Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Boss HP for new Flashpoint: TatC -- Let's Discuss...

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Boss HP for new Flashpoint: TatC -- Let's Discuss...
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

LordArtemis
11.30.2017 , 08:08 PM | #11
IMO this flashpoint would be quite a bit better if they did one of three things for solo mode....

1) Allow us the use of the GSI droid.
2) Reduce the overall health of all three bosses by about 50 percent.
3) Add mechanics of some sort that can substantially reduce the level of health that the bosses have during the fight.

There are plenty of ways to do this....turrets, some kind of arc device you activate, a single shock, some kind of special weakening beam, something to boost our damage output, etc.

LordFell
11.30.2017 , 08:08 PM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by ravedark View Post
I don't mind it. It should maintain a certain amount of difficulty and/or tedium to justify the value of the decoration and armor drops.
uhm.

Tedium should never be an acceptable way of balancing effort vs. rewards.
Is it difficult enough to warrant rewards? ok.
Is it enough of a time investment to warrant rewards? ok.
...are we BORING YOU? oh, heck. Let us make it up to you with rewards. Not OK.

Nah.

Sounds like this needs some tuning.

ravedark
11.30.2017 , 08:36 PM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by LordFell View Post
uhm.

Tedium should never be an acceptable way of balancing effort vs. rewards.
Is it difficult enough to warrant rewards? ok.
Is it enough of a time investment to warrant rewards? ok.
...are we BORING YOU? oh, heck. Let us make it up to you with rewards. Not OK.

Nah.

Sounds like this needs some tuning.
Maybe for the continuation of the story it should be easier, I agree. However, for the story mode (with a companion of your choice) if it were any easier than it already is it'd just be an unreasonable credit farm. Also, I'm running 230 gear with a 32 influence comp, and the most each run takes me is just over an hour. Considering you really only need to do it once for the story, this is a very reasonable trade off. I've already made around 7mil credits in about 5 runs and still have decorations for sale in the GTN.

IoNonSoEVero
11.30.2017 , 08:39 PM | #14
The bosses weren't bad in this in terms of mechanics and I rather liked going up and down the catwalk during the second fight - but yeah. Way too long. I used three heroic moments in each fight with my tank and she was not struggling at all. With a 5 minute cooldown for each HM that is about 15 minutes for each fight...45 minutes in this flashpoint just on hitting the bosses over and over again.

Aside from that, I thought the FP itself was brilliant...loved exploring the city; loved the scenery; loved the decos that dropped. I felt like everything about this flashpoint was way superior to Iokath and Umbara.

Ozzymandos
11.30.2017 , 08:48 PM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by Jdast View Post
Hopefully, this will be viewed as constructive feedback. And, hey, this is my second non-white knighting post in as many days (and ever lolz )...

With respect to the new Flashpoint, Traitor among the Chiss (TatC): This post starts from the assumption that the following two premises are true -- that boss encounters are a function of two primary variables:

1) Do you understand and are capable of responding to the mechanics; and

2) (If solo) are you properly geared, know your rotations, and have the correct traits chosen.

I have now run the FP 6 times including 4 DPS, 1 Tank, 1 Healer. Let's also stipulate that with the tank and healer spec, the boss fights will take longer, but your survivability is higher. I think most would agree that is an acceptable trade-off.

While I like the clear distinction of phases between the bosses, they take a LONG, LONG time to take down. The characters I ran through were all minimum Ilvl 242, including augments, though some admittedly were at 220, not 228.

But once you know the mechanics of the fight -- spending the next couple minutes in each phase doing the exact same thing, knowing you won't die because even Ensign Temple Healer Level 1 (or DPS depending on spec) could keep you alive, got old fast.

Proposed solution: Shave some of the HP off the bosses. While some may call me a noob crying out for a nerf -- it's really about not getting bored in some of the fights.

Regards,

Dasty
People wonder why I tend to avoid doing end-game story content, and this is the reason: plot armor.

In a nutshell, the story-line here is ok. The mechanics of the flashpoint are boring and drawn out by tons of high HP champs. It's a grind on my Knight. Less so on my Merc.

It was too long, the jumps between the movies and intro/exits to and from the dungeon are jarring and the boss fights were nothing but HP slugfests with cheater mechanics like the ability to stun you when you can stun or interrupt back.

This is why I have 23 characters. The first 50 levels in the original game were just more fun. I don't care if I ever see a Mary Sue villain who gets whooped only to cut to movie to showcase how awesome he is ever again. While this FP mostly avoided that, it still felt absolutely the same.

Where were these Chiss champs when I was fighting the Eternal Throne. They could have solo'ed most of the bad guys from that (eventually).

Nothing but love for SWTOR. I play, and PAY, after all, multiple times a month, but your new stuff feels lazy.

YlliyaXor
11.30.2017 , 09:16 PM | #16
I think they just forgot to add GSIsus, with him this would have been closer to normal story mode difficulty.

It's not just the bosses, all mobs have more hp than normal.

The flashpoint seems to be a bit borked, if you miss a cutscene on solo mode you can't see it ever again on that char.

Keta
11.30.2017 , 09:34 PM | #17
I ran through it twice yesterday. The first time in Solo mode on my Jedi Shadow. I do know his rotations and play him fairly well in solo pve. Since he could stealth I just bypassed 90% of the 5 billion mobs that have too many hit points and make your character feel like it's been nerfed. I found the second boss extremely annoying and completely not fun. "Oh look he's instantly popped to the second level." So Up I'd go. "Oh look he's interrupted me again (and again and ...) and popped back down." Wash, rinse and repeat until I was ready to vomit (it's a figure of speech, I was actually sipping espresso at the time). With a level 1 Temple healing this was way not fun. Nor were any of the other bosses.

The second run through was on a Sith Sorcerer in Solo mode again (the real story mode ) -- so I had to kill those 5 billion mobs. It's been long enough since I've played her regularly that my lightning ways are rather rusty so it was doubly not fun and by the time I had her rotations and optimization down? Pfft too late to salvage much fun out of it. At least this time I brought enough bribes for Temple to get her up to around 20 something. Still not fun.

Long and short: Won't do this fp again, including on my Agent who is supposedly married to Temple.

Really I thought they had flipped the difficulty levels with the solo and story levels. Story, as in the game story, should be a sampler and similar to the harder difficulty modes, it should not be "veteran" mode. I was fairly convinced that's what they had done, but since BW hasn't commented on the many threads on exactly that topic, I'd say it's working as intended.

I really don't care about the boss mechanics at this point or how to be more efficient. Requiring me to grind through that large a number of combined HP's just to have 3 minutes of cut-scenes advancing the story just isn't worth it. Next time I'll just read the mined reddit threads.

Just my 2 credits worth.
Yes, another referral link; click it or don't. Free stuff for you, free stuff for me.

Ioue
11.30.2017 , 10:46 PM | #18
Quote: Originally Posted by YlliyaXor View Post
I think they just forgot to add GSIsus, with him this would have been closer to normal story mode difficulty.

It's not just the bosses, all mobs have more hp than normal.

The flashpoint seems to be a bit borked, if you miss a cutscene on solo mode you can't see it ever again on that char.
Adding GSI would have been very helpful while I ran it with my SI for the first time.

Also, while Copero is beautiful, the map is so cluttered! Not just with adds but with decorations! Doesn't help the adds use stealth! The last stage was ok compared to the first half because there was a bit more room. I would want that level of detail when I'm just taking in the scenery, not getting shanked.

Not to mention Raina a required comp for Solo and that she'll be lv 1 influence unless you have tons of gifts or played Agent.

Eshvara
11.30.2017 , 11:34 PM | #19
Initially, "As a story mode victim" I thought this FP was awful as the bosses had too much HP, but once I swapped to solo, it wasn't too bad tbh. I had a level 1 Raina all through the instance.
Hairy Co-pilot.
👀

LordTurin
11.30.2017 , 11:43 PM | #20
Honestly, this is one of those times I really really wish BW had some kind of metric in game showing people as to how much dps people they are actually doing, instead of what they think they are doing (doesn't have to be public), as I'll bet a lot of people would be surprised by the difference.

The HP may be a tad too high, but all the fights took me under 4 minutes except the ice cat one, which took me 5 minutes. and the 2nd and final fight both took me under 3 minutes (and apparently the first boss you are basically supposed to ignore the adds, as they just keep respawning, so I could easily do that in under 3, and I had temple at level 1 on heals, so switching her to dps would be faster too).

Now, BW should not be balancing stuff like this around me (248s, nim raider), that's for sure, but still, I feel like expecting someone to do around half my dps is not unreasonable for something like this, which if you want each fight to be around 5 minutes would end up being a pretty small nerf. And a 5 minute boss fight seems reasonable too (would be longer for tanks and heals no matter what, and that's a legitimate issue BW needs to figure out).

As far as the adds, ya they were super annoying, but up until the first boss you can just run past them up to the boss, die, and respawn right there. Shouldn't have to, but that's what I did since I didn't want to spend an hour in the FP

To be clear, I blame BW for this, not anyone else, as BW doesn't teach rotations, nor give any kind of feedback about how good you are doing, as expecting someone to run starparse if they are a solo player is silly. And as long as BW doesn't provide tools to improve, I'm not sure what they can do but nerf stuff.
Dragonslayer Mitthendil the Revanchist - Mercenary ||
Mitth'raw'nurudo from Beyond - Powertech || Elenmil the Revanchist - Scoundrel
Click this to say thank you if my post was helpful! :
http://www.swtor.com/r/lGKMGB