Respawn timers/Instances on New Servers.....a recipe for disaster?

Nebdar

Hi i just want to point my concern about new Servers after the Merge.

1. Respawn timers

Imagine 2 or more times players trying to do Dromund Kass Heroic Possessed Hunter or Courscant Face Merchants... with current re spawn timers....Welcome to Armageddon:D Welcome to SWTOR Hell:(

We all know how much and long we begged for better re spawn timers or all open world heroics/dailies/missions to be instanced.

The re spawn timers of mobs, gathering nodes, objectives etc. if not properly tuned to "new" population situation is a recipe for disaster not to mention all of the angry people that will deliberately hate/farm some locations stealing/ninja the 'scare' resources so other people can't complete their objectives.

2. Instances

Will the game with 'larger' population will create more instances with more or less min/max players?

A second PVP instance?

or we are gonna to be 'forced' to play on as much crowded instance as possible?

What about change instance timer/penalty is it gonna be reduced if there gonna be much more instance?

Is there gonna by we a way to see how much people are in every instance so we can all make the 'right' choice when changing instance? or current wild guess hooping or asking general chat?

Grouping

While i know that that creating a group can solve or minimize the 'problem' but what about people that are in group finder queue? They can not be invited into group and they won't leave the queue because they fear they will loose their place in line..

I hope that you have plans for those concerns or at least you start to plan to address them after reading this or do we have to search for 'hidden' achievement:

"Possessed" - 60 minutes of trying to kill Possessed Hunter... without success (Reward Legacy Title: Very Angry Customer)

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I totally agree RE MOB spawn timers on some of these blasted heroics -- they are just not designed at all for larger populations.

There's a couple on the republic side also, the Irradiated Rakgouls on Taris -- you have to kill 5 and its an open zone with only 6 in total inside. A couple of groups in there already causes chaos imagine a couple more? :eek:

Balmorra there's another one where you have to kill 8 specific types of imps and there's only about 10 or 11 in the area.

I like low pop on purpose so I don't have to deal with these respawn issues -- not overly looking forward to being forced onto a higher pop server.

They should have kept one low pop or 2 for the casual PVE / Story soloers who really couldn't care less about high pops and in fact prefer lower pops so as not to have to contend with masses when doing their thing. :/ Casual often means limited game time -- who wants to spend 20 to 30 mins contending with masses to get one quest done??

And it all seems, after reading the RoadMap, that they are so focused on not losing any item,name or unlock in server transition that even if they wanted there will be not enough time to resolve this problem in timely manner :(

They will create Mega 'Torment" Servers:(

Hi i just want to point my concern about new Servers after the Merge.

1. Respawn timers

Imagine 2 or more times players trying to do Dromund Kass Heroic Possessed Hunter or Courscant Face Merchants... with current re spawn timers....Welcome to Armageddon:D Welcome to SWTOR Hell:(

Or this will cause Kaas to have 3-4 instances and it won't be that bad.

I for one would very much like to know what (if anything) they are doing for those of us who like lower populations

Honestly this could be something as simple as a toggle on the map screen for automatically loading you into the lowest population instance, and perhaps lowering the new instance threshold a bit.

I'm not optimistic in the slightest, while I'm glad harbinger is being kept separate from SL (and they get a dumb name too lol), I'm still very much concerned about overpopulation.

I would also like the multiple instances. I know I don't want the "Entire Game" like Iokath. so many people going every direction doing everything in the same places. It reminded me of everybody playing different sports all in one room. One person trying to do their Story or Heroic or other when groups run through stealing what's left pushing everybody else out just not right in a game that started (and supposedly still is) Story and mostly single player story lines.

I would also like the multiple instances. I know I don't want the "Entire Game" like Iokath. so many people going every direction doing everything in the same places. It reminded me of everybody playing different sports all in one room. One person trying to do their Story or Heroic or other when groups run through stealing what's left pushing everybody else out just not right in a game that started (and supposedly still is) Story and mostly single player story lines.

It'll probably have the same thresholds we have now (ex. around 150 on Dromand Kaas/Coruscant) so i don't think we have to worry about stupid hordes, but I'd still like to have somewhere i can go to get away from the normal hordes

^^^^ This.

I'm feeling somewhat skeptical about all this upcoming stuff. The merges worry me. I never fare well in merges. For the sake of those who are wanting all this, I'm glad it is happening, for them. I'm not sure that it's going to be what I want in a game though. However, I'm not going to pitch a hissy 'til I see how it all turns out. No point to freaking out before things actually happen. I was smart enough after the first merge to come up with really off the wall names so I doubt I'll get snared there like I did before. Hopefully.

Fingers crossed as I really want to stick with SWTOR but a lot of the proposed changes aren't sitting right with me. Time will tell.

Seeing as everybody and their mother likes to do heroics as soon as I want to, more instances for the troublesome ones would indeed be nice.

Wait, wait , wait. Right we'll go now! Oh con sarn it everything's dead already.......:mad:

This is a surprisingly regular occurrence and it makes me want to launch a player genocide.

Wait, wait , wait. Right we'll go now! Oh con sarn it everything's dead already.......:mad:

This is a surprisingly regular occurrence and it makes me want to launch a player genocide.

Haha, you never met a wild horde of dolmen farmers in ESO then. You get ready for a challenging fight, and suddenly a black cloud rushes in (literally, the client displays players as black shapes while loading their appearance data.) By the time you realize that it's several dozens players roflstomping the mobs it's already over, and the horde is galloping off into the sunset (or rather the next dolmen)

At least over there everyone who just hits the mob (or heals someone who does) will get loot and credit for the kill.

Edited by Mubrak

Haha, you never met a wild horde of dolmen farmers in ESO then. You get ready for a challenging fight, and suddenly a black cloud rushes in (literally, the client displays players as black shapes while loading their appearance data.) By the time you realize that it's several dozens players roflstomping the mobs it's already over, and the horde is galloping off into the sunset (or rather the next dolmen)

At least over there everyone who just hits the mob (or heals someone who does) will get loot and credit for the kill.

You get the same sort of thing in GW2. There's even a name for the phenomenon: zergs. A world boss's scheduled event approaches, and the ground in front of where the boss will appear is swarming with players, and you can easily see 50 players preparing to take down, say, the Legendary Karka Queen.

But then again, *even with level scaling*, those world bosses are worthy of the name, and most of them make SWTOR world bosses look like hopeless dweebs. (The Wasp Queen in Queensdale isn't too bad, and a well-equipped level 80 can take her down solo, but you have to know what you're doing. But soloing the Queensdale Cave Troll or Tequatl the Sunless is a non-starter.)

Personally, I think they should just do a soft pass (once this is live) and simple make some private instance areas for a lot of the areas this will affect. They should've done it during that whole year they were doing level sync to be honest. But... better late than never.

Either that, or, yeah... they're going to have to make those spawn timers pop faster and/or allow for players to forcefully create new instances as a walk around.

Still, I'm optimistic that this should help given new hardware and software coming our way. I mean, I want to be optimistic here... that was actually the best Road Map I've seen in two years-- and probably on the top five Producer notes I've seen going back to SWG days for myself.

some of us that are already on better populated servers are more or less used to 'fight' for objectives, but all other people that chosen less populated servers for a reason will now be "forced" to either adapt to new situation or evade or quit that parts of the game that are always crowded.

All of this could be avoided or minimized

Node hunting during crafting conquest, or leading up to it, and heroics for conquest will be brutal on these merged servers. It is already bad enough on the more populated servers, but adding in these additional players that may now join guilds due to the merge and having more available options open to them, will make it that much harder. They have to do something about the respawn times. Not everyone can hang around an area for hours just trying to gather nodes or kill mobs for those heroics.

It's almost as if you all have never played an MMO before. :rolleyes:

Having played an MMO before noting the problems that are absolutely going to come up is normal. Grouping won't help on some of the heroics either since multiple groups will be trying to get the same spawn with a long timer.

When XYZ planet's heroics are the bonus for a large guild's invasion planet for Conquest then there were will be a metric ton of players from those large guilds, all grouped, who will be on that planet, along with anyone else who isn't in those guilds who simply wish to do the planetary.

What would fix the problem is putting ALL heroics in an INSTANCE. That has been the solution I've seen when merges occurred in other games and it works well.

Edited by Kyrra_T

It's almost as if you all have never played an MMO before. :rolleyes:
I played WoW until recently and Blizzard adressed the problem by allowing multi-tagging.

And frankly the possessed hunter heroic on dromund Kaas should be enabled by interacting with an object, not a long respawn time, because even then multi tagging will not be a satisfactory solution.

Same thought for the Face Merchants heroic on Coruscant.

Seriously? This is your concern? You realize we had 3 times as many players just 2 years ago right? No server is even close to doubling in size...I think the way things currently work will be just fine.

Seriously yes. Not everyone has the same concerns. You clearly don't do Plantaries on Couruscant, DK or Taris if you think the spawn timers work just fine now.

Seriously yes. Not everyone has the same concerns. You clearly don't do Plantaries on Couruscant, DK or Taris if you think the spawn timers work just fine now.

You couldn't be more wrong. I know the quests you're concerned about...skip them or group up, this is an MMO after-all.

all of the spawned mob Heroics will be a pain in the rear. I try to invite folks to a group if I am waiting or if I am coming up and someone else is waiting. sometimes that works...other times they just ignore you...while others they are already in a group and no one else is around. I am patient, though, but there are just times when you are working to get a task accomplished and the brakes come on while waiting.

I have found a way to help pass the time, though, i keep a stack of comp gifts with me and start hitting 5 (my hot key) until it respawns. fun times when you think youre the only one and BOOM what the...oh..stealth. I dont even do talus heroics because of that one quest and folks just always seem to be waiting. oh..you dont want to group, though, yea...wow...ok.

bah. several of these can get the green door treatment, but others not so much. TBH....I stopped doing the DK heroics because of that one guy. I was looking forward to and not forward to the drop in cxp in some areas because...yea...why such a long timer on something you click. I do help kill the mobs regardless just to speed up the next spawn so you wont catch me just watching you pound on something. there were just some spawn times in SWG that were brutal. And...i have never seen this weekly walker on Yavin IV. it is just never there. :)