Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

What happens to this game if EA loses the SW franchise

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > STAR WARS Discussion
What happens to this game if EA loses the SW franchise

AndrewAlberts's Avatar


AndrewAlberts
11.24.2017 , 12:27 PM | #1
I've recently seen a YouTube video on how (please correct me if I'm wrong) the Belgian and Hawaiian governments have classified Battlefront 2's lootbox system as gambling, how the Great Mighty Mouse is beyond fuming with rage at EA's handling of the licence, and how, through feeding addictive tendencies in children and/or pre to early teens, which are the target audience for Star Wars, EA could potentially lose the exclusive rights to develop and/or produce Star Wars games. My question is, what will happen to this game if, and this is a very big if I'm talking about, if EA does indeed lose the SW licence. I've linked the video in question down below if anyone is interested. I'm not only asking fellow forum users, I'm also asking Eric, Keith and/or whoever is on the SWTOR Dev Team this question as well.


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTSGf5gMsJA

Nieme's Avatar


Nieme
11.25.2017 , 02:26 PM | #2
Nothing, EA didn't have the license prior to this game being released and we are still able to play it. This was a Bioware/Lucas Arts deal
"You are no more powerful than you make yourself. If you see yourself as having weakness, you are simply increasing the problem. It's a self fulfilling prophecy."
-Lord Mal'kith
Click For Free Goodies http://www.swtor.com/r/sCckGj

that_Spartan_IV's Avatar


that_Spartan_IV
11.26.2017 , 07:13 PM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by Nieme View Post
Nothing, EA didn't have the license prior to this game being released and we are still able to play it. This was a Bioware/Lucas Arts deal
Excellent. While I hate this game's main story, I love the game itself.
"Two there should be, no more, no less."

Toraak's Avatar


Toraak
11.26.2017 , 09:43 PM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by Nieme View Post
Nothing, EA didn't have the license prior to this game being released and we are still able to play it. This was a Bioware/Lucas Arts deal
EA did have the license before this game launched, so at this time we don't know what would happen. Before Launch they had the EA/BW symbol for this game.

Edit: also keep in mind the company that made it BW is owned by EA, so if they lose the license, it may be shut down. But in truth we don't know.
Referral Link: www.swtor.com/r/Q4Tp3P

eoral's Avatar


eoral
11.29.2017 , 04:07 PM | #5
Well I see this as Governments, corporations etc getting on their moral high horse. Making sure their public image is just right when it hit media storm.

The problem with loot boxes/ pay to win was going on for a while in many games by many different companies and where were any consumer watchdog or Governments looking out for gamers.
Gamers had to deal with that on their own for years.
So if things where shut down just for this reason, for some people just wanting to clap themselves on the back I think there will be a lot of upset players not to mention how anti consumer and predatory that action would be.

What about gamers here who would be pretty pissed at losing their items gotten from cartel because EA lost the franchise.Hypocritical of Disney to pull the plug then. It would be too much a heavy handed thing to do.

Nieme's Avatar


Nieme
12.02.2017 , 07:29 AM | #6
EA has not done a single good thing with the Star Wars license, this game not included, and they should have their license revoked. My biggest peave they pulled is the "you get to play an imperial campaign in the new BF2 and then when the game came out they were like...Oh yea you turn traitor." Screw EA and give the license to a developer that will do some good with it
"You are no more powerful than you make yourself. If you see yourself as having weakness, you are simply increasing the problem. It's a self fulfilling prophecy."
-Lord Mal'kith
Click For Free Goodies http://www.swtor.com/r/sCckGj

Paulsutherland's Avatar


Paulsutherland
12.02.2017 , 07:51 AM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Nieme View Post
EA has not done a single good thing with the Star Wars license, this game not included, and they should have their license revoked. My biggest peave they pulled is the "you get to play an imperial campaign in the new BF2 and then when the game came out they were like...Oh yea you turn traitor." Screw EA and give the license to a developer that will do some good with it
^^^

We should have been playing as the other guy (can't remember his name - the one stays loyal to the Empire) Hask? His story would have been a lot better than w/e her name's was.

Lucas_Storm's Avatar


Lucas_Storm
12.14.2017 , 09:14 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by Toraak View Post
EA did have the license before this game launched, so at this time we don't know what would happen. Before Launch they had the EA/BW symbol for this game.

Edit: also keep in mind the company that made it BW is owned by EA, so if they lose the license, it may be shut down. But in truth we don't know.
I think the person meant the EA/Star Wars exclusive deal wasn't done before the game was made.