Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Groups Entering GSF Since Merger

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Galactic Starfighter
Groups Entering GSF Since Merger

TheBeerDude
11.16.2017 , 10:37 PM | #1
It seems the merger has been good and bad for GSF. On one hand, the queue times are greatly reduced and the variety of pilots is greatly increased. But on the other hand, there has been an emergence of groups that are entering together with communications (voice) that are dominating the battle. It is getting so bad that non-grouped pilots are getting sniped at the spawn point, which is no fun.

So here is my solution:
1) No groups can enter together just like unranked PVP
2) Because the pool of pilots seems to be small, always combine factions like the Odessan PVP arena so grouping becomes more difficult. This will also keep the battles to be more even and potentially decrease pop times.

Thank you for your time

Verain
11.16.2017 , 11:02 PM | #2
It's a team game, find a team.

(2) is a great idea though.
"The most despicable person on the GSF forum."

ALaggyGrunt
11.17.2017 , 04:50 AM | #3
The groups that kill everyone aren't strong because voice, they're strong because they've played this game a lot together.

I won't say good, because people have learned not to queue while they're flying. It's usually not very much fun and involves being farmed on the spawn because everyone dies that fast.

Edit because incomplete: And throwing together a group good enough to fight the first one thins out the newbies on the other side, because flying against the premade that was assembled to go against the first premade isn't very much fun either.
There is no reason you should have to ask anybody else's
computer if it's OK to play alone, or the person sitting next
to you. That other computer won't always be there.

MaximilianPower
11.17.2017 , 06:21 AM | #4
I haven't been able to play much since the mergers, but I've heard this has become a frequent occurrence.

One other suggestion: join and utilize the GSF Discord to find a group. There are a lot of GSFers in there, many more than here (because the population includes non-subs too). Each server has its own channel, so it's pretty easy to drop a "lfg" and quickly find some teammates. You still may not come on top versus a really strong premade, but at least you'll improve your chances.

Zuckerkorn Zuckernaut Spiderzuck Tensorcide Zuck-srw'i
Maximilian Power TøbiasFünke Tryhard Neckbeard MaxPower-srw
Star Forge / Satele Shan / Darth Malgus

Self-Inflicted / Shadowlands Reconnaisance Wing / Retrocide / Imperial Entanglements

Greezt
11.17.2017 , 07:25 AM | #5
OP, if I understand correctly your issue is two groups syncing queues? How often do you run into two groups against you?

Dimitir
11.17.2017 , 08:01 AM | #6
yeah... i hear you... i come from a hinterland-server (vanjervalis chain / german) where no GSF would open since we were an RP Server... since the merge i joined GSF ( and i m having a blast, even when being ganked at the spawnpoint) and have noticed exactly that.... it s always the same group of elite aces farming everyone else... this has led to a rapid decline of new pilots imperial-side, because the frustration factor is extremely high in players (i somehow managed to stay at it and start getting better now, but far from good)...

Maybe an i-level for ship-queues would be nice, like a maxed out T5 ship cant or won t be queued with say a T1 or 2, so pilots with a lower skill/ship-level will always be able to compete with similarly strong opponents instead of demi-gods in T5 Jurgorans who gank the skies

Danalon
11.17.2017 , 08:44 AM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Dimitir View Post
yeah... i hear you... i come from a hinterland-server (vanjervalis chain / german) where no GSF would open since we were an RP Server... since the merge i joined GSF ( and i m having a blast, even when being ganked at the spawnpoint) and have noticed exactly that.... it s always the same group of elite aces farming everyone else... this has led to a rapid decline of new pilots imperial-side, because the frustration factor is extremely high in players (i somehow managed to stay at it and start getting better now, but far from good)...

Maybe an i-level for ship-queues would be nice, like a maxed out T5 ship cant or won t be queued with say a T1 or 2, so pilots with a lower skill/ship-level will always be able to compete with similarly strong opponents instead of demi-gods in T5 Jurgorans who gank the skies
There is a system which places players of roughly the same gear in the same matches. However, the system is extremely flawed.

Here's a rough description of how it works.
1. It is per character, not account.
2. It considers the one ship with the highest "combined level of components" (for a lack of a better term).
3. It also considers the number of matches played total (or number of victories total, not sure).
4. It always puts groups in front of the queue - disregarding everything of the above.

This means that some players who played/won a lot more matches than everyone else will usually have a longer queue time because the system can't find a match. These people get skipped and then group up to actually get an invite. Usually likeminded players group up moreoften, and if theres 2+ people who really like GSF, there's a good chance they will almost always fly together.

This directly ties into the next problem. These very active players who also need to group up to get invites usually have a lot more experience than the average player. They usually play on "a whole nother level" and while it seems like they're winning because of voice chat, they usually are just better.

Obviously this doesn't cover every situation, but during the time I was most active in GSF, I always grouped up with others, we met in voice chat, but only used it for entertainment and nothing game related.

caederon
11.17.2017 , 10:15 AM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by Dimitir View Post
Veterans in stock ships will mop the floor with people who don't know what they are doing. A single veteran in a partially upgraded ship is more than many teams can handle flying against.

People with low skill levels cannot compete against veterans because the veterans know what they're doing.

"Players" who make no effort to learn the game and/or who cannot execute basic game tasks are what lead to the uncompetitive blowouts that fill up scoreboards at an alarming rate. When the majority of a team cannot do at least 10k damage in a match, that team is extremely likely to lose.

New pilots need to work on basic skills like:
  • firing blasters when in range
  • locking a missile
  • learning which satellite to support
  • not flying in a straight line while being shot to death
  • picking the key upgrades to get first
  • choosing an appropriate Copilot skill
_
There's more but that is a start. Learning is half the battle. The other half is doing, and it will require some pain as the new pilot grows in skill and determination to fight through it, but it's very possible.

I think any pilot that sets their mind to it can become a contributor that helps their team within a week of starting GSF.

They just have to commit to doing it.

- Despon

DarthTyranid
11.19.2017 , 10:36 AM | #9
Would love for GSF to get a ranked pvp similar to ground pvp. Particularly if it has a solo only que.

Mephesh
11.19.2017 , 03:23 PM | #10
On my server, it's always stacked Rep groups/guilds in Teamspeak versus random lone-wolf Imps.
Reps win 99% of all games.
And most guilds don't want to do GSF on Impside.
Sad story.