Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Problems sending whispers/tells.

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > New Player Help
Problems sending whispers/tells.

Vigilark
09.28.2017 , 05:17 PM | #1
Everytime I try and send a whisper I get player not found, even though they are online. Same faction. I have tried a variety of ways. Is there a space in any of the commands? Looked like there is one. I have tried, ( ), { } [ ] and none of them work. Yes, I've remembered to use : afterwards. Is there a level requirement to send tells/whispers? I currently tried on my level one to get invited to a guild, didn't work even though I tried many times. Thanks for any help.

Vercundus
09.29.2017 , 12:34 AM | #2
Is there a special character in player's name? If so, then that is the reason.

Also, player might have gone offline.
Rename EU server to Darth Marr!
My referral link http://www.swtor.com/r/jRpChs

SteveTheCynic
09.29.2017 , 02:50 AM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by Vigilark View Post
Everytime I try and send a whisper I get player not found, even though they are online. Same faction. I have tried a variety of ways. Is there a space in any of the commands? Looked like there is one. I have tried, ( ), { } [ ] and none of them work. Yes, I've remembered to use : afterwards. Is there a level requirement to send tells/whispers? I currently tried on my level one to get invited to a guild, didn't work even though I tried many times. Thanks for any help.
/w Playername: message
/w Player name: message

Note the colon (":") - it is required to separate the player name from the message, since a space no longer suffices.

Without the colon, you'd have this problem when trying to whisper "Player" and ask him "Name one thing that does that?":
/w Player Name one thing that does that?

And you get a whisper back from "Player Name" asking what the kcuf you are talking about.

Or maybe the other way around.

The colon allows the system to tell which you are trying to do.
http://www.swtor.com/r/Hg3sV2
Buda-buda-buda-buda-buda-buda-CHING!
PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW!
To go to Belsavis, you must go to Belsavis.

Vigilark
09.29.2017 , 05:05 AM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by Vercundus View Post
Is there a special character in player's name? If so, then that is the reason.

Also, player might have gone offline.
They told me no special characters and no, they weren't offline. I am in a guild with the person and was logging back and forth with the person to talk about it.

Vigilark
09.29.2017 , 05:08 AM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by SteveTheCynic View Post
/w Playername: message
/w Player name: message

Note the colon (":") - it is required to separate the player name from the message, since a space no longer suffices.

Without the colon, you'd have this problem when trying to whisper "Player" and ask him "Name one thing that does that?":
/w Player Name one thing that does that?

And you get a whisper back from "Player Name" asking what the kcuf you are talking about.

Or maybe the other way around.

The colon allows the system to tell which you are trying to do.
So just /w works? I was typing in /whisper as the chat help states. I tried /tell at first, then the chat help mentions a new command /whisper [player name]: . That's what I was doing. guess they need to update it again.

To save me time. is it { } [ ] or ( ) I use? It all looks about the same in game.

JediQuaker
09.29.2017 , 08:35 AM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by Vigilark View Post
To save me time. is it { } [ ] or ( ) I use? It all looks about the same in game.
None of them. The brackets shown in the "how to" are just there to specify that it's the place where you put the player's name.
The proper form is as stated above by Steve. For example, to say hello to me, it would be:
/w Jediquaker: Hello

- not - /w [Jediquaker]: Hello

No brackets of any kind.

Note - if you right-click on a characters name in the chat window and select "Whisper" the "w/ playername:" part will be entered for you and you just need to type the message. Then there's no worries about typing their name correctly.

Vigilark
09.29.2017 , 08:51 AM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by JediQuaker View Post
None of them. The brackets shown in the "how to" are just there to specify that it's the place where you put the player's name.
The proper form is as stated above by Steve. For example, to say hello to me, it would be:
/w Jediquaker: Hello

- not - /w [Jediquaker]: Hello

No brackets of any kind.

Note - if you right-click on a characters name in the chat window and select "Whisper" the "w/ playername:" part will be entered for you and you just need to type the message. Then there's no worries about typing their name correctly.
I was told by someone in game to use brackets. Guess they were trolling me. Anyway, thank you. Was thinking, what a stupid system to use brackets. At least I didn't type in "player name" too haha.

Yea, I know about right clicking. thing is, I needed to whisper on another character to get invited to a guild. Couldn't do it on the character that needed invited. So, had to type in the whisper command. Thanks again. Initially I did try without the brackets the first time I ran into this issue, but maybe the person really did log off and it was just bad luck. I concluded it wasn't the brackets.