Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Early Access and You, A Clarification

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Customer Service
Early Access and You, A Clarification

Blodhren
12.13.2011 , 07:21 AM | #1
Having skimmed over a dozen posts arguing over early access, I feel its necessary to point out the subtlties of language use in the pre-load emails everyone recieved.

The exact message is:

"Early Game Access* will begin on December 13th at 7:00AM EST, 2011 and ends on December 19th, 2011 at 10:01PM EST. During this time, we will be emailing invitations to join Early Game Access based on the order in which you redeemed your Pre-Order Code. Pre-load the game client now, so you're ready to play when your Early Game Access invitation arrives. Note that download time can vary and may take awhile."

This means Access can BEGIN on the 13th at the earliest, not necessarily that you can access the game directly at 7am EST- Access is being granted in staggered waves so as not to overwhelm the login servers (a real headache in past mmo launches); As a community can we please demonstrate the better part of valor and be PATIENT, a few hours will not kill you.
Peace is a lie. The Jedi fight for "peace". Power is an empty promise, pursued by the misguided Sith. Both know nothing, both have learned nothing. Honor and Glory are a fools prize, neither are of any use to the dead. There is only the Force.

Desaroll
12.13.2011 , 07:23 AM | #2
Sadly the ones that post those things won't read this...

devour
12.13.2011 , 07:24 AM | #3
Glad to see some people aren't crying LOL

Blodhren
12.13.2011 , 07:24 AM | #4
Whilst probably true, it was an honest attempt to point out the obvious. Sadly the lack of high-literary skill has lead to a multitude of whining.
Peace is a lie. The Jedi fight for "peace". Power is an empty promise, pursued by the misguided Sith. Both know nothing, both have learned nothing. Honor and Glory are a fools prize, neither are of any use to the dead. There is only the Force.

huntgod
12.13.2011 , 07:25 AM | #5
Just sending out emails letting you know when you will get in would have alleviated a lot of the congestion and confusion.

Instead they are waiting til literally the last minute to inform you of your time, which lends to a huge number of clamoring and irritated people hitting "get mail" and trying to log in, just in case.

This was not the best way to inform people, IF the intent was to make things go smoother.

NormalVisualC
12.13.2011 , 07:26 AM | #6
A rational and cogent point.

contingency
12.13.2011 , 07:26 AM | #7
"Early Game Access based on the order in which you redeemed your Pre-Order Code."

Thats total crap. I know two of my friends that recently preordered the game in the last month and both of them are in game playing this morning. I on the other hand preordered back in July and am still waiting to get in.

I would have to call foul on that one...
Life is your curse, and I shall free you from it...

Epix
12.13.2011 , 07:26 AM | #8
Understandable. I think the only thing they could have done better is to be a bit more transparent. They don't even have to break it down and say "based on your pre-order code redemption date you'll be playing on this time". Give us an idea of how many waves you intend to send out in a day and a rough estimate of the intervals. I'm sure a lot of people took time off and would appreciate even a little bit of an ETA. Even throw a disclosure on the end and say it's all subject to change. Anything is better than nothing.

Zebede
12.13.2011 , 07:27 AM | #9
Good to see the forums back up anyway. Pretty sure it will be a couple of days wait for early access for me anyway.

I'm in no rush, I was in beta so I've already had a chance to see the game.
I really need to start wearing glasses.

dyeager
12.13.2011 , 07:28 AM | #10
Now that I know what's going on it makes sense. However I still think it was misleading.

No big deal, will grab a cup of coffee and check back later, not the end of the world. But I think it is silly for people to say this couldn't have been handled better.