Letter to the developers: -- Balancing --

ichebem

I Don’t ask for much feedback, but would be really glad about a “/we read it”

Dear Swtor-Players & Developers & Officers,

I´m longtime player and fan of the game.

I have an abnormal amount of playing time and experience in every part of the game, especially in PvP. I have already played at the absolute top level, but claim that I can understand the problems of the average player quite well

I really like it and I´m glad that currently there are many small balance adjustments.

Nevertheless, I think that these adjustments are not yet optimal,but I think I can give good ideas and guidance on how to improve balancing even further.

The aim of my suggestions is to improve the balancing in all game areas and for the different skill levels of the players. My suggestions are written from a PvP point of view, but I've put a lot of emphasis on positively influencing PvE, if anything.

So Lets Start: Suggestion 1:

Mercenary/Commando Healer:

Change the way Koltobomb works.

Make it scale with #People hitten Fantasy Numbers

Old: Lobs a kolto bomb at the target area, exploding on impact. Heals up to 8 allies within 8 meters of the targeted area for 10.

New: Lobs a kolto bomb at the target area, exploding on impact. Heals 60 splitted among 4-8 allies within 8 meters of targeted area

Example: 8 Allies Hitten: Old: Each gets healed 10 a total of: 80 / new: Each gets healed for 7,5 a total of: 60

Example: 6 Allies Hitten: Old: Each gets healed 10 a total of l: 60 / new: Each gets healed for 10 a total of: 60

Example: 4 Allies Hitten: Old: Each gets healed 10 a total of: 40 / new: Each gets healed for 15 a total of: 60

Example: 2 Allies Hitten: Old: Each gets healed 10 a total of l: 20 / new: Each gets healed for 15 a total of: 30

Player Comment: We've found that a significant portion of the healing of a commando was caused by its defensive CD's. As a result, while the Commando was nearly immortal, it is weaker in healing allies than the other two classes. Therefore, we decided to weaken the defensive CD's of the commando. In return, we want to strengthen the healing ability of the commando.

We think that koltobomb is the ideal skill to redesign. For this purpose, we have developed a completely new way of group healing. The amount of healing scales with the number of players hit. This allowed us to give the commando a situational heal, which allows the commando to heal 3-5 ally most efficiently. At the same time, we have reduced the amount of healing for 6-8 allies, as otherwise the Koltobomb would be superior to the AoE-Heal abilities of the other classes due to the low CD. If the Koltobomb meets two goals, it is now a good choice, but advanced medical probe or bacta infusion are still better options.

Sage/Sorcerer

just a comment about what the problem is.

There are many ways to solve the problem, if this is really to be read, of course I will suggest my ideas, but first I want to describe the problem.

Sorcerers have no weakness when played by a good player. They can kite very well, they have a good AoE healing, they have very good burst heal and they also have a very good sustained heal. Overall, sorcerers have by far the best package of all healclasses. But, and that's the problem, only the very best players are able to retrieve the potential of this class. The gap between an average player and a top player is much too large and, above all, much larger than other heal classes, such as the commando. The problem is that only the best players manage to deliver a high level of heal output while not completely using up their resources. Normal players fail and are either very fast without resources, or heal very little, as they save resources all the time. The solution is relatively simple, bringing the average player closer to the performance of a very good player by changing the skills so that there is an easy and safe way to reach about 80% of the top player's performance without too many resources consume. That also works with Commando and Rogue Healer. As mentioned above, if you are interested in my problem solving for this problem, let me know, I have the ideas in my head, it's just about writing them down, but since it takes a lot of time, it's hard to find the motivation to write everything down if you do not know if the key people (Developers & Officers) will eventually read it.

General PvP-PvE-Comment

And yes believe me or not I have already for almost every problem mentioned a possible solution (finely tuned to the numbers missing, of course), which would be very good for PvP, without affecting the PvE. In many cases, the changes would even enrich the PvE as well as the PvP.

Nobody wants all classes to do everything the same, there should be different solutions. But everyone should have their niche in which they are the best solution. The niche in which class xy does something best.

Quite placatively speaking, this means: no class should be able to do anything. If she can kite very well, she should endure less, or do less damage, if she can very well pursue targets, should she also endure less, or do less damage. But if it takes a lot of skill on the part of players to bring the damage out of the class, then it should be easier for this class to survive. I just want to give you two examples where the whole thing went completely wrong. First of all: The Marauder, he has a very high mobility, a very good survivability and almost the maximum damage output of all classes. This whole package does not fit. (Patch 5.6 will hopefully change that). Example Two: The Gunslinger, also he can kite very well, has a lot of immunity and defensive CD's and can do very well compared to other Range DD's. He does not stand out as clearly as the Sentinel, but still clearly. (here comes an adaptation with patch 5.6 Thumbs Up!)

One might ask why I name 2 examples that are being changed. But that's exactly the reason. They are being changed, something is actually happening, and unfortunately I have not been able to observe that often in the long time I've been at swtor. Therefore, I hope to actually reach the developers with this thread.

I also mentioned the two upper classes because they were wrongly adapted in my opinion. The problem that they are too strong overall was recognized and addressed, but it was turned on the wrong set screw. But as I said before, writing down and explaining my ideas is a lot more work than a short text like this, especially in English, as this is not my native language. So, if there really is an open ear from the developer for class-balancing community suggestions, let us know, and I'm sure I and many others would be willing to work out their ideas and explain them well on the board.

Greetings

Sparks

p.s.: Would be so happy about a small reaction, and feel free to contact me, if want to listen to my ideas, its all about sharing them and find the best solution in the end.

Edited by ichebem

To provide a tl.dr of your post

1. Op is an average skill level player who has played for quite a while
  2. Kolto Bomb (Merc/Com Heal) heals for a set amount that is then split depending on how many players it hits
  3. Sage/Sorcerer is difficult to play as healers run out of force
  4. Guardian has too high mobility, survivability and damage output.
    Gunslinger has way too many defensive cooldowns and is too far ahead in damage.

My comments is that both your problems and solutions are not based on reality, kolto bomb doesn't need a rework, the healing potential of mercs is already where it should be following the reconfigurations in the latest patch. Their AoE healing is already covered partly through Kolto Bomb and Progressive Scan, the rework you suggest isn't needed cause it isn't a problem in the first place.

Your comments regarding Sage, Guardian and Gunslinger are simply based on experiance from either observing or playing the classes with a far below average skill. It's true that the readjustments made Sage healer a bit more difficult to heal with, but the lack of resources that you exemplify simply illustrates inexperience with the class and "rotation". The same can be said about your comments regarding Guardian and Gunslinger, sure they can be annoying if you have no idea to correctly fight them in a PvP environment, but apart from the skank tank-guardian (which is a separate issue you don't address at all) neither of the classes arehardly in need of a nerf in PvP based on your factors.

I doubt you will get a reply or even a read through from any of the developers, not only are the issues that you want to address not issues in the first place and your suggestions would create a bunch of new problems. The key issue is how you have structured your post and how you formulate your thinking, it's next to impossible to follow any type of red thread in your arguing.

Edited by RikuvonDrake

Dang Riku beat me!

Anyway, having also played "an abnormal amount" of playtime in all areas of the game I can tell you the balancing we got now is good and with the coming utility changes it will be perfect.

No need to change, but that you for your interest.

Long post, long answer. Brace yourself. :rak_03:

Well, first, we're talking about Mercenary/Commando healer :

Well... I'll just say that I don't really main this class, this privilege belongs to my wife, so I'll just comment on what I've seen her do and what I've seen other peoples do, both in PvP and in PvE (Strictly my own and personal analysis)

First : Do they need a gameplay rework like you suggested ? No. The principle of Bodyguard Mercenary was always big cast time, compensated by big heals. Its own weakness is also its strenght in a way. "Improving" (more like changing rather than improve) the way kolto missile works isn't the most important tweak this class needs right now. It heals enough, for both single and multi target. Don't forget it has a very short cooldown and is an instant ability. Improving its single target capacity while removing its aoe functionality isn't logical when you see what the class offers already.

Still, you nailed a really strong point concerning mercenary : its defensive options.

Currently, as far as I've seen on Parses and just from playing, in an average warzone, between 10 and 15% of Bodyguard's heal is made only with it's defensive cooldown. Just so you imagine, on a 3M total healing done, it's a bit more than 300k hp given back only by these defensive ability. This doesn't seem like much, for sure, but it's 3 h2f without using any gcd, remove these abilities and Bodyguard lose a big part of his advantages in wz, and also in PvE (safeguards does have its use). The issue we have now is that they don't want to touch the defensive options (not listening to players demands) but will nerf the overall ability of Bodyguard, even though it was the "worst" healer of all three.

You did call a good point here, Balance shouldn't have let these defensive ability like this/nerf Bodyguard. Proper balance would have been achieved in an easier way by doing the opposite, nerfing the defensive ability, while Bg stayed like this (hence putting it on the same level as the other two healers in terms of raw HPS, which was their initial goal let's not forget this).

Sage/Sorcerer :

Corruption Sorcerer was my main heal since I began healing on this game, it still is now even after the nerfs, I'm just gonna say some things that should have been thought by the class balance team. ;)

We all know that, until recently, sorcerer was by far the best healer of all three spec in the game. Strong mobility, strong and instant heals for a less than significant cost in your Force reserve. Compared to Mercenary (Slow but really strong heals) and Operative (HoT and strong AoE healing), there was a tons of possibilities to balance this spec correctly, the main issue I have with the current Corruption sorcerer is that they didn't only nerfed the power of its heal/the cost of these heals, but its gameplay was impacted as well.

Slow, tedious, weak and heavy on force management is what the current sorcerer is when it comes to healing. Sure, good players will still manage to do some more than correct heals with this class, because they are indeed good players who knows how to do their job. :p But that's not the point. My point here is to ask if nerfing the overall feeling of the class, its gameplay in general (here, increasing the reaction time, making it way slower to deliver heals that aren't even that powerfull) was the right thing to do. Wasn't there another solution ? Increasing the force cost of some core ability ? Or plain and simply reducing the healing done by some others ? Why do both AND reduce it's overall feeling ? That's my question. i'm more than okay with playing a slower class if it can deliver strong heals. Or on the contrary, a quick class with heavy ressource management is alright with me too, because it increases the skill required to be at full efficiency all the time (which wasn't that difficult before).

Overall, we're seeing a lot of nerfs in terms of gameplay, even for Medicine Operative (less HoT, less TA, more reliance on cast and weaker burst as well) but not a whole lot of improvement (i'm not saying buffs) for balancing these class. I find it quite sad and strange to see that this was the only possible option the team could find, because it clearly impact more than the raw HPS output.

General comments for PvE and PvP :

First of all, you'll be reworking your opinion on dps guardian. They deal a rather average damage in warzone and PvE (they tend to be really good when it comes to AoE and fluff damage, but that's it) while being one of the most fragile class right now due to the bad scaling of their defensive ability (Enraged Defense healing less than needed). I think you are currently reffering to the Skank Guardian (tank spec in dps gear), which was my primary concern about this section. Currently, and even more after the 5.6 utility changes, some dps spec are way too fragile in order to compete properly in PvP. Currently, to "fix" this situation, players tend to run on a tank spec with dps gear because tanks will endure a lot of damage while being able to hit back as well. And this is where the problem comes, the ability to resist against an opponent will often decide the outcome of a match.

As an exemple, Assassins currently have the "Shapeless Spirit" utility point, which grants a 30% damage reduction when stunned, mandatory when playing in PvP because of the omnipresence of stuns in this game. Without this, you get stunned, you die if you don't break and cloak. Deception Assassins also have one more passive ability (who was also a part of Shapeless Spirit before) which reduces the AoE damage they receive by 30%.

The class balance team, seeing the complaints about Hatred Assassins not being able to survive, decided to improve this. They took out the AoE reduction from Deception and put it back into Shapeless Spirit. All is good then, no ? Not exactly, since they also removed the damage reduction when stunned (this ability is now only exclusive to the tank spec), hence nerfing both Hatred and Deception in the process. Pretty strange for a so-called "buff", don't you find ? In the end, Tanks assassins still uses the old passive, which make them more resistant to hardswap in PvP. Tank usefullness stayed the same, dps efficiency decreased.

Another example is Powertech. Advanced Prototype currently have a passive ability which give them both a DR when stunned and an AoE DR. Again, in order to boost the survivability of Powertech, they took out this passive from AP and made it into a utility point. The issue here is that now only the AoE DR applies to DPS spec, the stun DR applies only to tank spec. In the end, it's also a nerf for one spec, a not so big improvement for another and a big buff for the tank spec, which is disappointing because Powertech needed a big buff for every spec, not just one.

As you can see, it's almost as if the game wanted you to play tank in PvP right now. They receive some interesting buffs while the dps spec (who weren't good in the current meta) are once again nerfed. This leads to a somewhat old pattern, which was how peoples used the three skill tree back in the days :p (In short, you could invest some points in the tank tree while keeping your advantages as a dps, leading to some powerfull hybrid class). We now have only one discipline path because the devs did not want hybrids anymore, but we're slowly turning in a direction where hybrids are once again more powerfull and more interesting than a "pure" spec... :rak_03:

As a side note, when you said

If she can kite very well, she should endure less, or do less damage, if she can very well pursue targets, should she also endure less, or do less damage. But if it takes a lot of skill on the part of players to bring the damage out of the class, then it should be easier for this class to survive.

Every class in this game have a number of escape, or gap closer at its disposal. The issue being that those don't always work as intended, and some defensive ability/escape are stronger than what some other class have. Adjusting damage based on how much you can exploit this (broken) system isn't the way to do things correctly. First, work on the escape options, and on the ability to close gap quickly. Powertech cannot be certain to leap to its target 100% of the time, because the ability is bugged. The same apply for Operative/Assassins who have a broken dash (sometimes work strangely or won't work at all). On the other hand you have some class like Mercenary who are able to kite almost indefinitely and opponent due to their root, slow backdash, net and whatever else. This is the strange part, because it is one source of the current imbalance in PvP as well. No matter how strong you are, if you cannot reach your opponent he just won't die at all. Each ranged class should be able to kite another, sure. But each melee class should also be able to approach them correctly and stick to their target for some time at least, in order to deal sufficient damage.

In the end we should be talking more about player skills (the one who can use its escape in a smart way or the one who can close gap and being clever in the use of his ability to stick to its target), but the current system makes it difficult to do that, because our class balance team hasn't been able to find the right balance between those two aspect of the game. Ranged shouldn't deal less damage than melee or whatever. Skilled players should be more efficient than less skilled players.

Ok, that's it, I finished talking. Sorry for the long read, hope to see your answer :D

To provide a tl.dr of your post

Thanks for your comment. I wrote guardian instead of marauder. I meant that marauder are to strong, guardian has quite weak defensives.. of course, that was my fault.

We could discuss endless about what classes are to strong, and which are to weak.... we shouldn´t do the mistake to compare classes 1 vs 1, we should compare the use for a group in ranked or normal warzone.

From this point of view, I think that Gunslinger bring significantly more than the other RangeDD's or that Gunslinger have no real weakness, and strengthen the commando (selfheal) or sage (offheal) are not really relevant in most of the fighting. Whereas the strengths of gunslinger always come to fruition and he has few real weaknesses and on the other hand, the weaknesses of sages (squishiness) always attract attention and requires team support. The sage simply does not bring enough DPS advantage, or other advantages. In 8 out of 10 situations, a gunslinger is a better or equal choice than a commando or sage, and that suggests a bad balance for me. Just the fact that the Gunslinger is the only range class to distribute a Healdebuff and has significantly more castimmunity than the other classes are important advantages.

About the red thread: Sorry, its not my native language, its hard for me to write and think in english.

-------------------------------------------

@merovejec

Yeah we have quite a good balancing right now. Most time balancing was just ... sad. Now its in many parts ok. But its not great, there is still a lot to improve....

And i would say, that for example, during patch 2.0 the balancing for the healclasses in pvp was better, while it was absolutely bad for PvE at this time.

----------------------------------------

Long post, long answer. Brace yourself. :rak_03:

Thx for a great Comment. I will talk about Koltobomb at the end of this post. First, sorry for mixing up between guardian and marauder in my initial post. my fault.

Sage/Sorcerer:

You pretty much get it to the point. I agree with you almost completely and I would have preferred another nerf of the sage. Nucleating resources and heal output was unnecessary, and this has especially complicated the class so much that the average player is completely overwhelmed. And that may not be the goal, even though I think that sages is currently perfectly balanced for very good players . (or slightly too strong).

General comments for PvE and PvP :

Sorry for my guardian mistake... i am normally not using english class-names.

Every class in this game have a number of escape, or gap closer at its disposal. The issue being that those don't always work as intended, and some defensive ability/escape are stronger than what some other class have. Adjusting damage based on how much you can exploit this (broken) system isn't the way to do things correctly. First, work on the escape options, and on the ability to close gap quickly. Powertech cannot be certain to leap to its target 100% of the time, because the ability is bugged. The same apply for Operative/Assassins who have a broken dash (sometimes work strangely or won't work at all). On the other hand you have some class like Mercenary who are able to kite almost indefinitely and opponent due to their root, slow backdash, net and whatever else. This is the strange part, because it is one source of the current imbalance in PvP as well. No matter how strong you are, if you cannot reach your opponent he just won't die at all. Each ranged class should be able to kite another, sure. But each melee class should also be able to approach them correctly and stick to their target for some time at least, in order to deal sufficient damage.

In the end we should be talking more about player skills (the one who can use its escape in a smart way or the one who can close gap and being clever in the use of his ability to stick to its target), but the current system makes it difficult to do that, because our class balance team hasn't been able to find the right balance between those two aspect of the game. Ranged shouldn't deal less damage than melee or whatever. Skilled players should be more efficient than less skilled players.

+++++ i like very much.

I would, however, extend the whole thing a bit. It can not be the goal that all melees have equal or equal good mobility, but the strengths (mobility / burst dps / sustained dps / survivability / group support) must be equally distributed among the classes so that the decision is great is not dictated by the game. Each class needs to have clear advantages and disadvantages, and every class combination should be a compromise. Unfortunately, this is not the case right now. (see marauder)

About Kolto bomb

I have to talk to you unfortunately. Koltobombe was the commando heal par excellence during patch 1.0 and 2.0. And even today, Koltobomb is responsible for a large part of the cure in PvP and Pve.

The problem of Koltobombe compared to the AoE-Heals of the other classes is the short CD. This forces the command to invest significantly more time (gcd) to recover the aoe healing. The added value of healing that the commando receives for more use of time compared to a sages aoe heal is not given.

Exactly that makes the commando in PvP so weak at the moment, whereas in PvE it is very strong. In PvP you have just a few GCD's at your disposal, and the commando just needs too many. The simplest solution for this is to reinforce koltobomb in the field of application that most frequently occurs in pvp and to make koltobomb an alternative starting from 2 targets. With my suggestion not even the very good healing in the pve would be further improved, but the absolute aoe-healing would be slightly lowered. Whereas in PvP effective healing of 3-5 targets would be well possible, which is really important.

Of course, from a PvP point of view, this would be a buff on the Heal performance, but that's exactly what we need, especially as our defensive CD is legitimately freewheeled. Actually, based on my current pvp experiences, a bigger buff for the HPS of the commando healer would be acceptable, but I think this change to koltobomb would fight the problems of the command where they exist. and the main problem is that you do not have enough GCD's. Therefore, my suggestion is to upgrade the value of the GCD used for koltobomb.

They dont balance against other classes. they dont balance against content. They balance against internal secret metrics. they dont really care how or if classes can complete any particular content. balancing for pvp often screws up pve. balancing for pve often screws up pvp. BW has absolutely no ability to actually balance anything. The dont listen to player input and dont really care what we think, otherwise this summers painfully extended nerf fest would not have happened.

I have a general message with respect to this effort to balance.

Note that this is my opinion...I do not want to demean the OPs post in any way.

So, my suggestion with respect to the balancing effort?

STOP IT.

You accomplish next to nothing. Proof? How many times have you balanced, rebalanced, boosted, nerfed, boosted, rebalanced, etc. It is a constant and foolish endeavor that accomplished little to nothing in the end.

If you REALLY want to balance PVP, create a different rule set for PVP that you can tweak to your hearts desire. But PVE does not need the constant needling you guys do year in and year out.

Seriously. It is past foolish at this point. Just stop.

I have a general message with respect to this effort to balance.

Note that this is my opinion...I do not want to demean the OPs post in any way.

So, my suggestion with respect to the balancing effort?

STOP IT.

You accomplish next to nothing. Proof? How many times have you balanced, rebalanced, boosted, nerfed, boosted, rebalanced, etc. It is a constant and foolish endeavor that accomplished little to nothing in the end.

If you REALLY want to balance PVP, create a different rule set for PVP that you can tweak to your hearts desire. But PVE does not need the constant needling you guys do year in and year out.

Seriously. It is past foolish at this point. Just stop.

There seem to be an issue nowadays with peoples, who assume that damage nerfs are made because of PvP or whatever.

This isn't the case. You may very well play the strongest spec in the game, if you die instantly you won't dps at all :)

Damage output nerfs aren't needed because of PvP, as well as nerfs to survivability of some dps spec aren't made because of PvE.

Don't say that the damage nerf of Carnage was needed because PvP players complained about it. The spec was overperforming in PvE, and got a nerf for it. Likewise, PvE peoples will never complain about Trauma Regulator or Ruthless Aggressor because it makes a somebody too difficult to kill, simply because those don't affect PvE at all.

So I'd rather say that you should think a bit about this before asking someone with balance ideas to stop asking for a better game :p

We all pay for playing this game, we all have the right to want a better gaming experience for all of us. :)

So I'd rather say that you should think a bit about this before asking someone with balance ideas to stop asking for a better game :p

We all pay for playing this game, we all have the right to want a better gaming experience for all of us. :)

Im not asking the OP to stop asking, or anyone for that matter. I am asking BIOWARE to stop.

The balance crusade that has gone on for almost 6 years has essentially failed IMO. The classes, at least to me, do not feel any more balanced now than when this game launched.

I can't say how many balances have been done exactly...nor can I say which ones were for PVP and PVE. Nor am I saying that balance changes are NEVER appropriate...obviously tweaks have to be made.

I am saying it has been entirely too excessive.

With new content, new mechanics, new abilities, , reworked utilities, new sets of gear and with players getting more and more experiance with their classes and how to "cheese" damage, there will continuously be a need to rebalance the game to ensure that it's in tune to how content is balanced.

You might not like it, but sadly for you, that is the reality and despite your comments regarding what you perceive as "imbalance", you might find that in reality, most recent changes have improved class balance a lot.

Edited by RikuvonDrake

With new content, new mechanics, new abilities, , reworked utilities, new sets of gear and with players getting more and more experiance with their classes and how to "cheese" damage, there will continuously be a need to rebalance the game to ensure that it's in tune to how content is balanced.

You might not like it, but sadly for you, that is the reality and despite your comments regarding what you perceive as "imbalance", you might find that in reality, most recent changes have improved class balance a lot.

They have told us that they do NOT balance against content. they balance against a secret internal metric. the nerfs this summer show that they couldnt even balance to that properly.

I Don’t ask for much feedback, but would be really glad about a “/we read it”

Dear Swtor-Players & Developers & Officers,

I´m longtime player and fan of the game.

Sage/Sorcerer

just a comment about what the problem is.

There are many ways to solve the problem, if this is really to be read, of course I will suggest my ideas, but first I want to describe the problem.

Sorcerers have no weakness when played by a good player. They can kite very well, they have a good AoE healing, they have very good burst heal and they also have a very good sustained heal. Overall, sorcerers have by far the best package of all healclasses. But, and that's the problem, only the very best players are able to retrieve the potential of this class. The gap between an average player and a top player is much too large and, above all, much larger than other heal classes, such as the commando. The problem is that only the best players manage to deliver a high level of heal output while not completely using up their resources. Normal players fail and are either very fast without resources, or heal very little, as they save resources all the time. The solution is relatively simple, bringing the average player closer to the performance of a very good player by changing the skills so that there is an easy and safe way to reach about 80% of the top player's performance without too many resources consume. That also works with Commando and Rogue Healer. As mentioned above, if you are interested in my problem solving for this problem, let me know, I have the ideas in my head, it's just about writing them down, but since it takes a lot of time, it's hard to find the motivation to write everything down if you do not know if the key people (Developers & Officers) will eventually read it.

General PvP-PvE-Comment

I just want to give you two examples where the whole thing went completely wrong. First of all: The Marauder, he has a very high mobility, a very good survivability and almost the maximum damage output of all classes. This whole package does not fit. (Patch 5.6 will hopefully change that). Example Two: The Gunslinger, also he can kite very well, has a lot of immunity and defensive CD's and can do very well compared to other Range DD's. He does not stand out as clearly as the Sentinel, but still clearly. (here comes an adaptation with patch 5.6 Thumbs Up!)

One might ask why I name 2 examples that are being changed. But that's exactly the reason. They are being changed, something is actually happening, and unfortunately I have not been able to observe that often in the long time I've been at swtor. Therefore, I hope to actually reach the developers with this thread.

I also mentioned the two upper classes because they were wrongly adapted in my opinion. The problem that they are too strong overall was recognized and addressed, but it was turned on the wrong set screw. But as I said before, writing down and explaining my ideas is a lot more work than a short text like this, especially in English, as this is not my native language. So, if there really is an open ear from the developer for class-balancing community suggestions, let us know, and I'm sure I and many others would be willing to work out their ideas and explain them well on the board.

Greetings

Sparks

p.s.: Would be so happy about a small reaction, and feel free to contact me, if want to listen to my ideas, its all about sharing them and find the best solution in the end.

Yes OP, only the very vest players should be able to bring out the maximum of sorcerer/sage healers.

What you propose sounds like this: let's make it easier for the below avarage skill/clueless players because it's not fair that a good player who spent time learning and practicing his class is so much better. Sorry, but PVP isn't like that.

Second, the Marauder.

From the way you see Maras it's clear you haven't really played one and got ripped appart quite hard by some top maras in the game.

Class is as it should be, friend. It's the most balanced package out there.

Damage and Decent survival .

Obfuscate was added because the class has very little self heals. It needed something to compensate

You know why good maras destory you so easily ? They use their defenses very well. And yeah, mastering that needs practice and dedication.

Edited by DavidAtkinson

Yes OP, only the very vest players should be able to bring out the maximum of sorcerer/sage healers.

What you propose sounds like this: let's make it easier for the below avarage skill/clueless players because it's not fair that a good player who spent time learning and practicing his class is so much better. Sorry, but PVP isn't like that.

Second, the Marauder.

From the way you see Maras it's clear you haven't really played one and got ripped appart quite hard by some top maras in the game.

Class is as it should be, friend. It's the most balanced package out there.

Damage and Decent survival .

Obfuscate was added because the class has very little self heals. It needed something to compensate

You know why good maras destory you so easily ? They use their defenses very well. And yeah, mastering that needs practice and dedication.

Well, currently I find that very funny to be able to facetank an entire arsenal rotation with a fury mara, or a resist to a madness sorc is also funny, not for him tho :p

Ruthless Aggressor is OP, we all know it. Removing it wouldn't make sense though, but 75% resist chance is way too much for this class who shouldn't be able to last longer than a powertech or a jugg.

In friendly terms, I think you've got the "I play this class and it isn't OP" syndrome, this happens to all of us don't worry. ;)

Anyway, just try some wz with another class than marauder, like an operative, a sorc or whatever, just to see what really happens on the other side. ^^ Mara does need some rework on his utility. it doesn't have self heal, beacuse he didn't need one to begin with, since he's able to throw in some ridiculous numbers anyway. Sure, the current meta with god merc and god snipers make it seem like it needed it, but seriously, the class was perfectly balanced in 4.0. Now it is overtuned, not by much, but it isn't where it should be because of this specific utility.

Hey Guys,

Obviously, some of my statements were misunderstood, so I would like to explain some again. Concerning

my comment on the saga healer. I said, that the gap between Top Player and normal player performance is to big.

Of course skill should be rewarded and a strong player should always achieve better results than a weak one. But if Bioware adjusts the game so that the average player copes, then top players should still produce numbers that are in line. And they do not do that at the time of the legend compared to the command abilities of a commando / rogue. A sages that is optimally interrupted heals 20-25% more than an optimally interrupted command. And this difference can not be explained with better survivability or the advantage of the network. It's just too much. 10-15% would be acceptable. And now, before anyone thinks these numbers are out of thin air, they are not. They are from my current Teamranked experience and the numbers are all counted against. A perfectly broken and stunned command does not nearly approach a Sages. I could now write much more about it and include the villain in the comparison and explain exactly where the problems lie, and how to limit the healing power of a command so far that requires quite a very good organization of the opponents. But for what? Bioware does not read anyway ... and unfortunately nothing will happen. And to make this clear: I'm not about the commando, or about Sages, Healer or whatever, I'm looking for a good balancing ... and of that we are nunmal miles away, and that looks at the DD's much worse out than at the Healers. The healers are still good compared to the DD's.

Just to make that clear again: a Maradeur has good to very good damage, mobility and survivabilty. That's just too much in the end, a point, and which one I do not care, must be annoyed here, a class without vulnerability should be weaker in other things, otherwise lose other classes their reason for being.

Last Note: This post is, of course, about my gaming experience, but it depends on a good big community and an active ranked game, because that's why I play. And ranked is the more exciting and versatile the better a game is balanced.

Somehow I have the feeling, I am here assumed I would call buffs or nerfs for my classes. that's nonsense, i just want a good balancing, because i do not find it exciting when 90% of the teams in the teamranked list with the same setup.

In the end, normal pvp does not really makes me fun, not because it's boring, but because you just have to do 25 games until there is a single one, whose output is not decided before. At least that's my problem when I queue with my people and that's not supposed to sound arrogant, but we really win just about any game in the normal pvp, and win 3 vs 8 zerg and so on...... and that's not our special achievement, but the fact owed that the opposing DD does not even make 1k DPS. its boring, its unbelievable how they manage to do so little dps....therefore i go for ranked pvp... but there you have really issues with the current balancing... sad story bro.

Hey Guys,

Obviously, some of my statements were misunderstood, so I would like to explain some again. Concerning

my comment on the saga healer. I said, that the gap between Top Player and normal player performance is to big.

Of course skill should be rewarded and a strong player should always achieve better results than a weak one. But if Bioware adjusts the game so that the average player copes, then top players should still produce numbers that are in line. And they do not do that at the time of the legend compared to the command abilities of a commando / rogue. A sages that is optimally interrupted heals 20-25% more than an optimally interrupted command. And this difference can not be explained with better survivability or the advantage of the network. It's just too much. 10-15% would be acceptable. And now, before anyone thinks these numbers are out of thin air, they are not. They are from my current Teamranked experience and the numbers are all counted against. A perfectly broken and stunned command does not nearly approach a Sages. I could now write much more about it and include the villain in the comparison and explain exactly where the problems lie, and how to limit the healing power of a command so far that requires quite a very good organization of the opponents. But for what? Bioware does not read anyway ... and unfortunately nothing will happen. And to make this clear: I'm not about the commando, or about Sages, Healer or whatever, I'm looking for a good balancing ... and of that we are nunmal miles away, and that looks at the DD's much worse out than at the Healers. The healers are still good compared to the DD's.

Just to make that clear again: a Maradeur has good to very good damage, mobility and survivabilty. That's just too much in the end, a point, and which one I do not care, must be annoyed here, a class without vulnerability should be weaker in other things, otherwise lose other classes their reason for being.

Last Note: This post is, of course, about my gaming experience, but it depends on a good big community and an active ranked game, because that's why I play. And ranked is the more exciting and versatile the better a game is balanced.

Somehow I have the feeling, I am here assumed I would call buffs or nerfs for my classes. that's nonsense, i just want a good balancing, because i do not find it exciting when 90% of the teams in the teamranked list with the same setup.

In the end, normal pvp does not really makes me fun, not because it's boring, but because you just have to do 25 games until there is a single one, whose output is not decided before. At least that's my problem when I queue with my people and that's not supposed to sound arrogant, but we really win just about any game in the normal pvp, and win 3 vs 8 zerg and so on...... and that's not our special achievement, but the fact owed that the opposing DD does not even make 1k DPS. its boring, its unbelievable how they manage to do so little dps....therefore i go for ranked pvp... but there you have really issues with the current balancing... sad story bro.

I can agree with this, but I don't think it's possible.

Class Balance has been a problem since day 1 and after 6 years of countless nerfs, renerfs and buffs we still have no class balance.

The only possible way to balance PVE and PVP is to separate to 2 skill trees. After that, devs can balance for PVP freely without making the PVE crowd angry.

Is it possible ? No idea.

Your post about sage healing even if correct will make sage/sorc healers angry. ;)

Edited by DavidAtkinson

The only possible way to balance PVE and PVP is to separate to 2 skill trees. After that, devs can balance for PVP freely without making the PVE crowd angry.

I agree with this statement entirely. Separating the two allows for balancing based on specific PVP or PVE performance, which IMO would require FAR LESS balancing rounds to achieve.

When you balance for PVP, often you break something in PVE and visa versa....so you go round and round with no end in sight. This is NOT the way it has to be, and there are games out there that separate the two. IMO this is a win for all involved.

It is never too late. I think it is long past due that this should be done, for the sake of the game, players and the sanity of developers.