Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Which crew skill has the most personal use?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > New Player Help
Which crew skill has the most personal use?

sutasafaia's Avatar


sutasafaia
10.03.2017 , 08:16 AM | #1
I am not looking to make credits, there are tons of guides out there if I wanted to learn how to make credits. I am looking for which crew skill would be the best for helping my own character(s) along. I currently only have one character, my guess was either Biochem or Cybertech but I could easily be wrong, and I wanted to find out before I started to invest time/credits into this. With the crafting changes (I haven't played the game in a long time) I am also unsure which combo's to use now.

Is Cyber/Scav/UT or Bio/bio/diplomacy still the best way to go? I thought I read that slicing is now a lot more important to crafting so I was unsure of how to proceed.

Any advice is appreciated, figured I would ask while the server is down

orangenee's Avatar


orangenee
10.03.2017 , 08:51 AM | #2
My first toon has artifice, seemed a good fit for a SW. Crystals, hilts, lightsabers etc.

Biochem is a good choice for stims if you plan on endgame stuff/PvP.

Armormech is good for tanks as you can make the mods for said profession.

Armstech is good for heavy shooty classes as you can make barrels and damage related mods.

Cybertech is good for more specialised mods.

Sytnweaving is good for force related armour and some of the pieces are good for "space barbie"
SWTOR Referral link: http://www.swtor.com/r/Kqsyhb #FreeMalgus #MarrReborn

JediQuaker's Avatar


JediQuaker
10.03.2017 , 08:56 AM | #3
Given the current state of the game, I think Biochem may be your best bet.

It is easy to get mods, weapons, armor, etc, these days and because of level sync, having your mods up to level is much less important than it was. The last few characters I took through the game never used any crafted mods, etc. (I have crafters of each type.)
About the only non-bio things I craft any more are Relics (archaeology), earpieces (Cybertech) and Implants (Biochem) for my own characters.

But, they recently brought back re-usable health packs that require Biochem 600 to use, and are very very useful, especially when doing FPs with no healer.
And, of course, there's Stims, etc, as well.

So I would recommend Biochem, Bioanalysis, and Slicing. Slicing can get you lots of credits and some schematics, and can be used to operate elevators etc, in some FPs, etc. You can always buy Diplomacy items off the GTN.
________________________________________________
A sieve may not hold water, but it will hold another sieve.
Referral code - http://www.swtor.com/r/dZ8wSV

sutasafaia's Avatar


sutasafaia
10.03.2017 , 08:58 AM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by orangenee View Post
My first toon has artifice, seemed a good fit for a SW. Crystals, hilts, lightsabers etc.

Biochem is a good choice for stims if you plan on endgame stuff/PvP.

Armormech is good for tanks as you can make the mods for said profession.

Armstech is good for heavy shooty classes as you can make barrels and damage related mods.

Cybertech is good for more specialised mods.

Sytnweaving is good for force related armour and some of the pieces are good for "space barbie"
I'm planning to play an assassin tank, and be mostly solo (I haven't played in years, I want to see the whole story and xpac stuff)...

The way I was guessing was

biochem is good for making my own meds and stims, but how useful are they really for soloing? Especially with a healer companion, plus only biochem can use the reusables so that doesnt help me if I want to make alts later on

Armormech makes armor...but I don't need armor since I have all orange gear. Armormech makes armor mods, but cybertech makes augments and enhancements, so 2 > 1?

Cybertech makes mounts (meh) space gear (does it even make the best space gear? vendor stuff is better isnt it?) and two parts for my orange gear

Armstech is useless for assassin

And synth is just cool for crystals and dye, but otherwise not going to make me useful gear?

Am I too far off the mark? Like I said, I haven't played in a long time. I just want to craft something but don't want to pick something that won't help me out

JediQuaker's Avatar


JediQuaker
10.03.2017 , 09:09 AM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by sutasafaia View Post
And synth is just cool for crystals and dye, but otherwise not going to make me useful gear?
Artifice is used for crystals and dyes (and relics and hilts)
Sythweaving would be useful for you as it can be used to make Defensive augments (plus alacrity and critical). Armormech and Armstech can also make augments.
________________________________________________
A sieve may not hold water, but it will hold another sieve.
Referral code - http://www.swtor.com/r/dZ8wSV

sutasafaia's Avatar


sutasafaia
10.03.2017 , 09:12 AM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by JediQuaker View Post
Artifice is used for crystals and dyes (and relics and hilts)
Sythweaving would be useful for you as it can be used to make Defensive augments (plus alacrity and critical). Armormech and Armstech can also make augments.
Somehow managed to forget artifice was even a thing :P

If I decide to go biochem, would you recommend diplomacy or slicing as the third spot?

orangenee's Avatar


orangenee
10.03.2017 , 01:30 PM | #7
Diplomacy. Slicing won't get you parts to make anything to start with. Slicing parts are more for the schematics you can get from reverse engineering.

Slicing you will need parts from to make augments but you won't need augments until you move into endgame equipment, if you aren't planning on doing endgame then you won't need augments at all really.

Outside of lightsaber crystals you level too fast to make anything prior to rank 400 (with the exception of bronze crafted items) mostly useless. Heroics chuck enough high grade gear at you anyway, flashpoints will usually give you a decent weapon if you aren't interested in modding the freebie moddable weapon you get in the class stories.

This is from a point of view of not making credits though.
SWTOR Referral link: http://www.swtor.com/r/Kqsyhb #FreeMalgus #MarrReborn

BenduKundalini's Avatar


BenduKundalini
10.03.2017 , 06:45 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by JediQuaker View Post
But, they recently brought back re-usable health packs that require Biochem 600 to use, and are very very useful, especially when doing FPs with no healer.
And, of course, there's Stims, etc, as well.
Really ???

As for me, I only gear my alts with heroics crates now, but something that very seldom lands is a mainhand weapon.

So depending on your class I'd choose Armstech, for pew-pew, or Artifice, for saber users. Artifice has the added benefit of relics, crystals and dyes. Armstech provides power, accuracy and IIRC alacrity augs, and versatile armorings.

sutasafaia's Avatar


sutasafaia
10.03.2017 , 09:18 PM | #9
I think at this point it's basically down to a couple for me...

Bio: Obviously for heals and stims. Also implants. I don't use adrenals too often. Honestly I don't use medpacs too often either but I'm not exactly doing difficult stuff right now...

Artifice: This just seems...fun. Not sure how useful it actually is since all crystals are equal, but at least I can make relics? And fun should count for something, right? Shiny crystals. Could actually use the hilts too on my assassin.

Cyber: Mods, Enhancements, ear pieces, ship parts...so many things that I wouldn't have to worry about buying

Doubt I'll do the other three, so at least that narrows it down to half? Not sure what to do T_T

mrwayn's Avatar


mrwayn
10.04.2017 , 02:34 AM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by sutasafaia View Post
I think at this point it's basically down to a couple for me...

Bio: Obviously for heals and stims. Also implants. I don't use adrenals too often. Honestly I don't use medpacs too often either but I'm not exactly doing difficult stuff right now...

Artifice: This just seems...fun. Not sure how useful it actually is since all crystals are equal, but at least I can make relics? And fun should count for something, right? Shiny crystals. Could actually use the hilts too on my assassin.

Cyber: Mods, Enhancements, ear pieces, ship parts...so many things that I wouldn't have to worry about buying

Doubt I'll do the other three, so at least that narrows it down to half? Not sure what to do T_T
When it comes to crafting for myself, I mainly need stims/medpacks/adrenals (bio) and augments/augmentation-kits. Since I mostly play dps/heals the augments I need are crit, alacrity (Synthw.) and accuracy (Armstech). If you play a tank, you'd need absorb and shield augments (armormech, I think). The process of augmenting gear can be pretty expensive and cutting down the cost by crafting them myself helps a lot.
Beeing able to craft mods, enhancments, hilts and barrels or relic/implants/earpieces sounds great, however I almost never bother with it. Lower tier gear (230-242) is very easy to get and I'm not gonna waste millions for a 246 hilt when a 242 hilt is almost as good and can be gained by running ev hm.
The only thing I craft when it comes to item modifications are 246 b-mods for our tanks (since they can only be crafted)

However, if you play mainly easy solo stuff (heroics, story, leveling...) you won't need any of that. If you don't really care about harder stuff which requires augments/stims .... you don't need to bother with crafting. Either chose something that can make you a profit on the gtn or simply take 3 gathering skills (scav, bio, slicing would be my suggestion) and sell the mats on the gtn.
You want free stuff? This is my referal link: http://www.swtor.com/r/CfpyNm