Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Healing in Tactical FPs and Health Pack Etiquette

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Flashpoints, Operations, and Heroic Missions
Healing in Tactical FPs and Health Pack Etiquette

Aulus_Claudius
11.24.2017 , 04:09 PM | #1
I'm healing away, no one's even close to dying, the Sentinel who's tanking eats a scripted hit which I was already pre-casting to heal, and he hits the health pack on the ground and pulls the boss to the next one like I didn't even exist. This was earlier today, and similar situations to this have happened to me several times recently to the point where I'm really starting to wonder about the consideration shown for healers in tactical FPs.

On the one hand, it's perfectly reasonable and even quite good tank/aggro leader behavior for a healerless group. If the group is low and the healer can't keep up I also get it, but when you have a healer who's already bored to tears and the group grabs a health pack every time they drop more than 10% I find it quite rude. Perhaps it's not their intention behind it, but on some level there is no reason to touch the health pack unless you think you need it, ie you don't trust your healer.

My usual reaction is to mention it once, and if it happens again I quit healing and deal damage for the remainder of the FP or until the group asks me to start healing again and agrees to be more sparing with the health packs. Even laying all pride in my work aside, it's just no fun overhealing people who obviously don't want it when I could be contributing DPS. Am I being too harsh here? How do other healers react to this situation?
Thanks for the gearing changes in 5.1 and 5.2, BioWare - resubbed.

Iymurra
11.24.2017 , 04:39 PM | #2
I no longer heal in Tactical FPs. I either queue as dps or immediately respec upon entering.
Should the group be a mass of low levels having difficulty managing their health then I may respec but I haven't run into that problem since early 4.0.

I too wish that roles actually felt needed in Tactical FPs. I hate facetanking when I'm running concealment, or getting pushback in IO. And by and large, no Tactical FP boss has enough health for me to get much farther than my opener before either invulnerable mechanics interrupt or the boss is dead.

I've more or less stopped queueing for Tactical FPs and only do 5 of them when double CXP is around.
an honest preference of mine would be to have group finder match 3 people (unless premade, then nothing changes) and whoever would not be present, tank, heal, dps would get a replacement 'god droid' for the last slot to supplement the party.

Invalidation of roles is bad, it bleeds into operations that *really* should have 2 tanks but are now tanked with one overstressed tank who didn't know what he was getting in to and one fauxtank scrub badmouthing everyone. (I exaggerate, granted. But that has been the majority of my more recent experiences)

TLDR: I hate vet fps, want the old trinity comps to come back and better incentives for Tanks/Heals to queue.
Pretty Much Everything, but Mostly
(Operative) (Commando)
Solidarity on Hot Prospect

rantboi
11.24.2017 , 04:56 PM | #3
yeah, leveling as a healer used to be fun in the old sm flashpoints but now it's pointless. everyone just runs for the koltos as soon as they lose more than 2% of their hp. And now healers don't get to practise while leveling so there's tons of really bad healers everywhere. tactical fp are ****.

Haooll
11.24.2017 , 04:56 PM | #4
I feel your pain ... I invariably play as sage/sorc healer in all things but in vet fp's often wonder why ... the only time i feel useful is during trash mobs on the way to bosses with squishy dps's in the group, or occasionally in a low level group doing the sand storm boss in Czerka Core meltdown.

I've started running my imp healer as a lightning sorc just for ***** and giggles and get more "good heals" comments as that spec than when running as a heal spec ... go figure ...

when I run my tanks and get a "healer" I'll let them heal if they do ... if I'm not getting any heals from them I'll use kolto stations as needed and maybe say something if i can be bothered to. But generally if I have a healer in a group I'll let them do the heals and concentrate on dps/aggro holding.

What/why others do what they do is either not trusting or pig ignorance ... the first can be excused IF the healer isn't healing, the second can be cured ... lead injections work I'm told

aerockyul
11.24.2017 , 05:46 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by Haooll View Post
I feel your pain ... I invariably play as sage/sorc healer in all things but in vet fp's often wonder why ... the only time i feel useful is during trash mobs on the way to bosses with squishy dps's in the group, or occasionally in a low level group doing the sand storm boss in Czerka Core meltdown.

I've started running my imp healer as a lightning sorc just for ***** and giggles and get more "good heals" comments as that spec than when running as a heal spec ... go figure ...

when I run my tanks and get a "healer" I'll let them heal if they do ... if I'm not getting any heals from them I'll use kolto stations as needed and maybe say something if i can be bothered to. But generally if I have a healer in a group I'll let them do the heals and concentrate on dps/aggro holding.

What/why others do what they do is either not trusting or pig ignorance ... the first can be excused IF the healer isn't healing, the second can be cured ... lead injections work I'm told
That's funny, I got a similar comment running my concealment op and that was with another healer in the group (the others thanked me by name). Well, I felt bad because I main a healer and I wasn't trying to show them up, it was just...necessary (all I'll say about that)...so my instincts took over and that was that. It actually surprised me how much healing I could do while dpsing. But it was still annoying. If I wanted to heal at that time I would have been running my healer.
Keeya, Lill'ya, Cara, Odessis, Vaisis, Mura Saki, HitessaJaista, Katie Bee, Altheeka, Ayasi, Dunheiress
Kahntara, Aywrevix, Kaytee'roxx Eko'va, Misphire, Andra Cressan Portrait Gallery
Satele Shan ReferralsProud Ashara...ite? Asharan? Team Ashara!

Schoock
11.24.2017 , 06:58 PM | #6
I, too, am annoyed by derpies pressing healing stations when I'm around healing.

Oh well, they took over my job, I take over theirs and start derping.
Faction imbalance is the scientific term for saying player skills mature at a later age than that of the intended audience of a certain faction.

Ne'laa & other Mentally Challenged from The Red Eclipse - Gone for good

FlameYOL
11.26.2017 , 10:10 AM | #7
Honestly I already feel useless as a Tank in Tacticals so I can only imagine how Healers must feel. While I haven't played in a few months back when I was still queueing for Group Finder almost every group's DPS would jump before I did, I know it's a tactical but since you have a Tank let me do my job. Honestly I agree with lymurra on the invalidation of roles, Tactical was originally just KDY which is pretty easy to do with a 4 DPS group and doesn't require a full group. But some FPs like Red Reaper are an add nightmare if your DPS are low level and you have no healers.
A man can have anything...If he's willing to sacrifice everything

AlrikFassbauer
11.26.2017 , 11:08 AM | #8
It's funny thinking that this "burn through everyzthing by DPS" mentality was probably develoiped by PvP peoiple ( I hold this theory ), but in the other hand there are numerous PvP players whining that PvP hass become so much boring with a tank + healer combo involved ... Because seemingly unkillable ... And that Ranked PvP is not possible without that combo in their eyes ...
Complex minds
will create
Complex problems.

Seireeni
11.26.2017 , 12:46 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by AlrikFassbauer View Post
It's funny thinking that this "burn through everyzthing by DPS" mentality was probably develoiped by PvP peoiple ( I hold this theory ), but in the other hand there are numerous PvP players whining that PvP hass become so much boring with a tank + healer combo involved ... Because seemingly unkillable ... And that Ranked PvP is not possible without that combo in their eyes ...
"Burn through everything by dps" is a terrible pvp tactic and, if it was developed by pvp players, it was not developed by ones that are good at it.
I'd say it's more likely developed by people just soloing stuff, since almost everything apart from the harder modes of chapters and Eternal Championship can be done by that.
There is a face beneath this mask but it's not me.
Darth Malgus - And some alts on Satele Shan and Star Forge - The Firslay Legacy
referral link http://www.swtor.com/r/J24zRp

KendraP
11.26.2017 , 01:14 PM | #10
At least there are some mobs that a healer still comes in handy on if a group doesn't cooperate with CC / LOS tactics (See hammer station, pull with the 2 big droids in the beginning). I play mostly tanks, want to feel useless run tacticals as a tank with no healer.