Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Please REFUND my Character RENAME Tokens

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Please REFUND my Character RENAME Tokens

Anzel
10.03.2017 , 07:18 AM | #1
So after charging players a ridiculous fee ($10) per character rename we are going to potentially LOSE those names? Guys, renaming a character literally takes a stored procedure 0.000000001 seconds of server time. This is an AUTOMATED process. You've made your $$$$$ back on the development cost many times over. Continuing to charge players an insane fee for a simple convenience is a TERRIBLE business practice. On top of that you are now putting players (unwillingly) in a position where they lose names that they PAID FOR?
ANZEL - Master Bounty Hunter - Corbantis Galaxy - 06/23/2003
ANZEL - Bounty Hunter / Mercenary - The Corbantis Legacy - 12/13/2011
ANZEL - SWG EMU - CORE 1 Developer - 06/2006

xordevoreaux
10.03.2017 , 07:25 AM | #2
That's actually a valid point. You've spent real money maintaining a name, just to watch it evaporate.
Referral Link: http://www.swtor.com/r/F4XbCd
In English, a leading X on a word is pronounced like a Z. (zorDEVoro).

ninjonxb
10.03.2017 , 08:18 AM | #3
Like most services that allow you to pay to change your name. (Most MMO's, Xbox Live, etc)
You are not really paying for the server resources required for this. The cost is there to discourage you from constantly changing your name for no reason.
For you to actually think about when you do it, since this is the name that others knows you as.
Sure Bioware is making money off of it, but discouraging people from constantly changing their name is also a good thing.

Anzel
10.03.2017 , 09:41 AM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by ninjonxb View Post
Like most services that allow you to pay to change your name. (Most MMO's, Xbox Live, etc)
You are not really paying for the server resources required for this. The cost is there to discourage you from constantly changing your name for no reason.
For you to actually think about when you do it, since this is the name that others knows you as.
Sure Bioware is making money off of it, but discouraging people from constantly changing their name is also a good thing.
I totally agree with this. I understand *why* the cost is there but 1,000 Cartel Coins is punitive. Additionally, the token is consumed as soon as you make an attempt at changing the name, even if the name isn't available. It says, "...consumed on use" but is it "used" if the name you try isn't available?

I would be super happy if they discounted these to 90 CC for some time before and after the merge and then left them at a much lower cost afterwards. 250 CC is probably more in line with keeping people from constantly changing names.

SolarSaenz
10.03.2017 , 09:43 AM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by Anzel View Post
So after charging players a ridiculous fee ($10) per character rename we are going to potentially LOSE those names? Guys, renaming a character literally takes a stored procedure 0.000000001 seconds of server time. This is an AUTOMATED process. You've made your $$$$$ back on the development cost many times over. Continuing to charge players an insane fee for a simple convenience is a TERRIBLE business practice. On top of that you are now putting players (unwillingly) in a position where they lose names that they PAID FOR?
I have to admit. the original poster (OP) has a good point.

AlaricSevGirl
10.03.2017 , 09:52 AM | #6
I agree with the OP, the price should be heavily discounted when there are server merges but alt characters work as does using a firstname'lastname. Unfortunately, people have been begging for server merges and BW is giving them what they want but I do see that they can drop the name change to 90cc when they do merges. People would be happy with that I think.
GSS Legacy, StarForged
Guild Leader for Galactic Security Solutions (Pub)
Imperial Independence (Empire)

kodrac
10.03.2017 , 09:52 AM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Anzel View Post
I totally agree with this. I understand *why* the cost is there but 1,000 Cartel Coins is punitive. Additionally, the token is consumed as soon as you make an attempt at changing the name, even if the name isn't available. It says, "...consumed on use" but is it "used" if the name you try isn't available?
Nope. If the name is taken it doesn't consume the token until you actually rename your character. I've done it myself.
One FREE character transfer -> CLICKY plus 7 days FREE -> FAQ

Anzel
10.03.2017 , 09:55 AM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by kodrac View Post
Nope. If the name is taken it doesn't consume the token until you actually rename your character. I've done it myself.
Except now that token is bound to that character forever. There is no way of getting it back and using it on another character. I have two characters where the little icon blinks forever because none of the names I ever try are available. The token shouldn't be "consumed" until the name is actually accepted.

Tsillah
10.03.2017 , 09:59 AM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by xordevoreaux View Post
That's actually a valid point. You've spent real money maintaining a name, just to watch it evaporate.
Actually the service you buy is the ability to change a name and not the right of maintaining a name.

However, names are a big deal for many people whether they spent money on it or not and when I remember the twin waves of server merges in 2012, I remember losing all my names except two of them. I also remember how much that hurt.

Right now, I'm not sure if I'll be able to keep at least these two now. That scares me more than anything. I recognize the need for these server merges, but I am rather afraid of losing either of those two names. I checked on the other servers involved. The names are taken there also. So even though I created these characters way at the beginning, I risk losing them after all. Also my legacy name is named after my main so that would create a secondary issue as well.

This is the one thing that I really worry about with regards to this roadmap.
Goodbye all, it's been fun. Time for me to move on (it's ok to cheer ).

Anzel
10.03.2017 , 10:09 AM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Tsillah View Post
Actually the service you buy is the ability to change a name and not the right of maintaining a name.

However, names are a big deal for many people whether they spent money on it or not and when I remember the twin waves of server merges in 2012, I remember losing all my names except two of them. I also remember how much that hurt.

Right now, I'm not sure if I'll be able to keep at least these two now. That scares me more than anything. I recognize the need for these server merges, but I am rather afraid of losing either of those two names. I checked on the other servers involved. The names are taken there also. So even though I created these characters way at the beginning, I risk losing them after all. Also my legacy name is named after my main so that would create a secondary issue as well.

This is the one thing that I really worry about with regards to this roadmap.
Man... I didn't even think of checking to see if my names were on the other servers. Now I'm all paranoid. I'm going to go check right now LOL.