Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Powertech AP Is it still viable?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
Powertech AP Is it still viable?

KendraP
12.07.2017 , 08:37 AM | #11
PT has even worse issues than Guardian dps. I.e. perfectly good damage but squishy as crap. The "buffs" granted to the two classes were a joke too. Not sure how it affected sin since I don't play that regularly.

My guild started running imp side some and I have 3 juggs, 2 PTs, and a sin (the only class I do any form of damage on is vigi guardian / veng juggie, so the PTs and sin are tanks). Playing my PT tank makes me miss my guardian tanks. I can only imagine that if I feel squishy as a tank (an actual one fyi since this guy has no skank gear... yet anyway) , it can only be worse in the dps department. That said, the harpoon is nice.... Yeah I'm trying to find a plus lol.

Note I do have a VG pub side but little reason to play him over the like 10 guardians I have that I'm better at anyway.

Thaladan
12.07.2017 , 09:26 AM | #12
they were already the weakest class in the beginning of 5.0 and after for AP PT :

- they nerfed prototype missile silos, especially shatter slug damage

- they nerfed stabilized armor, especially 30% damage reduction while stunned.

leap is still bugued..

so No it's not really viable, more than frustrating tbh.
Elite warlord sorcerer- sniper - powertech

Kazz_Devlin
12.07.2017 , 09:28 AM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by DenariusJay View Post
For regs yes. You can top DPS boards quite abit but you WILL die alot. 8-12 deaths for a PT is pretty common nowadays.

For ranked, unless your some savant at this game, PT (dps spec) is not viable.
Hello, That's the whole dang point they are suppose too! It's a simple concept DPS|Tank|Heals the trinity system pure DPS specs are glass cannons they do insane DPS then die that's their role. Along comes Biofail the epic fail of mmo and implements the Hybrid class which puts out insane DPS but also has huge survival i.e. ....your merc's, Sniper's, jugs etc etc high bursting DPS specs with 3-4 lives depending on which OP class your running. They break trinity always have always will you can't have I win classes because human nature being what it is people will flock to the one that gives them the edge and it doesn't take a mental giant to realize ....Hey wait a minute if i spec into a merc I can do a crap ton of damage if not more and not die like I would on a SIN or a PT. At the very least if you absolutely have to have a hybrid class then you adhere to the rule where they do LESS DPS then pure DPS spec's! It's common fricken sense you have uber defense your DPS gets nerfed because after all your now a hybrid and I don't mean the lazy lame #$$ crap these GFS dev's did to merc either that was a complete joke didn't do a dang thing.

Raansu
12.07.2017 , 09:56 AM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by Kazz_Devlin View Post
Hello, That's the whole dang point they are suppose too! It's a simple concept DPS|Tank|Heals the trinity system pure DPS specs are glass cannons they do insane DPS then die that's their role. Along comes Biofail the epic fail of mmo and implements the Hybrid class which puts out insane DPS but also has huge survival i.e. ....your merc's, Sniper's, jugs etc etc high bursting DPS specs with 3-4 lives depending on which OP class your running. They break trinity always have always will you can't have I win classes because human nature being what it is people will flock to the one that gives them the edge and it doesn't take a mental giant to realize ....Hey wait a minute if i spec into a merc I can do a crap ton of damage if not more and not die like I would on a SIN or a PT. At the very least if you absolutely have to have a hybrid class then you adhere to the rule where they do LESS DPS then pure DPS spec's! It's common fricken sense you have uber defense your DPS gets nerfed because after all your now a hybrid and I don't mean the lazy lame #$$ crap these GFS dev's did to merc either that was a complete joke didn't do a dang thing.
The problem is arenas. So many classes getting so much self healing was because solo ranked was the only thing that ever consistently popped and 98% of the time it was 4dps vs 4dps. Ever since they added in arenas the balancing act got 10x worse. The patch before arenas were introduced the game was actually really damn balanced. Not perfect, but it was damn good.

Schoock
12.07.2017 , 12:59 PM | #15
I'm not going to be popular with this, but I'll leave it here anyway:

Powertechs are fine. For the damage and burst potential they have, their defensives are properly tuned. What is not fine, is almost all the other classes that have been made into walking trinities.
Faction imbalance is the scientific term for saying player skills mature at a later age than that of the intended audience of a certain faction.

Ne'laa & other Mentally Challenged from The Red Eclipse - Gone for good

Monterone
12.07.2017 , 01:39 PM | #16
I've been playing my AP PT recently and the burst is insane, still probably the best burst in the game. However, the survivability is crap - they are literally the glass cannon in this game.

It's easy to put up top numbers, have top kills but you will have a few more deaths as well, so be ready for that.
Saminette . Silk
Satele Shan

rolandps
12.07.2017 , 02:29 PM | #17
PT AP - since 30% dmg red remove while stunned, it's not playable in SR. In TR it's fun to play, but if you're up against a better playing cancer setup you'll die within the first 2minutes. Also vs Hardswap teams, you won't survive the 4th or 5th hardswap, doesn't matter how good you play.

PT DOT - It's never been good in PvP I guess, but still fun to play. Even in TR. The DPS numbers are all right, but survivability is even worse than on AP.

PT TANK - Some way they even increased all defense chance from 25% up to 35% with explosive fuel - though it's already fotm class. I guess it's the only playable class in PvP. As some ppl already posted before on this thread, maybe.

ANYWAY - PT has been my fav 2 years ago, it's still my fav and it will always stay my fav class to play.

One good thing would be to actually add one or two dcds for PT DD. Don't add for PT tank. But fkn add some dmg red for DD speccs. So that it's playable again. And the burst isn't the best anymore either, so dcd buff is honestly fair.
autismftw

DarkEcIipse
12.07.2017 , 03:18 PM | #18
I found myself really struggling with ranked. Without a healer and a tank. When it's 4 vs 4 dps team the dps classes in the opposing team will just hammer into you. Instant death= 0dps = no medals. And your fellow team members will rage at you.

Regs seems like the only place where you stand a chance
█||||()█Ξ█████████████████████)
"Use my referral link and realise your true destiny as a Sith Lord!Your TRUH PAWAHHH!"-7 day free sub

Thaladan
12.07.2017 , 09:37 PM | #19
only skanktank is viable..the last nerf for jugg/PT/shadow was terrible..

the 30% stun reduction damage is only for tank now, guess wich spec is the only viable now..

bioware..
Elite warlord sorcerer- sniper - powertech

Turn-XGundam
12.07.2017 , 10:35 PM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by DarkEcIipse View Post
I found myself really struggling with ranked. Without a healer and a tank. When it's 4 vs 4 dps team the dps classes in the opposing team will just hammer into you. Instant death= 0dps = no medals. And your fellow team members will rage at you.

Regs seems like the only place where you stand a chance
the class is focused in ranked because its easy to kill, same for dps sorc and juggs.
you focus them, kill them and once its 4vs3 your team gets a pretty big advantage