Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Hot Prospect Name Concerns

First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

CaptRogue
10.05.2017 , 12:15 PM | #221
Quote: Originally Posted by Thruine View Post
The sexual slang people are alluding to is this frozen pastry that you heat up in 5 or 6 minutes. Honestly, I have no idea so think people just made something up to be offended by. Unless you hate your cheese melted on your ham but then I've always picked perperonni. Oops, did I just cuss?!

What about cheese melted on Philly Steak?? Had that for lunch...Was delicious!
Interested in 7 FREE days added to your account, plus a FREE Server Transfer & a CM box of unlocks? Follow this LINK!!

Phenglei
10.05.2017 , 12:34 PM | #222
Quote: Originally Posted by TUXs View Post
Oh come on, that was the "excuse" to get it changed...not the true reason.
Quote: Originally Posted by AscendingSky View Post
Yeah, I agree... Musco and the devs were all "Hue hue, what a funny joke" but then people didn't find the joke funny and instead mocked both the server name and Musco/the devs for naming it something so dumb. They pointed out how the name sounded like a strip club instead of a server, speculated on whether naming the server Harbinger was being merged into the 'Hot Prospect' was a critique on the culture of that server (considering the fact the ship with that name in the EU was something of a junker), gave the server nicknames (I personally kept thinking of it and referring to it as 'Hot Pocket'), all that. No one was all that 'offended', from what I saw. Cringing at the juvenile humor of it all, sure, but that's it.

If anything, Musco or the devs might have had their pride and feelings bruised some that other people didn't think their joke (which it obviously was) was as hilarious as they did. Musco flat out said in the livestream yesterday that he pushed for the server to be named that because he thought it was funny, not for it being srs bznz Star Wars lore.
I also think that this is what happened.

All these complaints on the boards about "snowflakes" and "PC Police" make me wish that the developers had just come out and admitted the real reason they were changing the name.

Come on. This has nothing to do with people with being offended. They're changing it because they realized that it really is a dumb name, and as Star Wars lore, it was just too obscure a reference to work.

As I mentioned earlier, it's like when the writers on Star Trek : The Next Generation named the Klingon homeworld "Kling," and then changed it to "Qo'noS" (pronounced "Kronos") when they realized that "Kling" was a really silly sounding name.

The developers thought that "Hot Prospect" would be a good, funny name for a server, but it didn't work out the way they expected. Players were mocking the name, mocking the developers for it, calling the server "Hot Pocket," "Hot Potato," "Hot Topic," "Hot Prostitute," and many other things.

I think that the developers realized that (1) the name was going to quickly turn into a long-running joke, one that would wear very thin for the developers after a while, and (2) it was going to become very tiresome to try to explain to players over and over that "Hot Prospect" was the name of Zayne Carrick's ship.

It just wasn't going to work. So they changed it. But the developers would rather make it look like they're doing it to be sensitive to the player community than admit that it was just a really bad name. So, here we are.
"What I mean is ... Yes, they are blue berries, but they're not necessarily blueberries. Because while all blueberries are blue berries, not all blue berries are blueberries. You see?"

RandyL
10.05.2017 , 01:04 PM | #223
Sorry Eric, but Hot Prospect was a pretty bad name. Satele Shan also seems like an odd choice, as does Darth Malgus, given that there's a sizable segment of the playerbase that wants nothing to do with "light side" or "dark side" characters.

Personally I would have held a contest for new server names since you're billing the server merges as new content rather than a need to consolidate because of plummeting populations. In any case, it's not really terribly consequential.

disposabletoon
10.05.2017 , 01:38 PM | #224
lol, Who's Zayne Carrick? Is that a new companion?

I can't even believe this was an issue. And how do you expect devs to protect you from trolls? The MMO community consists almost entirely of trolls. If they started sanctioning/banning people for being jerks, they would lose a ton of customers.

As much as they might want to shield the special snowflakes, it's probably not feasible. They could restrict stronghold chat from the planets they're on, and maybe add features in chat for role-players, but that just sends parts of the community further into exile... which is counter the whole MMO spirit, right?

RagnarAugustus
10.05.2017 , 01:48 PM | #225
Quote: Originally Posted by EricMusco View Post
Hey folks,

We have made the decision to rename The Hot Prospect server to Satele Shan. Since we announced the new server names, we have received some concerns from people regarding the name The Hot Prospect. Specifically, that phrase could be taken in slang terms to be derogatory towards certain individuals. We take this very seriously as we would never want to create a situation where someone is made uncomfortable by something such as a server name.

We will be updating all of our communications (such as the FAQ and blog) to reflect the new name in the coming days. Thank you for your understanding.

-eric
Eric as much as I dislike the name "Hot Prospect" and wanted it changed, this specific reason for the change makes me want to start a petition to change the name back to Hot Prospect. Stop enabling the people who are constantly searching for reasons to be offended by absolutely everything. If you just said "Upon reflection we've decided to change the name from hot Prospect to something more immediately Star Wars sounding I would have been "heck yeah, Satele Shan here I come!". Messaging is a very important communication skill.

RagnarAugustus
10.05.2017 , 01:54 PM | #226
Quote: Originally Posted by ThomasStarWars View Post
Remember when they said they would think about the RP'ers prior to there ever being merges? What happened to that?
Reality happened when they looked at financial costs associated with maintaining separate barely populated RP servers vs putting them with other players.

Verain
10.05.2017 , 01:59 PM | #227
Quote: Originally Posted by RagnarAugustus View Post
Reality happened when they looked at financial costs associated with maintaining separate barely populated RP servers vs putting them with other players.
I think they prioritized ping and main play times, because you can make a really solid case for either of those being many player's prime determination of server. If you took a vote between "merge both RP servers into a timezone that is less convenient for me" and "merge both RP servers into a megaserver in their timezone" I'm not sure which one would win, but I know that the safer bet would be the one that doesn't mess with timezones and pings as much.
"The most despicable person on the GSF forum."

Nmyownworld
10.05.2017 , 02:38 PM | #228
Quote: Originally Posted by EricMusco View Post
We have made the decision to rename The Hot Prospect server to Satele Shan. Since we announced the new server names, we have received some concerns from people regarding the name The Hot Prospect. Specifically, that phrase could be taken in slang terms to be derogatory towards certain individuals.
Oh, please. This is a deflection. You have an outfit in game called "Slave Girl." Changing the name of the server isn't about people being offended. It's about devs not wanting to continually be mocked about the name "Hot Prospect."

denavin
10.05.2017 , 05:14 PM | #229
Quote: Originally Posted by DarkLadyKeres View Post
...snip
Im pretty sure Harbinger can be seen as derogatory to a certain fictional alien race of sentient machines...
That would only be One of an Alien Race of Sentient AI Machines Bent on the Destruction of All Advanced Chaotic Organic Life in the Universe, in the name of ORDER. All the others were just called Reapers.... Only ONE had a named.

"We are The Harbinger of your Destruction"
HK-55: "Do you think she passed her test?"
Z0-OM: "According to my sensors.... NO
."

Phenglei
10.05.2017 , 05:29 PM | #230
Over the past couple of days, I have noticed players (here, in the game's chat channels, and on other boards) casually referring to the Hot Prospect server using nicknames like "Hot Pocket," including in conversations that have nothing whatever to do with how lame the name was.

"If you're into decorating Strongholds in themes, you might want to buy up at least the cheaper Strongholds, like the capital world apartments, on different servers before the merge. That way, when they get merged into Star Forge and Hot Pocket, you'll have multiple apartments to decorate in different ways."

"Most of my characters are on Shadowlands and Ebon Hawk, so I'll be on Star Forge most of the time. But I'll probably create a few more characters on Hot Pocket just to give it a try."

"So it looks like they'll be increasing the maximum number of character slots per server. Does anybody know how much? I'm not so much worried about Hot Topic, but I could wind up with like 110 characters on Star Forge."

"Well, if that doesn't pan out, you could always just forget about Hot Potato and switch your mains over to Star Forge."

And on and on and on ...

It honestly looked to me like the server was, for all practical purposes, going to be permanently renamed "Hot Pocket," mostly, and a few other names here and there. I think that very few players would ever refer to it by its intended name, "Hot Prospect."

Maybe the developers saw the same, and maybe they didn't. But I still agree with the people who are saying that the "We don't want to offend our players" line is just an excuse, a deflection. I think the real reason they're changing the name was because they just didn't want to deal with the inevitable constant jokes and mockery over the name.
"What I mean is ... Yes, they are blue berries, but they're not necessarily blueberries. Because while all blueberries are blue berries, not all blue berries are blueberries. You see?"