Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Please REFUND my Character RENAME Tokens

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Please REFUND my Character RENAME Tokens

Stellarcrusade
10.05.2017 , 10:26 AM | #21
Maybe the best solution would be that they add "Names created with a name-change-token prior to the date the roadmap was announced" as the highest priority above all others in the priority list of name collisions. I doubt there would be many cases where two names were purchased with a name-change-token the same name on two separate merged servers.

Aulus_Claudius
10.05.2017 , 10:48 AM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by Tsillah View Post
Actually the service you buy is the ability to change a name and not the right of maintaining a name.
As soon as I saw the OP, I made a bet with myself that there'd be a corporate shill defending this before I read to page 2. Not exactly defending, but I was close. At least you're not actually arguing that they're morally in the right here, and yes, technically they can legally take back the renames, but it's incredibly sleazy and customers will remember this if they go ahead with it. That is, those who don't leave because they lost their main character's identity in the merge.
Thanks for the gearing changes in 5.1 and 5.2, BioWare - resubbed.

Zerileth
10.05.2017 , 11:33 AM | #23
Ok, without reading the TOS word for word I'm sure it's just like any other company or mmorpg. They didn't charge you anything. You purchased the ability to change one of "their" character's names that you created. Yes "their." Remember, they (Bioware) own everything in the game: your characters, your armor, your mods, your achievements and yes, your credits. They own your cartel coins. You can't get them back except under extreme circumstances or if you can prove they did something illegal. You can't convert the coins back to RL money. I'm sure the TOS or the fine print says something like: "We reserve the right to change, delete, move, remove, kill, burn alive your characters at anytime during the operation of SWTOR MMORPG now and forever."
No annoying, begging, misguiding referral link here

Tsillah
10.05.2017 , 11:40 AM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by Aulus_Claudius View Post
As soon as I saw the OP, I made a bet with myself that there'd be a corporate shill defending this before I read to page 2. Not exactly defending, but I was close. At least you're not actually arguing that they're morally in the right here, and yes, technically they can legally take back the renames, but it's incredibly sleazy and customers will remember this if they go ahead with it. That is, those who don't leave because they lost their main character's identity in the merge.
Oh there are a lot of things that companies do that are legal but not exactly customer friendly or moral. I personally find the cartel packs immoral.

But I do want people to take their pink glasses off from time to time to realise what it actually is they're buying. You buy a name change, not a name. It may feel like the same, it may come down the same for you, but it isn't the same.

What I think the best way is to approach this is to first see if you lose any of your names. Chances are but wait and see first. Then put in a ticket for the names that you lost and that you used a name change for and see what happens.

However, I doubt there's much they will be willing to do. They may not put it as directly as I did, may even come up with a standard line, but legally, I really don't think people have a leg to stand on. That's just reality.
Don't freak out, I'm just here by the grace of a referal. Nothing more.

CaptRogue
10.05.2017 , 12:11 PM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by exfell View Post
This is a fair point. Where are all the ingame messages and popups telling people of the coming changes.
That is on you, the consumer, to be aware of changes that the Owners have posted. It's not like it's a hidden source. They have a twitter, FB, SWTOR.com, Twitch, etc... Not including the opening on the launcher they have messages on.
They don't need one more thing to waste time on trying to make sure people read stuff. If people aren't going to bother with the sources they already use, it's not going to change with an in game popup. It will be clicked off like the GMOTD.

Ahh, there we go. Took until page 3 for the real corporate shill to show up. Oh well, I'll have to guess better next time.
Feel better now??
The "corporate shill" as you put it has a valid point.
The OP is just whining, concerned he might lose his name. There is NO guarantee that he will lose his name. But he's starting opposition in fear of it.
As another poster stated the ones who are server transferring are now owed money back if they're going to do Rename Tokens.
But as stated on the CC TOS, All Sales are final. Make your choices wisely.
(BTW if a name is that much concern for your toon that you will quit playing, you have bigger issues that a name being changed. Counseling might help there.)
Interested in 7 FREE days added to your account, plus a FREE Server Transfer & a CM box of unlocks? Follow this LINK!!

Aulus_Claudius
10.05.2017 , 01:33 PM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by CaptRogue View Post
Feel better now??
Much, thank you.
Quote: Originally Posted by CaptRogue View Post
The "corporate shill" as you put it has a valid point.
The OP is just whining, concerned he might lose his name. There is NO guarantee that he will lose his name. But he's starting opposition in fear of it.
As another poster stated the ones who are server transferring are now owed money back if they're going to do Rename Tokens.
But as stated on the CC TOS, All Sales are final. Make your choices wisely.
(BTW if a name is that much concern for your toon that you will quit playing, you have bigger issues that a name being changed. Counseling might help there.)
When someone's acting like a corporate shill, I call them out. What do I mean? Taking the company's side when consumers are in arms about something where the company has the legal, but not the moral high ground. When what the company is doing is just plain sleazy or immoral, but no court will convict them of anything.

BW's statement about forced name changes and conditions under which they will occur is an admission in principle that they're willing to allow such forced changes to occur. The OP's concern is therefore very well-founded regardless of whether he personally ends up having to change a name. An affront against one is an affront against all so to speak. And for that position I can only applaud the OP for his selflessness and concern for consumers who stand to lose their characters' identities - characters into which they may well have poured hundreds of hours both in and out of game with back story, personality, etc, and crowned it all with the perfect name before it's all taken away from them.
Thanks for the gearing changes in 5.1 and 5.2, BioWare - resubbed.

Anzel
10.05.2017 , 01:36 PM | #27
Just seems super sleezy to me to ask for $10 to rename a character and then be like, "Oh by the way, we're merging servers for the fourth time in five years so you just lost that name that you paid for 3 or 4 times now. But hey, feel free to buy more tokens."

I would like to see these on sale at DEEPLY discounted prices.
ANZEL - Master Bounty Hunter - Corbantis Galaxy - 06/23/2003
ANZEL - Bounty Hunter / Mercenary - The Corbantis Legacy - 12/13/2011
ANZEL - SWG EMU - CORE 1 Developer - 06/2006

Zerileth
10.05.2017 , 03:53 PM | #28

When someone's acting like a corporate shill, I call them out. What do I mean? Taking the company's side when consumers are in arms about something where the company has the legal, but not the moral high ground. When what the company is doing is just plain sleazy or immoral, but no court will convict them of anything.

Where did you call me out? Do you even know what that means? I said nothing that wasn't the truth. You "call someone out" when they lie about something. I'm also not taking anybody's side. Just stating how companies work. If you don't like it, don't participate.

"Consumers are in arms?" One thread? 5 to 10 players. "In arms?" Are you 12? Bioware is trying to save the game so we can continue to play it for a few more years to come. But if you had your way, they should make the game completely free and refund all money spent so they "take the high ground." Have you ever owned anything? Worked in a job?

Again, they didn't charge the OP anything. They offered a name change for a fee. No bait and switch here. Seriously, you need to get out into the real world. The OP says himself a "potential name loss" or something like that. Potential. So let's call Bioware sleazy based on something that hasn't happened yet and may never happen.

Let's not do the server merger then so you and the OP can keep your names. The game ends in one year. OR... let's merge the servers and maybe the game goes on now for 5 years. But that's logic that you can't see beyond your little bubble.

I'm calling you out! And from the words of the great Willy Wonka: "Good Day Sir!"
No annoying, begging, misguiding referral link here

Resputin
10.06.2017 , 01:02 PM | #29
I semi agree. First thing they should do is take all rename tokens off the cartel market in case people still dont know about the mergers. Second I would say if anyone used a rename token in the past (insert time frame) they should get a refund.