Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

You know what's underperforming?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
You know what's underperforming?

matthobbit
09.28.2017 , 10:48 AM | #1
SWTOR.

The only thing that keeps me on this game is friends. Given the sad amount of content we've received since January 2017, my guildies are the only people who keep me on. This game is bleeding, and the team is consistently making bad decisions to push more people out.

Underperforming list:
  • Class Balance
    This is, frankly speaking, a massive waste of time. Mostly DPS and HPS nerfs piss people off in some Quixotic quest for "balance". Rather than develop new, interesting utilities that encourage people to try out new specs/classes/playstyles, devs have spent months fiddling with numbers, which was a problem nobody knew existed. What people were actually complaining about was unbalanced utilities and survivability, which has, for almost a year now, been untouched. The massive nerf to damage reflect kicked several HM groups out of ops, which was incredibly frustrating. If you don't understand human psychology - people are much more severely affected when you take away something they have. These choices are punishing people for participating in content.
  • Operations
    2 new ops bosses - Credit where its due: Tyth and the Sisters are fun. But it's been 2 years with only 2 operations bosses to show for it. DPS and HPS nerfs make it difficult more difficult for new learning players (which this game desperately needs) to meet heal and dps checks. PUGGING becomes more uncommon and difficult checks for SM content (Think ToS and Ravagers) make it less likely that newcomers will be welcome to a group. Make storymode easier. 236 gear has become very easy to come by with Command Crates. Keep HM and NiM where they are.
  • Umbara
    Ridiculously overtuned - 248-geared toons regularly getting 1-shotted in Master Mode. Veteran mode almost unplayable without a healer, and lower level toons are just a burden in it. When you can't get a reliable group for this FP, people make the decision "you know what, I'm not going to queue because it will be a waste of time".
  • Uprisings
    This is, by far, the biggest waste of opportunity I have ever seen in this game. It is clear that the devs put a lot of time, love, and effort into making these unique and fun. But the incentives are.... atrocious. If you can't clear the last boss, you get absolutely nothing. Nada, zilch, zero. People do not queue for uprisings because literally everything else at least gives you participation rewards for effort (PvP, FPs, dailies). They don't even drop decorations or cosmetic gear - only CXP for the CXP god. If you want more people to play your MMO, you have to give good incentives for participating in group content.
  • Command XP
    This one is pretty contentious. A lot of people don't like the grind but legacy perks and CXP boost weeks have made it easier. The major problem for most people is that this has become a major source of gearing, but 9 times out of 10 you get useless cosmetic gear that nobody wants. Now, what if each Tier4 Crate dropped... a Grand Chance Cube?

That's my list. I'm just sad because SWTOR is basically relying on people who love the Star Wars universe to maintain its player base. Devs, please stop wasting time by punishing people with number crunching and start creating incentives to play the game again.

Foambreaker
09.28.2017 , 10:50 AM | #2
tl;dr

"You know what's underperforming?"

The Devs?

SolarSaenz
09.28.2017 , 10:51 AM | #3
This is like the 2nd "Make SWTOR Great Again" NEW post I've seen today, more if we are counting the "I quit" posts.

It really is sad though, the state of the game.

TUXs
09.28.2017 , 11:00 AM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by Foambreaker View Post
tl;dr

The Devs?
Yes they are...no need for a "?"....
All warfare is based on deception If his forces are united, separate them If you are far from the enemy, make him believe you are near A leader leads by example not by force
My referral code: here What you get: here (1 FREE transfer 7-day FREE sub FREE Jumpstart and Preferred Bundles)

aerockyul
09.28.2017 , 11:06 AM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by matthobbit View Post
SWTOR.
[SNIP]
This one is pretty contentious. A lot of people don't like the grind but legacy perks and CXP boost weeks have made it easier. The major problem for most people is that this has become a major source of gearing, but 9 times out of 10 you get useless cosmetic gear that nobody wants. Now, what if each Tier4 Crate dropped... a Grand Chance Cube?
That would actually be an improvement over the actual drop rates (and that's not even accounting for duplicates)
Keeya, Lill'ya, Odessis, Vaisis, Mura Saki, HitessaJaista, Altheeka, Ayasi, Dunheiress
Kahntara, Kaytee'roxx Eko'va, Namie Amuro, Misphire Portrait Gallery
Satele Shan ReferralsProud Ashara...ite? Asharan? Team Ashara!

Costello
09.28.2017 , 11:19 AM | #6
When I heard about Uprisings I was thinking, this is amazing. You have a limited budget so you do the smart thing, you take already existing maps i.e. port nowhere and you repurpose it with new story and new spawns and you make it free so people can enjoy the content.

Then it was ruined by making it group content that people were desperate to rush through to get a few CXP. If instead of trying to make it fast and frantic, it had a story and could be done solo at your own pace they would have really added to the game.

The devs have to think what sort of game this is, what it was sold on and ask if at any point encouraging people to rush through as the normal play style is the right move. There will always be people that want to rush, they will stealth through every mission and then complain there is nothing to do. If they want to do that with uprisings fine, but there should have been an option to find lore items and clues as to the deep story and hell even enjoyed what story there was.

Instead it was a rush job to get little to no reward so no surprise people rushed through and then got bored with them.

kukumburr
09.28.2017 , 11:56 AM | #7
I don't agree with the class balance stuff. I've played this game since launch and played WoW for years before that and it's a completely normal part of MMOs. Sometimes they go a little bit too far in either direction but then that gets changed again later on. It's not a big deal.

I agree with the uprisings thing a lot though. I don't do flashpoints much anymore because a lot of them feel too long to me but I love how short and sweet uprisings are. But there is really almost no incentive to doing them. Yeah you get some CXP but it's just not enough to motivate me really. So I just end up doing more warzones or something else instead.

MingusPho
09.28.2017 , 12:41 PM | #8
All great points and very well written!

This game has become like a bad apartment complex--residents complain about the plumbing, pests, and crime so the landlord adds a swimming pool.

merovejec
09.28.2017 , 12:52 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Foambreaker View Post
tl;dr

The Devs?
5 Points for Griffindor!
Merovejec Merovex Meroveg Merovien Meroven Merovingian
Meroxer Raynarog Ray-narock Raynarock Raynaroc Raynarok
7 days of being a sub, try it! Refferal Link
Beaten the game?

Arlanon
09.28.2017 , 02:34 PM | #10
I haven't played SWtoR in over 2 weeks now because I am literally having more fun playing mobile games on my Android

I even installed the MEmu emulator on my PC so I can play them at home on a bigger screen