Vanilla companions in new expansions?

Draigaur

Hi, this is my first post (and I'm a long time lurker), so I apologise if it seems like I'm rambling, and I doubly apologise if this thread has been made elsewhere and I've not seen it!

Let me start off by saying that I love the game and i love the story, both of these make me keep coming back to the game. I've really enjoyed getting to know the new companions (team Lana and team HK55), but the question I'm most eager to ask is what is the role of the vanilla companions in the new expansions?

For example, if my Sith warrior romanced Quinn and DIDN'T kill him, what does he do in the new expansions? What role does he play in the alliance? Are we going to get some optional cut scenes with him if we romanced the guy? (I'd personally like some for closure). I'm sure there are other companions with this problem, but I'm ill atm so I can't think of them :confused:

I realise that Bioware have a limited budget and this probably seems like a waste, but what do you guys think? Do you think it's a waste of resources, or would you like to see a classic team up session in the expansions?

It depends on the companion. BioWare gave some of the original LI's (and other companions such as Gault) roles to play in Fallen Empire and Eternal Throne (Vette/Torian/Jorgan), but after they play their part, they essentially become voiceless paperweights. Quinn returns during the Iokath update, which is set about 1 year and 6 months after the Outlander wakes up from carbonite. It remains to be seen if he will have a part beyond the small part he plays in that expansion.

Other LI's, such as Andronikos, Ashara, Kira, Corso, etc have not yet been returned and it is unknown if they will have parts to play. My suspicion is that they will be paperweights. So far, BioWare has most definitely treated some companions as more important than others.

It sucks, but I think it boils down to resources and lack of good writing to actually include them in the storyline. Essentially, they became paperweights with Rise of the Hutt Cartel, and I don't see that changing any time soon. Good thing we have fanfiction!

Edited by Dracofish

Vanilla companions were slowly introduced during KOTFE and after KOTET only 2 were introduced again.

Most of them come back through alliance alerts, meaning they're not part of the main storyline at all.

The ones that are part from the main story however get a little screen time, those who came back already through the main story are: Kaliyo Djannis with chapter X of KOTFE

Aric Jorgan with chapter XI of KOTFE

Gault and Vette with chapter XIII of KOTFE

Torian with chapter XIV of KOTFE

With the introduction of war for for iokath you can either get Malavai Quinn or Dorne depending on choosing empire or republic respectively. Devs have stated that they're looking to bring in more comps in the last livestream but lord knows when that'll happen.

I know it is annoying, If you play a Jedi Knight or a Smuggler your character hasn't seen their love interest in over 6 years. And one has to suspend one's disbelief that after all that time, after it became well known that the character was alive, that those characters never sought the PC out. However, I really enjoyed Lana and Theron as characters, and especially the Lana romance. Edited by BellumEstBellum

I know it is annoying, If you play a Jedi Knight or a Smuggler your character hasn't seen their love interest in over 6 years. And one has to suspend one's disbelief that after all that time, after it became well known that the character was alive, that those characters never sought the PC out. However, I really enjoyed Lana and Theron as characters, and especially the Lana romance.

Jedi Consular's have exactly one companion returned ... via an alliance alert that was the old "go kill 20 things" type quest (Qyzen Fess). The last update about companions from the devs failed to mention a single consular companion. Pathetic.

Jedi Consular's have exactly one companion returned ... via an alliance alert that was the old "go kill 20 things" type quest (Qyzen Fess). The last update about companions from the devs failed to mention a single consular companion. Pathetic.

Same with the Inquisitor.

Same with the Inquisitor.

I'm guessing the Inquisitor didn't get Khem back due to choice the player could make about keeping Zash in his body. I also believe Ashara was mentioned as one of the companions they plan to bring back in the most recent livestream along with a number of other companions, but who knows when they'll show back up.

I'm guessing the Inquisitor didn't get Khem back due to choice the player could make about keeping Zash in his body. I also believe Ashara was mentioned as one of the companions they plan to bring back in the most recent livestream along with a number of other companions, but who knows when they'll show back up.

At this point I've kinda lost faith that they'll give us anything other than paperweight alerts. The Commander has been awake for two years now and it's no secret who he/she is. They can't handwave "jail" for all of them.

I've been writing an Andronikos x Inquisitor fic, and I'm pretty sure I'll be writing my own version of why he's absent and what he did while she was sleeping because I'm sure whatever they give us, it will probably be something along the lines of him carousing the galaxy with a new pirate crew and I would never buy that.

Khem being gone also makes absolutely no sense short of him being dead or trapped again. He was Force-bonded to the Inquisitor. Out of all the companions across all the classes, Khem is the one who would know right off the bat that the Inquisitor isn't dead. I'd half expect him to "Homeward Bound" his way right to Zakuul.

Edited by Dracofish

At this point I've kinda lost faith that they'll give us anything other than paperweight alerts. The Commander has been awake for two years now and it's no secret who he/she is. They can't handwave "jail" for all of them.

I've been writing an Andronikos x Inquisitor fic, and I'm pretty sure I'll be writing my own version of why he's absent and what he did while she was sleeping because I'm sure whatever they give us, it will probably be something along the lines of him carousing the galaxy with a new pirate crew and I would never buy that.

Khem being gone also makes absolutely no sense short of him being dead or trapped again. He was Force-bonded to the Inquisitor. Out of all the companions across all the classes, Khem is the one who would know right off the bat that the Inquisitor isn't dead. I'd half expect him to "Homeward Bound" his way right to Zakuul.

They'll have to do a little more than paperweights for the love interests, or not bring them back at all. If they bring the love interests back, they will have to do a 'Vette' type of role. I was surprised that they never brought Akaavi Spar back during the Mandalorean chapter in KOTFE.

I believe they mentioned Iresso, belatedly, but still.

i think you're right.

I agree with the others as well. Two years plus storyline (and real life) now and there are no concrete plans? I personally used the terminal on Odessa, made my own head canon, and moved on. But this is absurd on BW's part. Kill them, bring them back but do something. Another BW misdirection about plans to bring them back "soon"? Soon would be sometime before the end of the decade maybe?

They'll have to do a little more than paperweights for the love interests, or not bring them back at all. If they bring the love interests back, they will have to do a 'Vette' type of role. I was surprised that they never brought Akaavi Spar back during the Mandalorean chapter in KOTFE.

Quinn (and Dorne) came back on Iokath and has like a minute of screentime before becoming a paperweight. If I remember correctly, he's not listed as a "main character" in the followers panel. Honestly, I would go into the other LI's with the same low expectations...sadly. Yay for head canons!

Edited by Dracofish

For awhile all we were getting was all the recorded gibberish characters. Pretty much anything that didn't need voice acting ie doesn't speak basic.

Though personally I don't get why none of the force users still have yet to get a single padawan or apprentice returned this far into the story which for some of us was our original lover too. Still waiting on that lightside Jaessa romance that never happened :(

Yep. Other than Lana and Theron, the LIs have pretty much become background characters. They're like the alliance recruits you get from the Star Fortress alerts. The devs have teased about making Arcann a future LI, but given the way things are going now; who knows?

Personally, I'd wish they'd at least give us some information in one of their Road Maps on who's coming back and when.

Edited by Venn_Dras

Yep. Other than Lana and Theron, the LIs have pretty much become background characters. They're like the alliance recruits you get from the Star Fortress alerts. The devs have teased about making Arcann a future LI, but given the way things are going now; who knows?

Personally, I'd wish they'd at least give us some information in one of their Road Maps on who's coming back and when.

The Arcann romance has actually been confirmed. It remains to be seen how much real content we'll get from it though.

Right? Totally disappointed by that.

• 2 weeks later...

this is my opinion about lost companions that were romanced after 6+ years they have moved on, I won't forget that my Knight/Guardian seen during the 2nd chapter while speaking to Valkyrian ( i can't spell his name) was trying to torment my Knight and showing him what he's missing out on, in one clip Kira Marrying Doc. l hoped it was a lie but i recovered T7 he knew nothing, when i got Rusk he knew nothing. i wonder if that pic of Kira and Doc did get married.

i thaught my Shadows Nadia was cute with her being naive, but i only got Quizen back . the saddest thing i have started to believe i'll never see my missing companions so i romanced Lana, i did a chapter replay and lost my romance with Lana on my shadow. i sent in a ticket and got the usual we are sorry it is a known bug we will fix in the future.

Edited by EhiLightingrider

Though personally I don't get why none of the force users still have yet to get a single padawan or apprentice returned this far into the story which for some of us was our original lover too. Still waiting on that lightside Jaessa romance that never happened :(

Sith inquisitors get their official Korriban apprentice back. He even became a Lord in his own right during the five years.

Sith inquisitors get their official Korriban apprentice back. He even became a Lord in his own right during the five years.

I barely even count Xalek. I like him and all, but he's introduced so late in the story that he gets like zilch in terms of character development. I didn't even bother including him in my fanfic.

In my opinion, Ashara is the true apprentice. Depending on what convo choices you make with her, you can actually forge a pretty close relationship based off individual interpretations of the Sith Code.

Edited by Dracofish

Ashara is technically a dark jedi or something, at the very most she's a sith heretic or apostate. Xalek is the orthodox apprentice in the Inquisitor's roster, despite what may or may not have been oversights to his inclusion in the story. I actually really dig that dynamic, tbh. Edited by gragnongoth

Ashara is technically a dark jedi or something, at the very most she's a sith heretic or apostate. Xalek is the orthodox apprentice in the Inquisitor's roster, despite what may or may not have been oversights to his inclusion in the story. I actually really dig that dynamic, tbh.

That's where our opinions differ. If Ashara isn't a "true" apprentice, then neither is Jaesa. Just because they didn't go through the Academy, that doesn't make them any less of an apprentice. They're both learning under an established Sith Lord, and I believe they both use the word "master". Mentoring a fallen Jedi would be a badge of honor for a Sith, showing that they had the guile to turn someone.

A Sith can have more than one apprentice at a time. There's a short span of time where the Inquisitor has a few, right after she defeats Zash.

Edited by Dracofish

That's where our opinions differ. If Ashara isn't a "true" apprentice, then neither is Jaesa. Just because they didn't go through the Academy, that doesn't make them any less of an apprentice. They're both learning under an established Sith Lord, and I believe they both use the word "master". Mentoring a fallen Jedi would be a badge of honor for a Sith, showing that they had the guile to turn someone.

A Sith can have more than one apprentice at a time. There's a short span of time where the Inquisitor has a few, right after she defeats Zash.

According to Zash its more prestigious to get some random person that managed to not die while training on Korriban as an apprentice then it is to tempt a jedi over to the Empire and make them your apprentice. Then again, maybe she was just messing with us as petty revenge thanks to not being allowed to twist our head off in revenge.