Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Clarification Request; Nvidia GeForce Promotion

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Clarification Request; Nvidia GeForce Promotion
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Ignobull
12.07.2017 , 05:42 PM | #31
Considering the reaction to the random loot boxes in SWBF2, who came up with this idea of randomly giving out codes to a certain group of players, as a promotion of?? randomness?????

Costello
12.07.2017 , 07:08 PM | #32
Was it meant to be a SWBF2 promotion and given the negative money grabbing publicity that game has generated did it get swapped to SWTOR.

It seems an odd time to opt to do this promotion, no new expansions a different star wars title being released and this is the one that a promotion is for. Why wasn't this done when Kotet launched, why wait a year?

Andryah
12.07.2017 , 07:27 PM | #33
Yeah.... not going to bother with this.

I generally loathe installing some companies client (even a well known company like Nvidia), just because they want me to.

Couple that with the fact that it is a "chance" rather then "surety"..... nope.. forget about it.

It's not like I need yet another mount or some armor that a bunch of other players will have. If either the mount or the armor was something spectacular... then maybe it would entice.. but they really are not that distinctive in my view.

@Bioware do better promotions next time. Clearly you are providing the actual items to a good redeem code, so clearly you could have worked out better terms and certainty for your players. Or are you getting a kick-back from Nvidia for every redeem code issued and applied to a player account?
Current use of smartphones and computers have already become such a part of who we are to which he sees them as an extension of everyday life that makes us “cyborgs. Further, AI is a serious potential risk to the future of humanity.
- Elon Musk

Andryah
12.07.2017 , 07:31 PM | #34
Quote: Originally Posted by EricMusco View Post
[*]A lot!
This sounds remarkably similar to "Soon"

ie: vague, imprecise, and open ended.

Surely you can get the actual number of awards planned from Nvidia, so that players at least know the general odds before they bother jumping through hoops with Nvidia.

And making a promotion that deliberately excludes players that do not have Nividia GPUs, as well as countries being excluded... is ... well... it's not good look. It's not a surprising look, but still.. not a good one.
Current use of smartphones and computers have already become such a part of who we are to which he sees them as an extension of everyday life that makes us “cyborgs. Further, AI is a serious potential risk to the future of humanity.
- Elon Musk

Holocron
12.07.2017 , 07:42 PM | #35
Quote: Originally Posted by Andryah View Post

Surely you can get the actual number of awards planned from Nvidia, so that players at least know the general odds before they bother jumping through hoops with Nvidia.

And making a promotion that deliberately excludes players that do not have Nividia GPUs, as well as countries being excluded... is ... well... it's not good look. It's not a surprising look, but still.. not a good one.
The countries issue is out of their control. Plenty of countries have very restrictive guidelines for what can and can't be done. So we shouldn't hold that against them. However, I'm not saying that they devs shouldn't work around those issues, but really they seem kind of moot, as anyone can sign up for the nvidia experience and potentially get the code.

^ My referral link above is like a one night stand ^
You'll enjoy it...I'll enjoy it...And no one has to sneak out

Andryah
12.07.2017 , 08:15 PM | #36
Quote: Originally Posted by Holocron View Post
The countries issue is out of their control. Plenty of countries have very restrictive guidelines for what can and can't be done. So we shouldn't hold that against them. However, I'm not saying that they devs shouldn't work around those issues, but really they seem kind of moot, as anyone can sign up for the nvidia experience and potentially get the code.
I can understand the country restrictions for something that is part of a contest, or other promotion.. which clearly this one is.

Which then begs the question... WHY make it something that gets restricted by certain countries? IF.. IF you have players in a country.. then stop freezing them out of promotions. Take a different approach. While it does not affect me in this case (even if I were to apply).... it's weaksauce by the studio... which probably will just tell us it is something EA negotiated and decided on at the corporate level with Nvidia.
- Elon Musk

Holocron
12.07.2017 , 08:26 PM | #37
I can understand the country restrictions for something that is part of a contest, or other promotion.. which clearly this one is.

Which then begs the question... WHY make it something that gets restricted by certain countries? IF.. IF you have players in a country.. then stop freezing them out of promotions. Take a different approach. While it does not affect me in this case (even if I were to apply).... it's weaksauce by the studio... which probably will just tell us it is something EA negotiated and decided on at the corporate level with Nvidia.
I actually suspect the reverse of that. I think nVidia is the one shopping around to game companies trying to get better adoption of it's drivers, leading to better hardware performances, and thus leading to better customer impressions for them as a whole. Which is also why it's not a equal promotion for people with other graphics solutions such as AMD, or intel.

^ My referral link above is like a one night stand ^
You'll enjoy it...I'll enjoy it...And no one has to sneak out

ChunkyGoodness
12.07.2017 , 10:06 PM | #38

Why restrict where a code is given then? Like the Cantina events they have? Not everyone lives in NY or LA so we can't all go to the event to get a code.

LordTurin
12.07.2017 , 10:13 PM | #39

Legal restrictions. What may be legal in the US is not necessarily legal in Denmark, or Switzerland, or Russia.
Dragonslayer Mitthendil the Revanchist - Mercenary ||
Mitth'raw'nurudo from Beyond - Powertech || Elenmil the Revanchist - Scoundrel
Click this to say thank you if my post was helpful! :
http://www.swtor.com/r/lGKMGB

Bakgrind
12.07.2017 , 10:42 PM | #40

Technically it's Soon™