Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Class choice help

Cuiwe's Avatar


Cuiwe
11.18.2017 , 11:26 AM | #1
I'm stuck choosing a class for my BH and my IA. I'll outline what I think about the classes themselves:

Mercenary: A rather effective way to play. Comfortable too and can even get fun. It fits what I'm going for with my BH much better(hi tech space cowboy basically). Now about Disciplines:

Bodyguard: Don't care about this one at all, but I guess it'd fit with the theme
Arsenal: Aesthetically don't care about it at all, it's very relaxing and fun to play though.
Innovative Ordnance: Given how you have a combustible ammo(Incendiary Missile{let's call it Shot}, hollow point ammo(Serrated Shot), Magnetized Ammo(Mag Shot), AP ammo(Power Shot) + other nice tools(grenades / darts ; I don't have to use funky missile anymore in 5,6)...yeah, this is the epitome of what my character ought to be. Arsenal's more fun, I'll admit, but this isn't anything to throw away either.

Powertech: One of my favorite classes in SWTOR, but it sadly underwent a rather ugly series of mistreatment by Bioware. That's putting it lightly. Still is very fun and all those Flamethrowers! Oh gee!

-> Shieldtech: While its skill progression is S.H.I.T.(really? Firestorm on 60, Oil Slick on 10 etc?), it can be VERY FUN and truly AWESOME to play as. Flame Engine makes you have a kick of two horses(four with Firestorm), you get Flame Surge which gives you two free Flame Bursts / Sweeps( ) etc. It's really a spectacle to play this. The very fact your first comp is supposed to be a Healer(even looks like the role) only reinforces this. Yeah, it is slanted towards high levels, but I don't care. Master's Datacron, see.
-> Advanced Prototype: This could also fit my character what with innovative approach and what not. Otherwise, I don't really care about AP either way.
-> Pyrotech: My favorite PT Discipline in theory. In theory it could put even Shieldtech to shame with its Flamethrower aptitude. But it's really that fun to play(currently, due to overpresence of auto attack spam ; I want to spam FLAME BURST NOT RAPID SHOT damn it!) and it fits better to me than to my character.

Overall: Mercenary fits my character better, Powertech fits me better. I don't see my character as a Flamethrower nut nevermind the blazing glory of it.

SNIPER: What a relaxing, yet effective class. I LOVE its Republic counterpart, but that's just it: I already have a Sniper so to speak. This fits both me and my character better, but nevermind, let's forge onwards:

-> Marksmanship: Yeah, that's how a Sniper should feel. Good work, 9,8 / 10 (remove the ****** Dart from it!)
-> Engineer: This would be the best fit Discipline for both me and my character. I love using Probes and Hi-Tech apparel and my character's supposed to use cutting edge Imperial Tech to defeat enemies. Like a match made in heavens. BUT! As I already said, I already have a Slinger and guess which Discipline fits him the best? Dirty Fighting...I haven't thought this through, have I? Oh snap!
-> Virulence: Now, this is how a Sniper SHOULD NOT feel. Too much full auto action. *** is this? I mean, it is a good Discipline, but it's not a good SNIPER Discipline! Meh who cares?

OPERATIVE: What would I give for a 10m ranged discipline here. I love how mobile this class feels and how unburdened by various Sniper nonsense you are. BUT! A Butcher class? Really? I don't like the look or implication of Shiv. Hence, I don't really like Concealment, but...

Medicine: Yeah, this could also fit my character, but I don't care about a Healer Discipline that much.
Concealment: I could play this one if it allowed you to use a Vibrosword or something. A dueling Discipline if you will. Then it'd fit both my character and me to a large degree. Currently, it could as well be called "Butcher". It is fun to play as, but...?
Lethality: It wouldn't hurt if more stress was put on O.Shot here and less on Shiv, but meh. This Discipline outlines what an Agent should be: very versatile with a million and one trick up his sleeve. It's also more fun to play than Virulence while remaining just as(if not more) effective. This is similar to PT, this Discipline fits me better than my char. I don't see him as Agent Thrax(more of Krennic tbh, but immensely patriotic, almost Cardassian like)

Overall: Apart from Lethality, I don't really care about Operative. And it feels good to play, but Sniper underwent a LOT of QoL fixes, so that's pretty much void.

So, the choices are, basically:

Inn.Ord(Character driven)
vs
Shield Tech + Pyro Tech(Personal favorites)

Also

Lethality(Personal favorite)
vs
Engineer + Marksman(Character Driven)

What do you say?
"I am not in this for politics, nor the wanton destruction, hell not even for credits. I have chosen this way of life because of the hunt and because it was pushed onto me on some ugly slimeball called a "pearl" and Honour bound me to this path ever onwards" Caelestinus

Cuiwe's Avatar


Cuiwe
11.18.2017 , 03:52 PM | #2
Ok, let me make it easy for you.

Focus on BH side. That one's really flaming and a half!
"I am not in this for politics, nor the wanton destruction, hell not even for credits. I have chosen this way of life because of the hunt and because it was pushed onto me on some ugly slimeball called a "pearl" and Honour bound me to this path ever onwards" Caelestinus

blakerocks's Avatar


blakerocks
11.25.2017 , 06:55 PM | #3
Unless you currently have a guild obligation to be higher level and raid ready, I recommend trying all of them until one really clicks. It has been a long time since I've played any of those specs besides Shield Specialist Vanguard (shield tech Powertech) though so I can't offer much else besides telling you that Vanguard/PT tanks seem (in my limited experience on VG tanking) to have the worst sustained single target threat middle of the road AoE threat, and high burst AoE threat.

If you were to pick a tank, VG/PT unfortunately seems to be the worst pick for the job atm. That said, they are fun and I enjoy it when I can manage to keep threat on the class.
___Guardian Tank ___ Shadow Tank ___ Terrible Vanguard Tank ___

SteveTheCynic's Avatar


SteveTheCynic
11.26.2017 , 05:38 AM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by blakerocks View Post
If you were to pick a tank, VG/PT unfortunately seems to be the worst pick for the job atm.
I can confirm this, but from the other side. My "247" rated Gunnery Commando ( == Arsenal Merc) regularly pulls aggro from my guild's 248-rated VG tank. (But she has long been notorious in the guild for pulling aggro from the tanks, which might say more about his tanking technique(1) than it does about the relative strength of the different tank classes.)

And of course I was even able to pull aggro from the same tank with my other Gunnery Commando who is around 238 with fewer augments.

(1) And my DPS technique. I'm not rejecting criticism there either.
http://www.swtor.com/r/Hg3sV2
To go to Belsavis, you must go to Belsavis.
> @"Biff.5312" said:
> Exercise your whimsy.

doohickeyexpress's Avatar


doohickeyexpress
11.26.2017 , 11:53 AM | #5
1 word: Mercenary.

Effective, fun, versatile.

Don't even bother with Powertech in its current state, it's nerfed into the ground, I've been trying to level mine and at level 63 in pvp I get killed within seconds.
FREE week of subscription!
Rewards for you and me. Activate my referral link today for UNLIMITED POWER!
http://www.swtor.com/r/mf38Jz

Cuiwe's Avatar


Cuiwe
11.29.2017 , 11:06 AM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by doohickeyexpress View Post
1 word: Mercenary.

Effective, fun, versatile.

Don't even bother with Powertech in its current state, it's nerfed into the ground, I've been trying to level mine and at level 63 in pvp I get killed within seconds.
Yeah, I've chosen a Merc. And it came to me: Those starting Guns look AWESOME! Really, why don't they have an Orange version? >.<

Merc and Sniper have been chosen. I'll wait until 5,61 to see whether they fix fugly eyes. That's my #1 problem currently: they R.U.I.N.E.D. my Zabrak!

I mean I like counterpart classes just fine. Power Tech is just a blast to play, but outside of using Master Datacron to get to 60+ and just Jet Charge -> B.U.R.N. ... it isn't that interesting tbh. Pyro Tech must be one of greatest misses of modern SWTOR...how do you make a P.Y.R.O.M.A.N.I.A.C. playstyle boring and annoying to play? HOW???

Operative is awesome fun in Concealment, but that wouldn't hold for long. It's too samey-samey. Besides I love the Sniper as it is. Voltaic Sleuth + IS Regulator Dorn... <3 <3 <3

Besides, I tried both the Merc and the PT for like 3-4 days of dummy testing and...Merc was more fun! Just look at the IO Gun-Fu! THAT'S WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT! <3

So, there's that:

MERCENARY WINS!
SNIPER WINS!
( only a blind man didn't see Sniper winning. I was / am so hard on it... )
"I am not in this for politics, nor the wanton destruction, hell not even for credits. I have chosen this way of life because of the hunt and because it was pushed onto me on some ugly slimeball called a "pearl" and Honour bound me to this path ever onwards" Caelestinus

KendraP's Avatar


KendraP
11.29.2017 , 03:27 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by SteveTheCynic View Post
I can confirm this, but from the other side. My "247" rated Gunnery Commando ( == Arsenal Merc) regularly pulls aggro from my guild's 248-rated VG tank. (But she has long been notorious in the guild for pulling aggro from the tanks, which might say more about his tanking technique(1) than it does about the relative strength of the different tank classes.)

And of course I was even able to pull aggro from the same tank with my other Gunnery Commando who is around 238 with fewer augments.

(1) And my DPS technique. I'm not rejecting criticism there either.
As a tank main, who mains guardians but plays all the tank classes to some competency, the VG is the worst right now because of sheer squishiness, not aggro holding ability.

Fundamentally, the issue is PT was designed to be the highest passive (and thereby least active) defensive class. With newer content they have made damage profiles incredibly spikey which does not work in the VGs favor. It is still my second favorite tanking class, if for no other reason than having to watch the buff bar is something I find rather annoying.