Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

May Star Wars be forever in your Favor!

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
May Star Wars be forever in your Favor!

CKNORTH
10.05.2017 , 12:06 AM | #1
Just getting Excited to see bug fixes and group content, and a Ty to BW/EA for switching gears on it. I really do hope to see a lot of people return to the game, as well a ton of new blood to teach how the ropes go. anyhow this will be a Christmas to remember for the all the PvP and Ops players. I would love to get into some of the OP's myself sometime in the future. even though it was getting a tad hunger games for group people. here is to you the people who still play and kept the long dream alive!

So Happy to see this game start a new Saga in its stage of life! Merry Star Wars everyone! even though Dec. is a few months away it seems like we got Christmas early!
Pre-Order Knight of the Republic

Don't use this Link it's Borked,
Oh Wait! they UnBorked the link! you must Choose, but Choose Wisely!

Diefenbaker
10.05.2017 , 06:15 AM | #2
1 OPs per year. A few crappy FPs full of reused assets.

Nothing new. Nothing original. No, instead they're worried that a server name might hurt someone's feelings. What a bunch of sissies.

This game is no longer Star Wars. This is on the level of the 3rd book in the Aftermath trilogy, where Chuck Wendig showed that he's really a totally **** writer and can't finish a story without turning it into a moronic soap opera.

The entire pack of single player "expansions" was one gigantic soap opera written by complete hacks. One would think Wendig or Scalzi direct the writing into the abyss of fake scifi.

Come on Disney, pull the plug. Give this pile of rubbish a good mercy killing.
“A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition”

"Paranoia is the byproduct of being consistently right."

TheRobDaCool
10.05.2017 , 06:24 AM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by Diefenbaker View Post
No, instead they're worried that a server name might hurt someone's feelings. What a bunch of sissies.
They sure caved in awful fast, huh? Was the name that bad? Did it scare people?

I mean you didn't see the parents who named their kid Dovahkiin run and change it when they found out a subscription to ESO wasn't part of the deal.
This is my Referral Link there are many like it, but this one is mine!

Suzsi
10.05.2017 , 06:36 AM | #4

Nothing new. Nothing original. No, instead they're worried that a server name might hurt someone's feelings. What a bunch of sissies.

This game is no longer Star Wars. This is on the level of the 3rd book in the Aftermath trilogy, where Chuck Wendig showed that he's really a totally **** writer and can't finish a story without turning it into a moronic soap opera.

The entire pack of single player "expansions" was one gigantic soap opera written by complete hacks. One would think Wendig or Scalzi direct the writing into the abyss of fake scifi.

Come on Disney, pull the plug. Give this pile of rubbish a good mercy killing.
No ones making you stay. Why pull the plug on those still enjoying the game just because you arent? In case you missed the memo Star Wars was indeed a space opera -- George Lucas himself even said as much. Maybe its star wars thats not for you...

SolarSaenz
10.05.2017 , 07:17 AM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by CKNORTH View Post
Just getting Excited to see bug fixes and group content, and a Ty to BW/EA for switching gears on it. I really do hope to see a lot of people return to the game, as well a ton of new blood to teach how the ropes go. anyhow this will be a Christmas to remember for the all the PvP and Ops players. I would love to get into some of the OP's myself sometime in the future. even though it was getting a tad hunger games for group people. here is to you the people who still play and kept the long dream alive!

So Happy to see this game start a new Saga in its stage of life! Merry Star Wars everyone! even though Dec. is a few months away it seems like we got Christmas early!
I'm sorry to rain on your parade. This is just meant to be a reality check, not a "How dare you like the game!!" post. Really.
And, just to give some context, I do like the game. Otherwise, why would I keep a subscription and still play ?

The roadmap honestly was not all that much to get excited about.
Asking me to get excited about this roadmap would be like for my manager to ask me to get excited about a .25% (one fourth of a percent) increase in salary raise, even though the raise came no where close to covering the rate of inflation.

I know it got buried underneath tons of other posts, but my reaction to the roadmap is that it's "just okay." and that there's nothing I dislike or hate about the roadmap. but, as one person said, I've never seen so many words used to describe so little.

It seems to be mostly focused on quality of life (QoL) things with server merges taking front and center stage.
To me server mergers is just BW/EA openly and brazenly admitting that the game is suffering from a population drop. There is no hiding it. It's all out in the open. That's sad for me because I remember a time when the game had multiple instances of over 100 characters on each instance. And, that's when server populations were more or less healthy instead of mostly "light" .

As for the rest of the QoL improvements, those are nice and welcome. I will admit that.
However, I am concerned that the developers are prioritizing QoL over actual content.

Okay, so Galactic Star Fighter is getting some love. Fair enough and warranted. GSF hasn't gotten any love since its introduction I think. But, other than getting a new map, I don't know what else is being done. I personally never liked GSF, even though several times, I've tried to get into it and wanted to like it. I just don't like GSF. GSF falls flat for me and isn't enjoyable. Sorry. I'm willing to give it a fair chance after its update. I hope I'll be pleasantly surprised, but we will just have to wait and see.

We get a new PVP map. Good.

We get a new FP. Okay, if it's as lackluster and lukewarm as the Crisis on Umbarra, I don't want it. I don't want trash like quality for a Flash Point. Now, if it's quality like Battle of Ilum or False Emperor, then great! I can't wait for it.

Honestly, I find it hard to think that people will come back en mass because of 1 GFS map, 1 PVP map, 1 FP, server merges, and some QoL changes. A few may come back. Some people came back when the huge CXP for dailies "bug" was implemented. But, I'm not expecting a huge increase in population.

Now, it could be that Keith and his team had to make a decision: focus on content now or lay the foundation for good stuff next year with server merges and QoL improvements and then focus on content later. That might have very well been the case.
But, this message from BW/Ea about "Hang in there. Good, vague things are coming at some unspecified date" is getting kind of old, and I'm tired of hearing it. Seeing QoL improvements prioritized over actual content makes me think that will be the growing trend until we're getting next to no content and just bug fixes/QoL stuff and then maintenance mode comes out.

You may say "Well then, doomsayer, just leave now and don't give BW/Ea any more of your money with that attitude."
I like the game for the 1.x-3x. content. The only reason I'll cancel at this point is due to financial reasons, which if that occurs, it will be just a temporary thing, like I have to cancel for 2 months and then come back.

I do like this game. I want BW/Ea to "Make SWTOR great again". I think Keith genuinely wants to improve this game. I just think it is a big uphill battle. I'm rooting for Keith though. He's made some good decisions during his few months as lead producer. I have some confidence in him.

xordevoreaux
10.05.2017 , 07:19 AM | #6

Nothing new. Nothing original. No, instead they're worried that a server name might hurt someone's feelings. What a bunch of sissies..
Then count me among the sissies, and have a nice day.
Referral Link: http://www.swtor.com/r/F4XbCd
In English, a leading X on a word is pronounced like a Z. (zorDEVoro).

Quraswren
10.05.2017 , 07:26 AM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by SolarSaenz View Post
SNIP...
The roadmap honestly was not all that much to get excited about.

SNIP...
Thats pretty much where I landed as well.
Server mergers are nice and a few QoL features are good but the rest is lackluster.

I learned bioware didn't really focus on group content as they said givne they couldn't be bothered to complete the OPS in 12 months time. Only 3 out of 5 bosses. Thats some pitiful development.

I learned bioware seems to be keeping to the story element and while thats fine. It hasn't been their strong area in years. While the FP is good to have, if it's designed anything like Umbara with just how many times can they design a stun, knockdown or pushback then the new FP wont be worth running either because it just wont be fun or entertaining no matter how they lock out or limit the new currency for augments. I expect it to be a disappoint hurdle I know that. Just like umbara was with that hidden cap.

GSF and warzone maps were needed very much but in the end, they will be in a rotation and you may or may not get them much. Lets hope bioware has the foresight to give them more weight in the RNG for what pops.

And thats it. It would have been hard for bioware to do less than this and still claim they are working.
Current subscriber: Refer code: http://www.swtor.com/r/t4QfLH
What you get: http://www.swtor.com/info/friends

TUXs
10.05.2017 , 08:00 AM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by CKNORTH View Post

Likewise. I too am excited. I know it has been slow and this year has sucked, but the payoff is coming. Keith had a LOT to fix...this is a small, but HUGE, step in the right direction.

For 2 years Ben ran this game into the ground...Keith is working with a minimum budget, reduced staff and doing nothing but crawling out of the hole Ben created for him. I wish it could have been a million times faster myself, but it isn't...but it is the right direction (finally!!!).
All warfare is based on deception • If his forces are united, separate them • If you are far from the enemy, make him believe you are near • A leader leads by example not by force
My referral code: here What you get: here (1 FREE transfer • 7-day FREE sub • FREE Jumpstart and Preferred Bundles)

SolarSaenz
10.05.2017 , 08:10 AM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Quraswren View Post

I learned bioware didn't really focus on group content as they said givne they couldn't be bothered to complete the OPS in 12 months time. Only 3 out of 5 bosses. Thats some pitiful development.
I see this as a lack of resources for SWTOR. What? Do they have like 1 part time high level designer and 1 part time coder working on the game? Remember (for those who were around) 2.4 released 2 FULL operations, a daily area on a new planet/moon AND the story that was the conclusion to a side story that started in Vanilla. Lack of resources, and to be fair, that's not Keith's fault. He can only work with what he's given. And it looks like he hasn't been give much. I described Keith in his role of lead producer as given the task of mowing a 40 acre lawn with a little, hand push mower.

I learned bioware seems to be keeping to the story element and while thats fine. It hasn't been their strong area in years.
I don't remember where I "heard" this, but I "heard" Timothy Zhan was going to help write at least some of the story moving forward. I don't remember the source of that, and I don't know if it's true or not. But, if it is true, that is a good sign.
[/QUOTE]

And thats it. It would have been hard for bioware to do less than this and still claim they are working.
To be fair, I think that server merges is a huge undertaking, and it's probably an "all hands on deck" situation.

We can debate about whether server merges were really that necessary, but it's being done. To implement server merges likely requires a lot of attention both high level and technical.

This is why I think Keith and team may have decided to take an approach of "let's lay the foundation right now for content to come later on, and after the foundation is done, we can start working on the stuff people really want". I hope that is what happened.

TUXs
10.05.2017 , 09:03 AM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by SolarSaenz View Post
I don't remember where I "heard" this, but I "heard" Timothy Zhan was going to help write at least some of the story moving forward. I don't remember the source of that, and I don't know if it's true or not. But, if it is true, that is a good sign.
Wait wut?! Is this true?

I do NOT play MMOs for story at all...but this would change everything. Timothy Zahn is a freaking legend imo...the best writer of Star Wars stories by FAR...there are other great ones, I don't mean to discount the other great writers, but nobody comes close to Zahn imo.
All warfare is based on deception • If his forces are united, separate them • If you are far from the enemy, make him believe you are near • A leader leads by example not by force
My referral code: here What you get: here (1 FREE transfer • 7-day FREE sub • FREE Jumpstart and Preferred Bundles)