Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Clarification on Name-Collisions Algorithm

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Clarification on Name-Collisions Algorithm

Joonbeams
10.03.2017 , 10:45 AM | #1
Eric,

As I understand it, concerning subscribers, name collisions will only occur where two subscribers have the same name on the merged server. In that situation, the "tie-breaker" is "amount of playtime". So my questions are:
  1. When does the subscriber "clock" start? - For example, if an F2P player has a colliding name, when would that player need to be subscribed by for that name to benefit from the subscriber protection?
  2. How is playtime determined? - I assume it's by character and not by total playtime (but please verify). But what else? When does that clock start? For example again, take the F2P above. Say they've logged 500hours on F2P toon, then subscribe and log 10 hours. Does that character have 510 hours of playtime or 10? And how far back does the playtime clock go? Is there a "weighting" (e.g. more recent play > more distant play time)?

There are a few more hypotheticals, but rather than lay those out now, I'll wait for answers on the above. Thanks!

Joonbeams
10.04.2017 , 10:29 AM | #2
Bump. Can we please get an answer on this?

Khartu
10.06.2017 , 12:12 PM | #3
They have said that they are not disclosing the full algorithm so that people will not attempt to game the system to secure names.

However, your questions are tempting in that the answers should be self-evident:

1. There should be no "clock" to start in terms of subscription status. A player would either be a subscriber or not at the moment the algorithm runs.

2. Playtime, if it is used, would be what is displayed when you execute the "/played" chat command on that character.

They could use many factors to determine who wins: total sub time, total dollars paid, etc., etc. They could weight them and assign a score to an account/character(name) combination. They've said they're not telling.