Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Boss HP for new Flashpoint: TatC -- Let's Discuss...

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Boss HP for new Flashpoint: TatC -- Let's Discuss...
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Jdast
11.30.2017 , 04:08 PM | #1
Hopefully, this will be viewed as constructive feedback. And, hey, this is my second non-white knighting post in as many days (and ever lolz )...

With respect to the new Flashpoint, Traitor among the Chiss (TatC): This post starts from the assumption that the following two premises are true -- that boss encounters are a function of two primary variables:

1) Do you understand and are capable of responding to the mechanics; and

2) (If solo) are you properly geared, know your rotations, and have the correct traits chosen.

I have now run the FP 6 times including 4 DPS, 1 Tank, 1 Healer. Let's also stipulate that with the tank and healer spec, the boss fights will take longer, but your survivability is higher. I think most would agree that is an acceptable trade-off.

While I like the clear distinction of phases between the bosses, they take a LONG, LONG time to take down. The characters I ran through were all minimum Ilvl 242, including augments, though some admittedly were at 220, not 228.

But once you know the mechanics of the fight -- spending the next couple minutes in each phase doing the exact same thing, knowing you won't die because even Ensign Temple Healer Level 1 (or DPS depending on spec) could keep you alive, got old fast.

Proposed solution: Shave some of the HP off the bosses. While some may call me a noob crying out for a nerf -- it's really about not getting bored in some of the fights.

Regards,

Dasty

Otowi
11.30.2017 , 04:19 PM | #2
I did the solo version, and thought the bosses was HP sponges. The only exception seems to be the second boss, in that it feels more like a normal elite boss, with only slightly more HP.

The first droid guardian boss and the last boss are just boring to fight due the huge HP pool. It took me about ~20 minutes total to beat both of those HP sponge bosses.

They do need to tune the bosses a bit down HP wise to make it less boring.

Bishop_Arts
11.30.2017 , 04:37 PM | #3
The icecat boss is rediculous. Mind you, I believe he's optional, especially given the achievement you get for downing him, but still.

I'm a 247 ilvl assassin, and it still took a solid 10 minutes to kill him. At no time was I in danger, mind you, as it was solo mode for the story advancement, but it still seemed a bit tedious.
Decarabia -- Sorcerer
Varrio -- Assassin
Jax Molivari -- Mercenary
Vassago -- Juggernaut

Seireeni
11.30.2017 , 04:45 PM | #4
I don't mind the amount of hp bosses have, as I have found the fights to be great as class/discipline combinations I'm actually familiar with (and have a decent rotation), and too long with class/discipline combinations I'm unfamiliar with/have a very vague idea of rotation of. However, I believe the hp will get nerfed eventually since other solo content doesn't actually require you to have a good rotation.
There is a face beneath this mask but it's not me.
Darth Malgus - And some alts on Satele Shan and Star Forge - The Firslay Legacy
referral link http://www.swtor.com/r/J24zRp

Jdast
11.30.2017 , 07:09 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by Seireeni View Post
I don't mind the amount of hp bosses have, as I have found the fights to be great as class/discipline combinations I'm actually familiar with (and have a decent rotation), and too long with class/discipline combinations I'm unfamiliar with/have a very vague idea of rotation of. However, I believe the hp will get nerfed eventually since other solo content doesn't actually require you to have a good rotation.
I take your point, and to your credit, it encouraged me to pay a bit more attention during some of the fights with respect to what I prefer to call 'prioritization vs. rotation.' I emphasize that term because I've often found that the 'so-called optimal rotation' is much different in group vs. solo play and varies greatly depending on how much movement is involved and the class you are playing. But I digress and that's for a different thread.

In any case, I just ran it through again since I first posted on my Gunslinger. Went smoothly, but I have a laptop next to my desktop...I still was focused on my laptop a bit toward the end (no it wasn't **** you pervs) a couple times.

Hugs,

Dasty

ravedark
11.30.2017 , 07:21 PM | #6
I don't mind it. It should maintain a certain amount of difficulty and/or tedium to justify the value of the decoration and armor drops.

ImmortalLowlife
11.30.2017 , 07:31 PM | #7
I know how to play my classes, and the optimal rotations. But that solo version (the one with the real story, not the one for grinding) is a beast. The character I ran it with first (guardian jk with a lvl 1 temple) only has an avg gear rating of 219. I only died once, but I was able to use my heroic moment on that first droid 5 times! The others I hit it at least 3 times. Someone who doesn't fully know their class will get decimated. I agree it needs to be toned down a lil bit.
"There is no Light Side...There is no Dark Side...there is only The Force..."

And you already know...Click HERE for free stuff!!!

Sinhammer
11.30.2017 , 07:39 PM | #8
I ran it with the level 1 Temple (orange tier 4 crate gear Marauder, whatever gear level that is) and never had an issue on Solo mode, never died either. Are people running it in a different mode? I've seen people saying they're dying left and right etc.and expected a ton of bugs and got none also, but mind you I only ran it once. Only issues I saw were a few mobs that weren't target-able and almost NO mobs had loot out of the several billion I had to kill. The bosses do take a while to down, and the overall FP was boring as sin by the end because it all took so long. Didn't know there was an achieve for killing the icecat, now I have to do it again .
He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man.
----Darth Wolfhammer Hellstorm of Star Forge----

SolarSaenz
11.30.2017 , 07:50 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Jdast View Post
.....I have now run the FP 6 times including 4 DPS, 1 Tank, 1 Healer. Let's also stipulate that with the tank and healer spec, the boss fights will take longer, but your survivability is higher. I think most would agree that is an acceptable trade-off....
You ran it 6 TIMES???
Are you a glutton for punishment?
Okay, okay. All theatrics aside (I was just being silly with my previous two statements ), I am not exactly looking forward to running the new FP the way it is now.
I finally did the FP yesterday.
My honest, initial reaction was that the SWTOR team was trying too hard, especially that first boss. I didn't find solo mode necessarily hard at all with Temple healing you (I was a juggernaut dps with Temple in her healing stance). I did feel though that the boss fight was very time consuming. It seemed the adds just kept spawning and spawning with not enough time to focus on the actual boss.
I thought the environment, as in the way the FP visually appeared, was very well done. It made me think of Makeb meets sun set Rishi, and that's a good thing.
I really do think the SWTOR team was trying, really, really hard to deliver a good FP. I did think some of the boss mechanics had some interesting flavors. The first boss while I do have some suggestions for it, I feel they were on the right track; they just overshot what should have been their mark, if that makes sense . The second boss where you have to change levels; I thought that was an interesting concept. The third boss, I found the third boss not perfect but overall more or less acceptable.

Quote: Originally Posted by Jdast View Post
Proposed solution: Shave some of the HP off the bosses. While some may call me a noob crying out for a nerf -- it's really about not getting bored in some of the fights.

Regards,

Dasty
*Oh, my! This is a historic moment Dasty and I agree on something.
(Just kidding, don't take that too seriously ).
In all seriousness, yes. The first boss definitely, I feel, should have less HP, and if I may, have a longer wait in between adds spawning.
I appreciate the boss for what it's trying to do. It just needs some refinement. This is actual criticism, as in a critique. I don't feel the whole boss fight should be remade from the ground up.
I think the third boss could stand to have less HP and maybe a few other mechanics to "spice things up", but that's just me.

A good boss fight for me doesn't mean it takes a long time to kill. A good boss fight challenges me, as in I should not be able to just stand there idol and have my companion kill the boss without any risk of me dying, and keeps me on my toes but is not impossibly hard, at least for solo mode. I know it's hard in practice to balance out a good boss fight, but it can be done.

Mind you, my perspective was a solo player specced as melee dps. I don't know how things are different if done with a group or done HM with a group.

xRohanx
11.30.2017 , 08:06 PM | #10
I do not remember exactly how much time it took. But the flashpoint seemed to me very, very long. It would be beautiful and interesting flashpoint, but… not. Because of two problems:
1. a lot of mobs, which are simply boring;
2. and monotonous bosses, which have a lot of HP and noninterruptible actions (exepted Walker’s support).
My main character lighting sorc, geared in full 248 with 228 augments, solo mode was not difficult, but I'm tired of killing all these mobs and bosses, only to get a small story continuation.
I never asked for this ©