kill" option for those who would like to take it, I just don't see that happening for the above reason. At best, I believe we can expect an unsatisfactory hand-wave with us having to welcome Theron back after it all comes out that he never really betrayed us (even though dropping a train on our heads because "there's no way the Commander would die there" is a pretty silly way of showing it).

Not to mention I still have a niggling thought that Lana is in on this whole thing. She could very well have sent that letter as a way of throwing the Commander off...because the immediately previous conversation has the Commander openly postulating that Theron is a double-agent with her being like "well, um..."
Me on Ao3! MelissaGT

IoNonSoEVero
12.22.2017 , 07:53 AM | #18
I think the difference between this and the situation where Theron was thrown to the Revanites is that the latter only really endangered Theron. What's happening in the story now has almost killed the Commander several times, has endangered a lot of people in the Alliance and the faction ally and has launched a galactic war. I still can't see Lana going along with endangering the Commander that way. She does say she'll destroy the stars if it means the Commander will be safe, but still.

And if she is in on it, IMHO it could irreparably damage the romance with her and her position in the Alliance because she's essentially lied to the Commander's face, and who can trust her or Theron after that?

It's a good point that as of right now, Theron and Lana are the only romanceable characters left in the game with any part in the story, and hopefully Bioware realizes that and won't thrown them away (and that goes for Lana too - I feel like the F/F community is always overlooked and ignored when people refer to Lana as a F/M romance - IMHO that's really not her primary fan base, Ladies lose if either Theron or Lana go away).

I think it's another good point that there's really no way I can see to satisfactorily return to one's faction unless they end up becoming the Sith Empress/Emperor or the Republic Chancellor or something. They're a galactic leader now and it would be a real step down to go back to being a Dark Council member or something. Theron's disillusioned enough that he might defect to the Empire but I cannot see Lana ever wanting to go Republic, either.

Dracofish
12.22.2017 , 08:45 AM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by IoNonSoEVero View Post

And if she is in on it, IMHO it could irreparably damage the romance with her and her position in the Alliance because she's essentially lied to the Commander's face, and who can trust her or Theron after that?
As crappy as that may be, that would be kind of the point though. Those who have romanced Theron have a really big, ugly pill to swallow...like one of those horse pills that just will not go down no matter how much water and bread you stuff down your throat...it just keeps coming back...just like how we have to sit on the fact that Theron undermined our authority and made us look like fools in front of the galaxy. He may have had our best interest in mind (because let's face it, Theron does really dumb shiz in the name of what he thinks is right, especially when there's love and fear of abandonment hanging over his head). But that won't be enough for a lot of people to be able to forgive him.

We kinda could call "fairsies" on Lana-mancers...but like I said, it does suck.

The way I see this is, that what happens to one, kinda has to happen to the other in some way, shape, or form to keep the fandom even.

BW had so much potential for awesome story if they'd just involved the Commander, like The Great Spy Caper...but nope. We have this...complete...total...mess.
Me on Ao3! MelissaGT

IoNonSoEVero
12.22.2017 , 09:07 AM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by Dracofish View Post
As crappy as that may be, that would be kind of the point though. Those who have romanced Theron have a really big, ugly pill to swallow...like one of those horse pills that just will not go down no matter how much water and bread you stuff down your throat...it just keeps coming back...just like how we have to sit on the fact that Theron undermined our authority and made us look like fools in front of the galaxy. He may have had our best interest in mind (because let's face it, Theron does really dumb shiz in the name of what he thinks is right, especially when there's love and fear of abandonment hanging over his head). But that won't be enough for a lot of people to be able to forgive him.

We kinda could call "fairsies" on Lana-mancers...but like I said, it does suck.

The way I see this is, that what happens to one, kinda has to happen to the other in some way, shape, or form to keep the fandom even.

BW had so much potential for awesome story if they'd just involved the Commander, like The Great Spy Caper...but nope. We have this...complete...total...mess.
Yeah, there were so many things they could have done...but didn't. And they gave us this fiasco instead.

I do think that if there's an option to kill or exile one, there will also be a way to do the same for the other, in the name of balance. If they want to clear everyone out for a new expac, well, here's their chance.

But IMHO it's not going to be because Lana was in on this. As I said, I really don't see her being in on this. I think it's far more likely that there will be one critical point where the player will be forced into a situation where they choose one, like the Torian/Vette choice. OR, alternatively, the situation will turn out in such a way that neither is at risk.

I actually don't think that it will be fair if they get rid of Lana, even if Theron goes, though. F/F players have nobody else In. The. Game. If you've romanced Theron and he goes, yeah, it sucks, but if you play through another character you have other choices if you're F/M. If you're a gay man, you have another option in Koth (I know he's not popular, but technically it counts, and it's possible to play through *without* him betraying you), and the rumor has it that Arcann will also be a playersexual character.

But if they mess up Lana irreparably, and it means that the ONLY F/F option in the entirety of the game has a bad ending, it particularly bites.