Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

BW Does not care about solo/story players?!?!

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
BW Does not care about solo/story players?!?!

Tsillah
10.05.2017 , 03:20 PM | #101
Quote: Originally Posted by DieAlteHexe View Post
Just about finished doing this. It had been years since I did all the original stories. Have to disagree, I've had a lot of fun re-doing the stories.

I don't know if they have the staff to bring out new content like those original stories or the budget, no idea but I would love to see more like it. KoTFE etc. was okay but I'm not crazy about being funneled down as we were.
Knights of the Failed Experiment and Extended Trauma were also not my favourite.

Redoing a couple of the original stories while making sure I do not get overleveled has proven the most story fun I've had in a while in this game. The stories are just more fun to me when enemies don't die the moment you fart in their general direction....as it were.

Just the main story bosses could use a bit more oomph really. They are just champion mobs that don't really feel like the powerful enemies they are supposed to be.

The Agent story was great to repeat. Ok being able to beat Jadus in a fight, forcefield or not, was a definite weak moment but the rest is good enough to make up for that unfortunate writing error. A writer can be forgiven for an occasional lapse of reason.
Don't freak out, I'm just here by the grace of a referal. Nothing more.

DieAlteHexe
10.05.2017 , 03:25 PM | #102
Quote: Originally Posted by Tsillah View Post
Knights of the Failed Experiment and Extended Trauma were also not my favourite.

Redoing a couple of the original stories while making sure I do not get overleveled has proven the most story fun I've had in a while in this game. The stories are just more fun to me when enemies don't die the moment you fart in their general direction....as it were.

Just the main story bosses could use a bit more oomph really. They are just champion mobs that don't really feel like the powerful enemies they are supposed to be.

The Agent story was great to repeat. Ok being able to beat Jadus in a fight, forcefield or not, was a definite weak moment but the rest is good enough to make up for that unfortunate writing error. A writer can be forgiven for an occasional lapse of reason.
I appreciated the ease this time 'round. Having already paid my dues, so to speak, years back it was nice to be able to basically breeze through. Now as to how that would feel for a new player, that would depend upon what level of challenge they wanted. If they were after a challenge then the changes would certainly disappoint.
---------------------------------------------------------------

-- It's the journey, not the destination. --

Tsillah
10.05.2017 , 03:28 PM | #103
I appreciated the ease this time 'round. Having already paid my dues, so to speak, years back it was nice to be able to basically breeze through. Now as to how that would feel for a new player, that would depend upon what level of challenge they wanted. If they were after a challenge then the changes would certainly disappoint.
I don't know what motivates people but I find that if something's too easy it doesn't really have much value for me. I suppose if I get into a story, the ease of killing of powerful enemies is like reading a book where the last chapter is just one page with a few lines saying that you knock him over the head and he died. The end.

It's just not satisfying to me.

But to each their own.

orangenee
10.05.2017 , 03:30 PM | #104
As a newish player the only thing that caused me any level of problems was the two Jedi fight on Tatooine, sans companion. A quick L2P adjustment and that was sorted.

The only thing that halts progress 10 toons later is those pesky bugs.
SWTOR Referral link: http://www.swtor.com/r/Kqsyhb #FreeMalgus #MarrReborn

DieAlteHexe
10.05.2017 , 03:32 PM | #105
I don't know what motivates people but I find that if something's too easy it doesn't really have much value for me. I suppose if I get into a story, the ease of killing of powerful enemies is like reading a book where the last chapter is just one page with a few lines saying that you knock him over the head and he died. The end.

But to each their own.
Absolutely agree with respect to "first time 'round". I wouldn't have liked it as much but for the second (and sometimes more) time, I'm happy to have it easier.

Then again, life offers me so damn many challenges, I kind of enjoy being all über and stuff during my gaming time.
---------------------------------------------------------------

-- It's the journey, not the destination. --

Ciarayn
10.05.2017 , 08:07 PM | #106
Quote: Originally Posted by Khaleijo View Post
Just out of curiosity, what did the players preferring story and solo content do before 4.0/5.0, once they were done with the expansion story? Played RotH one time as a Rep and as an Imp, did SoR once? Stopped playing or replayed what was there?

Back then there was one bigger chunk of story with the expansion release and the rest until the next expansion was the same "5 min" little pieces of the introduction of either new daily areas, like Section X, Czerka and to a degree Oricon (as there it was the introduction of the two Ops), events or FPs and Ops?
Ziost is the only exception being a bigger addition story wise, while on the other hand it was at the same time introducing the daily area and the one boss raid too. So not stand alone for only one niche either.
Czerka story is essentially the little conversation at the fleet, doing dailys and the FPs one time and then another conversation at the fleet. Same for Sec X, though with HK there is something one could sort it into the story category but with FPs needed (befor the solo mode) and the searching being easier in groups it also was a group activity.

From 1.0 to the 3.0 cycle the story coming with patches was never stand alone, it was always also an introducing element for new activities like daily areas, events, FPs and ops, Strongholds and so on. It was always a mix.
So why is going back to this mixed and as such more balanced approach to all activities this bad and such a surprise? Or are those who yell for story like that all new players since 4.0 and don't remember the way content was released before?

The quality of the content or if you like it or not, is a whole other discussion and that there is not enough new coming on all fronts is something we all know. Though with the limited resources a mix with something for everyone is way better than waiting months and years for new stuff for your specific niche.
At least in my opinion, but after all I dabble in all activities in-game even the occasional WZ once every few months, except for Uprisings, I just don't do them.
Yes, I came back to the game when they were advertising that they were doing lots of story content. I had played a bit near the start but left because there was something about the gameplay I didn't like at the time (I can't remember what now). I played gw2 for a while, and then when gw2 had a long content drought, I saw that swtor was focusing on story and so came back. I was enjoying it until they decided to ditch doing story content. Now, idk, probably back to gw2. However, I would prefer to get swtor story content, so that is why I have been posting.

ImmortalLowlife
10.05.2017 , 08:38 PM | #107

But to each their own.
It took me over a year back at launch to get my 1st character to 50. (Literally... RotHC had just released) I had to get help to finish several of the class mission fights. Now.... all these years, holocrons, high influenced healing companions, and XP boosting armor set later.... it still takes me about a month/ month 1/2. I for one am glad that it's easier. For me it makes the game feel like I'm actually the bad *** everyone says I am. It Makes me step outside my "character class comfort Zone" & try AC's I typically wouldn't play. When I want a challenge...I go outside and try NOT to click on some idiot talking sideways.

But that's just me. I still use cheat codes, god mods, and play most games on "easy".
"There is no Light Side...There is no Dark Side...there is only The Force..."

And you already know...Click HERE for free stuff!!!

jstankaroslo
10.06.2017 , 01:25 AM | #108
Quote: Originally Posted by orangenee View Post
As a newish player the only thing that caused me any level of problems was the two Jedi fight on Tatooine, sans companion. A quick L2P adjustment and that was sorted.

The only thing that halts progress 10 toons later is those pesky bugs.
back in 2012 I got to this battle 2 levels below mission level. On marauder. Had to level up to beat it.
This "too easy" content is tied with level sync. Now we can't over-level hard content to finish it, so they made it easier so that even a bad player can beat everything.
But, IMO they made it too easy, they went too far.

Final Bosses (Baras, Vitiate etc) are too weak. The final showdown, which we're looking to through all our journey ("finally I'll kick this fat *****") is a joke.
Supposedly tough battles, like Lord Praven in JK story or final fight on Tats in Smuggler story -end up so quickly that we're left dissatisfied -where is that hardship our heroes were supposed to conquer? This is piece of cake, not some worthy achievement. They won't let me into Sovengard for this!

Also leveling on starter planets -kill 2 flesh riders and u're 2 levels up. Doesn't feel like I earned this...

All of us have different preferences of course, but I'm thinking about new players here. Will they stay in the game if the gameplay without any danger of dying (and dying isn't an issue in MMO -you just respawn) -will make them bored? Will they try out another story? Part of the motivation after all is: I wonder how strong my gunslinger will be compared to my marauder? Now we're strong no matter what.
Also -this killed the need for crafting below level 70. It was really something to run in blue or purple gear and feel so much tougher than in green gear. It made me seek mats, seek schematics, craft for alts. Now we kill everything in seconds and gear does not matter.

digression
The only time I had game-play fun (not story fun) after 4.0 is when I got to Alderaan 5 levels below content and just couldn't hit mobs. It was not low damage issue, but a "miss" all the time. 4 levels below content I missed half my attacks and game was cool once again. Had to sneak, try to go past mobs undetected or use all defensive tools I had to survive if detected. Somehow I (sadly) quickly leveled up and fights became tedious again. But that just me, I digress.
/digression

Again: for me personally new story content is meh. Because the story is meh, and fights are awful.
Old content has great story, but they made fights meh. So if it was up to me, I'd come up with an OPTION to make vanilla gameplay a bit more hard than it is now.
OPTION, because some of us would want it easier, while some others would like it harder. I'd very much prefer BW spend their scarce resources on this instead of trying to come up with next 5 minutes of meh story.

ivanhedgehog
10.06.2017 , 09:17 AM | #109

But to each their own.
beginning story isnt supposed to be difficult. It is not at all hard to increase your own difficulty in this game. be responsible for your own experience if you so much want higher difficulty.

Tsillah
10.06.2017 , 09:59 AM | #110
Quote: Originally Posted by ivanhedgehog View Post
beginning story isnt supposed to be difficult. It is not at all hard to increase your own difficulty in this game. be responsible for your own experience if you so much want higher difficulty.
I suppose people these days do not understand words like nuance and gradation anymore. The short version is that if you say you want something to be less white, you are not asking for it to be black.

Aside from that, my view is that it is good to have a little challenge. As I explained I liked the experience much better now that I make sure that my character stays on level. That works for 99% of the content but I find the boss fights still extremely underwhelming.

Of course you guys make the assumption then that I want to make it more difficult for everyone. This is a false assumption. The good thing is that these story bosses are mostly, if not all, instanced. So my only change that I would suggest is a HM version of a list of instanced story bosses with the choice for people to turn that on or off. Defaulted to off of course.

I really don't think it's right that I have to send my companion away or set them to passive AND strip down naked to get challenge out of a Dark Council member. Sorry, that goes too far for me.

I do understand that some people like to roflstomp everything. I do not share that view but I get that some people like that. But my solution won't hurt the roflstompers. For the rest nerfing classes and me making sure I'm never overleveled are enough.

Also my definition of the beginning story is the starter planet. Not the level 1-50 story.