Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Healing in Tactical FPs and Health Pack Etiquette

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Flashpoints, Operations, and Heroic Missions
Healing in Tactical FPs and Health Pack Etiquette

xRohanx
11.26.2017 , 06:18 PM | #11
In most cases it's just a reflex. Appears in the following situations:
- lazy, weak or low lvl healer;
- healer geared in trash;
- healer decided that he/she is dps;
- 2 or 1 low lvl members take(s) agro, all the time on the verge of death;
- low lvl slow moving but fast dying tank.
All of this strengthens this habit, many many times. So try not to take offense at players, who automatically use kolto stations. Perhaps they were in hell before meeting you - an experienced, well-equipped player, of course, who knows mechanics and never forgets the role.
I never asked for this

Morteistno
11.27.2017 , 06:35 PM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by Aulus_Claudius View Post
I'm healing away, no one's even close to dying, the Sentinel who's tanking eats a scripted hit which I was already pre-casting to heal, and he hits the health pack on the ground and pulls the boss to the next one like I didn't even exist. This was earlier today, and similar situations to this have happened to me several times recently to the point where I'm really starting to wonder about the consideration shown for healers in tactical FPs.

On the one hand, it's perfectly reasonable and even quite good tank/aggro leader behavior for a healerless group. If the group is low and the healer can't keep up I also get it, but when you have a healer who's already bored to tears and the group grabs a health pack every time they drop more than 10% I find it quite rude. Perhaps it's not their intention behind it, but on some level there is no reason to touch the health pack unless you think you need it, ie you don't trust your healer.

My usual reaction is to mention it once, and if it happens again I quit healing and deal damage for the remainder of the FP or until the group asks me to start healing again and agrees to be more sparing with the health packs. Even laying all pride in my work aside, it's just no fun overhealing people who obviously don't want it when I could be contributing DPS. Am I being too harsh here? How do other healers react to this situation?
In an FP the group usually wants to get through as fast as possible - well in any content that is the case tbh. I play both healers and dps chars and in both cases I will make use of the heal stations when needed. As a healer I will often do it too, as I try to dps as much as possible, just to feel a bit less as a dead weight on the group.

And yes as a healer with a competent group tacticatls are not much fun, you are mostly a very, very poor dps. On the bright side it does give you the opportunity to practice dps'ing with a healer but that is it.

Now tacticals are not very challenging for any class if the group is at least somewhat skilled. (except for a few which are notably harder... the pair in and the extra boss in umbara, the one boss in depths of manaan and jos and valk come to mind). For the most part I would say that if you want to enjoy and feel needed as a healer run MM flashpoints or Operations / PVP.

Bottom line: don't take it personally. Most of the content in these FP's is quite old and people have done them many, many times so they want to get through them for the cxp as fast as possible.

rantboi
11.28.2017 , 12:03 AM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by Morteistno View Post
Bottom line: don't take it personally. Most of the content in these FP's is quite old and people have done them many, many times so they want to get through them for the cxp as fast as possible.
well they would be getting through a lot faster if they focused on dpsing instead of just running from one kolto station to another

Morteistno
11.28.2017 , 01:06 AM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by rantboi View Post
well they would be getting through a lot faster if they focused on dpsing instead of just running from one kolto station to another
Not true, add in that they give like a heal to full on almost all no matter whether they are stacked or not, ranged dps mostly doesn't even need to move to click them and the downtime if they are mistaken and the healer doesn't heal sufficiently and they die. The risk/reward is heavily in favor of using the stations with an unknown healer. Even with a good healer they can make sense.

For frustrated healers I would really recommend giving the mm flashpoints a try... no stations there.

Seireeni
11.28.2017 , 03:46 AM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by Morteistno View Post
For frustrated healers I would really recommend giving the mm flashpoints a try... no stations there.
Tbh I'm too scared to try those. Due to how happy people are to click the stations, I have no idea how good my healing is. When someone clicks a kolto station, I don't know if I would have been able to save them myself, and my ops success seems to vary from group to group. Sometimes no one drops below 70%, sometimes dps are dropping like flies while I'm spamhealing the tank.
There is a face beneath this mask but it's not me.
Darth Malgus - And some alts on Satele Shan and Star Forge - The Firslay Legacy
referral link http://www.swtor.com/r/J24zRp

aerockyul
11.28.2017 , 02:12 PM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by Seireeni View Post
Tbh I'm too scared to try those. Due to how happy people are to click the stations, I have no idea how good my healing is. When someone clicks a kolto station, I don't know if I would have been able to save them myself, and my ops success seems to vary from group to group. Sometimes no one drops below 70%, sometimes dps are dropping like flies while I'm spamhealing the tank.
I understand the feeling. I alternately have no idea how good of a dps I might be because I almost always end up in groups with no healers, no tanks, and I'm the only one watching the kolto stations. I also end up "tanking" more often than not ("tanking" even on non-faketank classes. Extremely squishy). I have also had a lot of ops runs lately where healers have never heard of a cleanse and/or I end up doing a lot of offhealing because the healers can't keep up.

I spend very little time dpsing on my dps toons lately. I main a healer so I have the instinct to help and not expect help from others, but I'm not above helping the group out even if I can't play the way I'd like on other toons.
Keeya, Lill'ya, Odessis, Vaisis, Mura Saki, HitessaJaista, Altheeka, Ayasi, Dunheiress
Kahntara, Kaytee'roxx Eko'va, Namie Amuro, Misphire Portrait Gallery
Satele Shan ReferralsProud Ashara...ite? Asharan? Team Ashara!

Kokomah
12.01.2017 , 01:26 AM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by Seireeni View Post
Tbh I'm too scared to try those. Due to how happy people are to click the stations, I have no idea how good my healing is. When someone clicks a kolto station, I don't know if I would have been able to save them myself...
So you want a failsafe for your role, but if other players are using failsafe tactics you get angry?

A hint for you - if you are sometimes losing players in Vet FP, you most likely won't be able to heal PUG Master FP.
Successful Jedi hunting requires patience. Luck is not required.

Seireeni
12.01.2017 , 07:48 AM | #18
Quote: Originally Posted by Kokomah View Post
So you want a failsafe for your role, but if other players are using failsafe tactics you get angry?
I don't want a failsafe for my role. I hate the kolto stations as healer, and I dislike veteran FPs. What I want is to get the old story modes back (or something like that) so I can make sure I can easily heal those without someone clicking some failsafe mechanic as soon as someone takes damage due to standing in stupid before I move to master mode. However, that is not going to happen, so I'll settle to just healing SM ops and whining on the forums.
There is a face beneath this mask but it's not me.
Darth Malgus - And some alts on Satele Shan and Star Forge - The Firslay Legacy
referral link http://www.swtor.com/r/J24zRp

Storm-Cutter
12.01.2017 , 08:15 AM | #19
It would 've been more sensible to make the heal stations give a buff to compliment the team makeup - Extra heals when you have none, some extra DPS for low-level for fewer than 2 DPS or a damage mitigate and taunt buff for non-tank makeups.

They manage varying buffs in the Star Fortress, I don't see why this wasn't applied in the FPs.

On the flip-side, none of the Tactical FPs really needed any heals or buffs. -Unless you were very low-level or completely noobish. It just encouraged lazy playing and dependency on a get-out-of-jail free card.

Now there are so many of us on new merged servers, Tac FPs should be allowed to die, and real MMO-ing can take place- okay every now and again you get a bad group, but TBH I've never encountered one in all the time I've been Pugging away from my guild, so the occurrence must be pretty rare....
-Storm Cutter.
Like my comment? Refer me and also give a homeless Bantha a new start in life. Just click here.
Cool lightsabre art: ****.**================

Renata_Roselli
12.01.2017 , 08:46 AM | #20
I don't heal in tactical FPs either like the other guy said. There's kolto stations. The FPs are built for any mix of classes including all DPS so no need to heal.