Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

So, I just finished SoR, and Charles Boyd was full of it with his KOTFE Retcon

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
So, I just finished SoR, and Charles Boyd was full of it with his KOTFE Retcon

YlliyaXor
12.07.2017 , 05:17 AM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by Storm-Cutter View Post
Taken form all the posts on the subject of story, it would appear that most players have noted decline in quality of writing in the last few years.

TBH better fan-fiction is posted in the forums, better writing is everywhere.

~To shoe-horn every old class story into a one-size-(doesn't) fit all was the biggest mistake ever.

It was cheap and it felt and played cheaply.
It also started on Ilum. I liked Ziost and Oricon but why the Dread Lords or the nearly omnipotent Emperor think my goofy smuggler is a threat to them is a mystery.

TonyTricicolo
12.07.2017 , 05:31 AM | #12
The best part of the whole Kofte story was when we forged a superweapon to kill Arcann within some force sensitive cave, that just so happened to be not that far from where we reside on Odessen, only to end up not even using it in the end. What's this shield s**t we're doing right now is what I thought to myself. I nearly spilled coffee on my keyboard from laughing so hard....and the kicker was that Arcann still didn't die. Dude has even thicker plot armor then I had on. Ha Ha ha!! lol
Fortune and glory, kid! Fortune and glory!!
Referral Link: http://www.swtor.com/r/vNnj3G

Eshvara
12.07.2017 , 05:38 AM | #13
People always blame Charles Boyd but, to my memory he wasn't lead writer until after kotfe.
Hairy Co-pilot.
👀

Ylliarus
12.07.2017 , 05:38 AM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by TonyTricicolo View Post
The best part of the whole Kofte story was when we forged a superweapon to kill Arcann within some force sensitive cave, that just so happened to be not that far from where we reside on Odessen, only to end up not even using it in the end. What's this shield s**t we're doing right now is what I thought to myself. I nearly spilled coffee on my keyboard from laughing so hard....and the kicker was that Arcann still didn't die. Dude has even thicker plot armor then I had on. Ha Ha ha!! lol
KotFE and KotET were a story experiment that in my opinion failed and backfired. I think the devs wanted to sail on the waves of The Force Awakens too badly and opted to also flow on the "shades or gray" and "alternative side" current. Sadly, the story became damaged, the population of the game declined severely and they haven't been able to bring back all the players that went away. They forced Zakuul and the Eternal Alliance down our throats and now it seems a bit as if they are surprised people turned away and left after the force feeding.

When the new Star Wars trilogy went to explore the whole "more than light and dark", "shades of gray" and "alternative side" themes, Star Wars The Old Republic should have stuck with their roots and what made them successful in the first place, and thus they should have remained traditional Star Wars. And now sadly the devs are too afraid to admit they made a mistake with KotFE and KotET and the story keeps on going and players are turning away more and more.
ATTENTION: Include the Twi'lek into the 3 new eye colours from Appearance Options: Expanded Selections in the next patch. It was a huge mistake to not do this from the start as they are being grossly neglected as a playable species.
Oh yeah, and this is my referral link!

Ylliarus
12.07.2017 , 05:41 AM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by Eshvara View Post
People always blame Charles Boyd but, to my memory he wasn't lead writer until after kotfe.
I blame whoever thought up that SWTOR should go down the "shades of gray" theme that has been going on with the new trilogy movies. Sure, interesting theme but it's enough that it is being explored in the movies, we don't need it in SWTOR. Whether that was Charles Boyd or not I don't know, but whoever came up with the retcon idea that came with KotFE and KotET instead of continuing traditional Star Wars and the amazing pre-KotFE storylines made a grand mistake that the game is paying for now with a declining playerbase.
ATTENTION: Include the Twi'lek into the 3 new eye colours from Appearance Options: Expanded Selections in the next patch. It was a huge mistake to not do this from the start as they are being grossly neglected as a playable species.

Costello
12.07.2017 , 05:46 AM | #16
The story would have been better if the Sith Emperor had died on Yavin 4 and Kotfe was its own story with twin conquerors and a bearded old emperor that does not live in your head and does not make it out that you alone in all the galaxy was special.

Hell the Sith Emperor should have stayed dead as he was on Makeb and the story moved forward. Instead of always being dragged back to the same big bad. I'm sure the current story arc will tie back to the Emperor again in some way.

Sadly though, I think they are just winding down till EA decides its not profitable anymore. We are down to 5 servers, has anyone seen the numbers on their sever that would make them think there are 5,000 unique accounts. Even including free to play it would be optimistic at this point to hope there are 25,000 people playing the game.

So with the state of the galaxy where there are massively diverging story lines as far as Empire and Republic go but a one size fits all story around the character, short of another 5 year nap and galaxy reset I don't see how they can hope to get a story to work. Half makes me expect that the thing Theron is after is a time machine to reset the Kotfe mess, but you just can't do that after 2 years of Story. It would make the Dallas I just had the strangest dream fiasco seem like masterful writing.

Eshvara
12.07.2017 , 05:46 AM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by Ylliarus View Post
I blame whoever thought up that SWTOR should go down the "shades of gray" theme that has been going on with the new trilogy movies. Sure, interesting theme but it's enough that it is being explored in the movies, we don't need it in SWTOR. Whether that was Charles Boyd or not I don't know, but whoever came up with the retcon idea that came with KotFE and KotET instead of continuing traditional Star Wars and the amazing pre-KotFE storylines made a grand mistake that the game is paying for now with a declining playerbase.
I don't really think it's a bad thing. It is sad that certain things cannot continue because of what happened to certain characters, but a story going through phases is interesting to me. It shouldn't go on forever with the alliance and stuff though.
Hairy Co-pilot.
👀

Ylliarus
12.07.2017 , 05:59 AM | #18
Quote: Originally Posted by Eshvara View Post
I don't really think it's a bad thing. It is sad that certain things cannot continue because of what happened to certain characters, but a story going through phases is interesting to me. It shouldn't go on forever with the alliance and stuff though.
Sadly it seems we are stuck in the Alliance. I hate it all because of that fact, that we don't seem to be getting the choice to abandon the Alliance and return to the Empire or Republic. I hope I am wrong, I really am. I just want to be done with the entire Zakuul and Eternal Alliance debacle and return to the roots of SWTOR

Darth-Obvious
12.07.2017 , 09:31 AM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by Ylliarus View Post
KotFE and KotET were a story experiment that in my opinion failed and backfired. I think the devs wanted to sail on the waves of The Force Awakens too badly and opted to also flow on the "shades or gray" and "alternative side" current. Sadly, the story became damaged, the population of the game declined severely and they haven't been able to bring back all the players that went away. They forced Zakuul and the Eternal Alliance down our throats and now it seems a bit as if they are surprised people turned away and left after the force feeding.

When the new Star Wars trilogy went to explore the whole "more than light and dark", "shades of gray" and "alternative side" themes, Star Wars The Old Republic should have stuck with their roots and what made them successful in the first place, and thus they should have remained traditional Star Wars. And now sadly the devs are too afraid to admit they made a mistake with KotFE and KotET and the story keeps on going and players are turning away more and more.
The devs wouldn't have any idea what the plotlines were for the new movies were especially within the time frame KOTFE was written in so there's no point in blaming or even suggesting it was the new movies.

Also in the Entertaiment Weekly article Rian Johnson confirmed that the new trilogy never had any sort of outline. JJ didn't have anything planned for Eps 8 and 9 when making 7 and as such Johnson had free reign to do whatever he wanted on Last Jedi as long as Kathleen Kennedy approved it. So even the new movies didn't know the direction they were going.

JennyFlynn
12.07.2017 , 09:46 AM | #20
Didn't Charles Boyd make a seriously long post months back explaining certain things while admitting other stuff is yet to be answered?
--------{---({@ Defiant Devotion | | Defying Destiny @}}>---}-------