Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Too many People -> Instance-Change

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Too many People -> Instance-Change

GalacticKegger's Avatar


GalacticKegger
11.15.2017 , 01:29 PM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by DWho View Post
That is a really dumb argument. "It is an MMO" has nothing to do with forced grouping or requiring players trip over each other during their normal activities. MMO means there are a lot of people online at the same time not that they are all in one instance. It allows for group play but does not force it.
Dumb is paying to live in a city then complaining about there being a population. And I'm not sure where the forced grouping concept came from because the only content in this game that even suggests forced grouping is when someone intentionally queues for group content in Group Finder. Honestly, if a "just leave me alone" player is expecting a MMO to be devoid of players so they can just be left alone then MMOs are probably not in their best gaming interests.
Can we please just have our pre-KotFE SWTOR MMORPG back?

marcofanggg's Avatar


marcofanggg
11.15.2017 , 01:31 PM | #22
Yup on BC quests like Possessed Hunter, those Rakghouls on Taris, the CZ Heroic, or that bonus heroic on Coruscant (where they changed the timer from 5 minutes to 4 lol) they were doable and often if you asked people to join a group so you both could do it they would agree. Now on Satele Shan almost no-one groups and the people that you asked to group that ignored you and wouldn't respond to your whispers, after they get the objective they taunt you, "Ha ha suffer noob" while you wait for another 5 minutes to rinse and repeat the same unpleasant experience.

The server merger was good and needed. This is a downside, but one that is easily fixed. Just keep open a minimum of say three phases per world. Heck call one the RP phase and that would be even better.

marcofanggg's Avatar


marcofanggg
11.15.2017 , 01:34 PM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by GalacticKegger View Post
Dumb is paying to live in a city then complaining about there being too many people in it. And I'm not sure where the forced grouping concept came from because the only content in this game that even suggests forced grouping is when someone intentionally queues for group content in Group Finder. Honestly, if a "just leave me alone" player is expecting a MMO to be devoid of players so they can just be left alone then MMOs are probably not in their best gaming interests.
That is not the problem, the problem is that in SWTOR the person that gets the first hit on a mob owns the kill. In ESO for example everyone that does at least 3% damage to a mob also gets credit for the kill so you can't "steal" kills from people and in fact more people at a World Boss or Heroic area is actually good. I don't want to be left alone, I want to be able to finish my missions.

GalacticKegger's Avatar


GalacticKegger
11.15.2017 , 01:38 PM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by marcofanggg View Post
That is not the problem, the problem is that in SWTOR the person that gets the first hit on a mob owns the kill. In ESO for example everyone that does at least 3% damage to a mob also gets credit for the kill so you can't "steal" kills from people and in fact more people at a World Boss or Heroic area is actually good. I don't want to be left alone, I want to be able to finish my missions.
Got it. That definitely is (and always has been) a problem with this game.
Can we please just have our pre-KotFE SWTOR MMORPG back?

Sangetorix's Avatar


Sangetorix
11.15.2017 , 01:40 PM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by DWho View Post
Except that the situations being referred to are the ones where the "targets" are scattered over a wide distance and players are running around vast regions trying to find the one remaining target while dozens of others are doing the same. Because they are so spread out, asking for groups doesn't happen because all you see is no "targets" available. The other issue is that in order for grouping for these to be effective, everyone needs to be at the same point. If someone has only 1 target left and another is just starting they are not going to group. It's all fine and good to say people should group but it doesn't happen and that makes the game less enjoyable to play.
I don't understand what you mean by no 'targets' available. Can you elaborate on that please?

And per your second point, you don't have to be all at the same point. I have grouped up myself with people who were just starting story missions, and I simply took ahold of my patience and sportsmanship and did it all over again with them. Most times, it turns out I'm a more experienced player, and they have asked me questions along the way about the game while I'm helping them. Can I ask, have you been playing the game a long time? A new player may benefit from this sort of short-term tutelage. Maybe try whispering them while they're moving along and specifically say something like, 'Hey if we group up together we can help each other out,' that way they know what your intentions are when you invite them. There are a lot of other ways you could put it too.

Grouping in this manner /does/ happen. I have experienced it firsthand from both perspectives.

Quote: Originally Posted by casirabit View Post
Oh you mean the ones you invite that decline. Yea that really works doesn't it. I have always been the type to send out an invite for someone in the area, especially on DK, Cor and Taris, to join my group and when we were on Ebon Hawk it worked but now hahahahahahahahahaha they decline.
If I had to guess, your experience sounds similar to the guy I quoted above. Try whispering these people, and simply ask, 'do you mind if I group with you? that way we can help each other do the mission(s).' I appreciate it when people let me know what their intentions are.

I have to agree with Galactic Keeper and Talon_Strikes on this one. This is a multiplayer game. What really would be the point of having all these things instanced if it's a multiplayer game? The very fact that they're not leads one to believe that it is. If someone doesn't like it, they can play KOTOR or KOTOR 2. OR....OR....They can be grateful they are able to play solo at all, even though obviously it has downsides like waiting on other people who exist in the world, instead of beeyotching about it like children.

Sangetorix's Avatar


Sangetorix
11.15.2017 , 01:41 PM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by marcofanggg View Post
That is not the problem, the problem is that in SWTOR the person that gets the first hit on a mob owns the kill. In ESO for example everyone that does at least 3% damage to a mob also gets credit for the kill so you can't "steal" kills from people and in fact more people at a World Boss or Heroic area is actually good. I don't want to be left alone, I want to be able to finish my missions.
That is actually a great suggestion! Thank you for saying that!

I agree, it SHOULD be that way. Thank you for putting it like that. Now I think I understand some people's perspectives a little better.

DWho's Avatar


DWho
11.15.2017 , 01:44 PM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by GalacticKegger View Post
Dumb is paying to live in a city then complaining about there being a population. And I'm not sure where the forced grouping concept came from because the only content in this game that even suggests forced grouping is when someone intentionally queues for group content in Group Finder. Honestly, if a "just leave me alone" player is expecting a MMO to be devoid of players so they can just be left alone then MMOs are probably not in their best gaming interests.
What is dumb, is the constant use of the statement "It's an MMO" to denegrate concerns other players have. The original poster had an issue with being able to complete the content in a timely manner (not all that different from what group players were saying before the merges) and the response to him was that this is an MMO. The poster "pays" to play in this city too, so he has some right to believe his concerns should be answered as well. The problem is there is a very simple solution to solve his issue and that is simply to lower the number of players in an area it takes to trigger a new instance but as soon as that is brought up out comes the "It's an MMO" meme again..

Sangetorix's Avatar


Sangetorix
11.15.2017 , 01:49 PM | #28
Quote: Originally Posted by DieAlteHexe View Post
You'd think after all these years this bickering about how an MMO should be played would've died out, but nooooooo.

There are many other things to do in an MMO aside from grouping up to combat. Socialising, crafting, exploring etc. This attempt to relegate those with a playstyle preference that is catered to (along with other styles) by the studio that created the game via the dismissive "go play a solo game" is really, really getting old. Like, literally, nearly 20 years old. Note, too, that the smart studios realised that they were missing a trick with the "must group" mentality and started working in solo/duo content which has been a nice draw for many players.

That said, in a sense there is nothing stopping them except for their preference in how to avail themselves of the content provided. Imagine, if you will, how you'd like it if all of a sudden you could no longer play in the way that brings you enjoyment. I rather expect you might be a bit put out.
Well, from what I can see it's not catered to. If it was, you wouldn't be having problems.

It seems to me that you are a person who benefited from low server populations because of your playstyle. They merged the servers now. Now populations are higher. And now you're having problems you may have had before because of that. If they endorsed your playstyle, they'd work a way to fix it. They haven't....doesn't that lead you to believe that maybe they don't endorse it?

And also I would like to say that the reason this argument keeps coming up over and over is because it has merit. I would be frustrated too if I had to keep elaborating --- for 20 years did you say? --- for something that needs to be constantly propped up because it can't stand on it's own.

OH....and one more thing: KOTET and KOTEF are basically single player. There's your answer. Go play that game......so yeah.....

DWho's Avatar


DWho
11.15.2017 , 01:51 PM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by Sangetorix View Post
I don't understand what you mean by no 'targets' available. Can you elaborate on that please?

And per your second point, you don't have to be all at the same point. I have grouped up myself with people who were just starting story missions, and I simply took ahold of my patience and sportsmanship and did it all over again with them. Most times, it turns out I'm a more experienced player, and they have asked me questions along the way about the game while I'm helping them. Can I ask, have you been playing the game a long time? A new player may benefit from this sort of short-term tutelage. Maybe try whispering them while they're moving along and specifically say something like, 'Hey if we group up together we can help each other out,' that way they know what your intentions are when you invite them. There are a lot of other ways you could put it too.

Grouping in this manner /does/ happen. I have experienced it firsthand from both perspectives.



If I had to guess, your experience sounds similar to the guy I quoted above. Try whispering these people, and simply ask, 'do you mind if I group with you? that way we can help each other do the mission(s).' I appreciate it when people let me know what their intentions are.

I have to agree with Galactic Keeper and Talon_Strikes on this one. This is a multiplayer game. What really would be the point of having all these things instanced if it's a multiplayer game? The very fact that they're not leads one to believe that it is. If someone doesn't like it, they can play KOTOR or KOTOR 2. OR....OR....They can be grateful they are able to play solo at all, even though obviously it has downsides like waiting on other people who exist in the world, instead of beeyotching about it like children.
As an example that I just completed on Tatooine. There are 5 infiltrators that you need to kill that are spread out all over Mos Ila. Since I have played this game a lot I know where they all are. Going from location to location I found that they had all already been killed and during that time did not see another person killing one of them. That is what I meant. As far as grouping at different points, yes it is possible but the likelihood of it occurring goes down the closer to completion people get. And as I said in response to Talon, it's all fine and dandy to say people should group but the fact is they don't and nothing anyone can do is going to make that happen. It just makes the game unpleasant to play. Personally I don't have a problem with the whole competing for objectives because I know the tricks. New players don't and they are the ones being impacted (and frustrated).

TUXs's Avatar


TUXs
11.15.2017 , 01:52 PM | #30
Quote: Originally Posted by GalacticKegger View Post
You mean ... like a MMO?
Right?! Perhaps multiplayer games aren't something the OP should be playing.
All warfare is based on deception If his forces are united, separate them If you are far from the enemy, make him believe you are near A leader leads by example not by force
My referral code: here What you get: here (1 FREE transfer 7-day FREE sub FREE Jumpstart and Preferred Bundles)