Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Please REFUND my Character RENAME Tokens

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Please REFUND my Character RENAME Tokens

Foambreaker
10.03.2017 , 10:09 AM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by Anzel View Post
I totally agree with this. I understand *why* the cost is there but 1,000 Cartel Coins is punitive. Additionally, the token is consumed as soon as you make an attempt at changing the name, even if the name isn't available. It says, "...consumed on use" but is it "used" if the name you try isn't available?

I would be super happy if they discounted these to 90 CC for some time before and after the merge and then left them at a much lower cost afterwards. 250 CC is probably more in line with keeping people from constantly changing names.
Wrong, there is a limit in place for that purpose.

The cost is for making money.

kodrac
10.03.2017 , 10:11 AM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by Anzel View Post
The token shouldn't be "consumed" until the name is actually accepted.
It isn't. They've always been bound, btw.
One FREE character transfer -> CLICKY plus 7 days FREE -> FAQ

Foambreaker
10.03.2017 , 10:25 AM | #13
I knew this was coming in spike of Keith saying they wouldn't do it, but imagine how pissed off people who don't read the forums will be when they find out that a name change or a paid transfer is undone by a server merge.

BioFail should put a HUGE warning up so people don't get burned.

Anzel
10.03.2017 , 11:28 AM | #14
Just seems sleezy to take money from your customers for a "Name Change" service and then turn around and wipe out the name.

"Oh, you didn't read the fine print? You didn't scour the forums for that tidbit we posted? You're dumb. Learn to read idiot!!!!"

Gee... why is a game with the STAR WARS IP merging servers for the 4th time in 5 years???? Hmmmmm
ANZEL - Master Bounty Hunter - Corbantis Galaxy - 06/23/2003
ANZEL - Bounty Hunter / Mercenary - The Corbantis Legacy - 12/13/2011
ANZEL - SWG EMU - CORE 1 Developer - 06/2006

DarthPrimus
10.04.2017 , 11:25 PM | #15
Seems to me the simplest solution would just to be to make those who paid for a rename token and used it have the top priority on keeping a name. These people paid for that name in essence, didn't have it granted for free, so they should be at the top of the list for keeping said name. That's really the only fair way to handle this.

Personally, this issue probably isn't going to affect any of my characters, as I have a naming system that's pretty unique to me, but I definitely sympathize with the thousands it will affect, and hope Bioware can offer them a fair solution to this.
"A person who knows everything can never learn anything."

Referral link? Why yes, I have one of those right HERE for you.

SteveTheCynic
10.05.2017 , 02:29 AM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by DarthPrimus View Post
Seems to me the simplest solution would just to be to make those who paid for a rename token and used it have the top priority on keeping a name. These people paid for that name in essence, didn't have it granted for free, so they should be at the top of the list for keeping said name. That's really the only fair way to handle this.
No, it's not a fair way to handle it. Or it is. Depends on how long ago the person changed name, and on other things.

If I changed on the day after release, and not since, I'd say I've had way more than the benefit (having the other name) that I paid for, so no refund for me.

If I changed on the day before the announcement, it's a little different. Maybe. Not.

Why not? Well, I create a character on the same day as you (in 2013, say), but on different servers. That character is my main, and we both play the game for ages. That character you created isn't in any way your main, though. The day before the announcement, you bought a token and renamed your character to the same name as mine, but still on the other server. So your character has had that name for two months on M day and is a five-minutes-once-a-month character, and somehow you get priority over me for the name because of your token?

No. Just No.
http://www.swtor.com/r/Hg3sV2
Buda-buda-buda-buda-buda-buda-CHING!
PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW!
To go to Belsavis, you must go to Belsavis.

Rabenschwinge
10.05.2017 , 02:36 AM | #17
My suggestion:
Refund the cartel coins.

That is if, and only if:
a) The character in question has acquired its current name via a rename token from the cartel market.
b) Is forced to rename because there is a name collision with character that belongs to a different account and has a higher priority.

Criterion of demarcation:
a) Free rename tokens acquired for whatever reason do not count, only those bought from cartel coins.
b) Name collisions with your own characters on different servers do not count, as long as one of your characters does keep the name.
c) Obviously there is no refund if you do keep the name.

cyrusramsey
10.05.2017 , 02:45 AM | #18
I'm concerned about this too. I'm not too worried about most of my names, even though I have a fair amount of them, but two, yeah, two I'm afraid I might lose, and one of those was a rename that I got the very moment that the servers came back up after spaces were allowed in names.

I sat here waiting, having already tested whether the name worked on the PTS and bought my rename token before the downtime, and the moment the servers came back, I claimed my name..

The issue is, I have so many characters, that I all play, that I will never get the amount of /played time on a character that some people might get. Max level, sure, played operations and flashpoints, sure, but I can't get that sheer amount of /played time on any single character, and if I lost this name, well, I'd be terribly disappointed, but I'd have to go back to something like its previous name, before I bought that rename token.

Totemdancer
10.05.2017 , 03:23 AM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by xordevoreaux View Post
That's actually a valid point. You've spent real money maintaining a name, just to watch it evaporate.
Itís not much different from people who paid to transfer between servers. For example, transferring from Shadowlands to TEH last month and now finding out you could have waited and saved money isnít great.
I think they knew mergers were coming 6 months ago, but have kept it under raps till they had all the bells and whistles sorted out. But thatís had a very detrimental affect on people leaving and I can understand why some people would be angry theyve spent money for nothing.
They could have just said 3 months ago that they were planning on merging before the end of the year, as long as we can ensure all the concerns about them are metĒ.
That would have prepared people for it, they could have then made a decision on wether to rename or pay for transfers. Other people I know who specifically left because they had come to believe Bioware would never get around to merging would have stayed. Lots of those people I know, now plan to come back. But Bioware have lost 3-6 months worth of revenue from those subscriptions because they are too secretive with some things. I can understand being secretive about new content, but this was a QOL issue that was making people unsub.
I think itís right for people to ask for a refund of CC or free tokens for renames or server transfers.

exfell
10.05.2017 , 04:41 AM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by Foambreaker View Post
I knew this was coming in spike of Keith saying they wouldn't do it, but imagine how pissed off people who don't read the forums will be when they find out that a name change or a paid transfer is undone by a server merge.

BioFail should put a HUGE warning up so people don't get burned.
This is a fair point. Where are all the ingame messages and popups telling people of the coming changes.
Ref linky http://www.swtor.com/r/LCKynR
Quote: Originally Posted by CrazyCT View Post
Ah, 5 people demanding it and 5 people against it - Ladies and Gentlemen, I present "The Majority".