Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Women have to slap men in order to appear strong? Spoilers

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > STAR WARS Discussion
Women have to slap men in order to appear strong? Spoilers

Narasil
12.16.2017 , 07:16 PM | #1
Yeah, I don't get it. All the "strong women" BS in The Last Jedi is just that. Rey is just as impulsive when she runs off half assed, but isn't called on it. Leia slaps Poe like he's a kid, that's not a strong woman, that's a weak *** excuse for a human being. That's appearing strong at the expense of someone else and not on your own merits. It's just showing you're as big a ******* as the men who behave like that....

Horrible movie on almost every count.
"A government is a body of people, usually, notably ungoverned"-Shepard Book.

LeGrindMax
12.17.2017 , 05:15 AM | #2
Yeah, but that's Rian Johnson's fault
-JJ would have never shown a slap in the face
-JJ would have never written a pointless second act like the Hondo subplot for the sake of agressive feminism

If you wanna see equality done RIGHT, re-watch Rogue One or TFA

Rian Johnson is a bizarre hack

annabethchase
12.17.2017 , 10:33 PM | #3
To be fair, General Hux also slapped Finn. So there's that to ponder.
Thinking about subbing? Use this link to help us both out http://www.swtor.com/r/3txb7F

that_Spartan_IV
12.17.2017 , 10:40 PM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by annabethchase View Post
To be fair, General Hux also slapped Finn. So there's that to ponder.
Exactly the point though, women slapping men.
"Two there should be, no more, no less."

theraginwookie
12.18.2017 , 06:02 AM | #5
For some reason men always feel intimidated when they see a strong woman and instantly hate something because of it. They seem to think that all women are supposed to be shrinking violets or always in some kind of distress and need a man to get them out of it. That is just sexist and stupid. The real thing that is killing this country is close mindedness and the inability to see things from another perspective. So you are welcome to your opinion, even though it is ignorant and misogynistic. Oh and I am a man by the way and no I'm not gay.

Ylliarus
12.18.2017 , 08:47 AM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by theraginwookie View Post
For some reason men always feel intimidated when they see a strong woman and instantly hate something because of it. They seem to think that all women are supposed to be shrinking violets or always in some kind of distress and need a man to get them out of it. That is just sexist and stupid. The real thing that is killing this country is close mindedness and the inability to see things from another perspective. So you are welcome to your opinion, even though it is ignorant and misogynistic. Oh and I am a man by the way and no I'm not gay.
This, very much this, it is simply completely and utterly true. I say this as a man and being gay, but whether you are straight or not shouldn't have much weight in the matter when it comes to battling sexism, discrimination and stupidity.

I as a matter of fact adore strong female characters, whenever I was little and we play-pretended to be heroes on adventures I always chose to be a female character, I never was interested in pretending to be a male character. I found female warriors to be more admirable and still do.
ATTENTION: Include the Twi'lek into the 3 new eye colours from Appearance Options: Expanded Selections in the next patch. It was a huge mistake to not do this from the start as they are being grossly neglected as a playable species.
Oh yeah, and this is my referral link!

CaulderBenson
12.18.2017 , 09:30 AM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by theraginwookie View Post
Your comment is factually incorrect.

Ellen Ripley from the Alien franchise is one of the coolest, toughest, and most beloved females in Sci-Fi films. When you break down the demographics for the Alien franchise the majority of its fans are male.

Sarah Connor from Terminator is held in the same regard. Again, mostly male fans.

Wonder Woman was just released and made over 800 million world wide. Comic book movies are a mostly male demographic.

Samus Aran from Metroid? Lara Croft from Tomb Raider? Gamers are mostly male.

Captain Janeway from Star Trek Voyager? The lead of the tv series? The vast majority of Star Trek's audience are males.

Princess Leia from the original Trilogy, comics, and the expanded universe? Star Wars is predominately made up of male fans. Even the demographics for the Last Jedi prove this yet again.

Mara Jade is a huge fan favorite. Again the large majority of Star Wars fans reading the comics, buying the books, buying the action figures are all male.

I'm neither agreeing nor disagreeing with the original post, but the idea that men don't like strong women in fiction is statistically and factually incorrect when the majority of fans for Sci-Fi, horror, and comic books are males and they determine whether these particular properties are successful. The numbers and continued success of these female characters directly contradicts your version of reality.

I could go on and list even more strong females that are adored by male fans if you like.

Seireeni
12.18.2017 , 09:45 AM | #8
I haven't seen any of the movies mentioned, but I agree that resorting to violence is not a mark of a strong person or character, male or female. A male character doesn't need to punch people in the face in order to be strong, why would female character need to do so? All they are showing is lack of impulse control and/or anger management issues.
There is a face beneath this mask but it's not me.
Darth Malgus - And some alts on Satele Shan and Star Forge - The Firslay Legacy
referral link http://www.swtor.com/r/J24zRp

AlienEyeTX
12.18.2017 , 01:53 PM | #9
Some people need to be told to sit down. Others have to be shown the seat.
You like free stuff, right? Click on this referral link to get yours. I'll get a little something, too. Welcome home. #freethelekku

Leklor
12.18.2017 , 03:15 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by CaulderBenson View Post
Your comment is factually incorrect.

Ellen Ripley from the Alien franchise is one of the coolest, toughest, and most beloved females in Sci-Fi films. When you break down the demographics for the Alien franchise the majority of its fans are male.

Sarah Connor from Terminator is held in the same regard. Again, mostly male fans.

Wonder Woman was just released and made over 800 million world wide. Comic book movies are a mostly male demographic.

Samus Aran from Metroid? Lara Croft from Tomb Raider? Gamers are mostly male.

Captain Janeway from Star Trek Voyager? The lead of the tv series? The vast majority of Star Trek's audience are males.

Princess Leia from the original Trilogy, comics, and the expanded universe? Star Wars is predominately made up of male fans. Even the demographics for the Last Jedi prove this yet again.

Mara Jade is a huge fan favorite. Again the large majority of Star Wars fans reading the comics, buying the books, buying the action figures are all male.

I'm neither agreeing nor disagreeing with the original post, but the idea that men don't like strong women in fiction is statistically and factually incorrect when the majority of fans for Sci-Fi, horror, and comic books are males and they determine whether these particular properties are successful. The numbers and continued success of these female characters directly contradicts your version of reality.

I could go on and list even more strong females that are adored by male fans if you like.
I think the term "Strong women" is incorrect in the OP. It should be "Women in position of authority not afraid to show it via physical means"
As for that scene in general, can the OP go cry wolf about evil feminism somewhere else?
Leia is pretty much justified at this moment. She ordered Poe to retreat to the Raddus but he foolishly ordered the bombers forward to destroy the Dreadnaught, endangering the Raddus, getting every single bomber and crew wiped out and wasting precious time all to wave his dick around and say he did some damage to the First Order.
So I can understand Leia's anger and immediate demotion of Poe because it's part of his character arc.
Remember when Leia slaps Poe again on Crait when he correctly understand Luke's ploy and leads the Resistance to safety? Yeah, me neither. At this moment Poe as finally understood the lesson about commanding that Leia was teaching him.
If it was really a question of feminism, Poe would have been locked up after the mutiny and left to die on the Raddus or something. And Kaydel Co Connix would have become the new commander of the Resistance. But it didn't happened like that because Poe learned restraint.
This is a referral link, use at your own risk:
http://www.swtor.com/r/l72c4c