Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Why don't people want to do stuff!?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Why don't people want to do stuff!?

Qouivandes's Avatar


Qouivandes
09.27.2017 , 10:49 AM | #11
my situation is not at all unique, but i tend to do things solo simply because i have a bunch that i want to accomplish in my limited time i have to play. i am trying to change that, though. i can be extremely asocial which is mostly a learned response from years playing not only here, but in other games. at one point, i realy enjoyed healing and, i thought, i was pretty good at performing. then i get in a series of bad pugs day after day for weeks and begin to change my toons from tank/healers to DPS.

this past weekend was really the first time i did a FP outside of story mode and, tried, in earnest, PvP. got smacked down a few times in PvP because i am just really outside of my element now with that. strange as i used to PvP a lot several years ago and it was actually my main source of leveling and income for a long time. The three flashpoints i did (HS, BP, and the Umbraa train one) went fairly well, but i have to remember boss mechanics.

im doing it again, but to actually answer your question: people have migrated to a different play style over the last few years and tend to stick with people that they have come up with (so to speak). Find a guild that you might be able to join. suggestion on that, run a bunch of pug PvP and Flashpoints. take note of guild names. ignore the ******s and jot down the names of those that seem to be friendly. its a good chance if you run across a few friendly folks with the same guild tag that the rest of their guild will be similar.

on my own front, i am attempting to break my asocial habits i built up over the last few years and attempt to get back into the game with a guild. however, it will need to be one that wont boot me if i dont log on for a few weeks at a time; or if im a bit quiet more so than not (and the opposite...like today...im a typing madhouse in threads).

overall: continue to be courteous and friendly. and keep an eye out for like minded folks. dont come on too strong or send random group invites. and dont go on a tirade if folks are less than hospitable. this weekend i got chewed out in a pug pvp arena. i was cordial, apologized for my lack of skill (which he was right, of course), and did a flash point instead of pvp in the hopes i wouldnt run across him again. i dont like using ignore often...unless you start jawa chats....then ignore.
*.**.* The Cer'qeuil Legacy *.**.*
*.*.* Ebon Hawk *. *.*
. This is my referral link. We both get some goodies so feel free to click and earn

PiiTarr's Avatar


PiiTarr
09.27.2017 , 10:53 AM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by devilkat View Post
This is exactly why I don't do group content anymore. I got asked a couple of times back when you actually needed a group to do FPs and joined up. I had never done them before, and a couple of them were jerks about me wanting to listen to the mission and figure out what I was suppose to do. I finished them, but after the second or third time, I decided to not do group content anymore. As you say, its suppose to be fun and having some jerk tell you "space bar is your friend" 80 times gets annoying and is a real turn off. Now, since I haven't done a lot of group play, I don't even try to join up, even with a guild because I don't want to be the one who makes us lose. I'd like to try WBs and stuff, but I don' t know if I could and I wouldn't want to hurt the rest of them.
It all depends on the players in your guild. There are some who are more than willing to wait for new players (or players new to certain content) to experience the story/cutscenes, especially if they know ahead of time that there are people who haven't seen them before. Several of the guildies I've grouped with regularly will speed run everything unless a newer member is along, in which case they'll ask if they want to watch cutscenes, tackle bonuses, etc. They encourage other players to take their time and enjoy the content. I've also pugged and gotten the jerks who are ordering people to spacebar even though everyone is already hitting the spacebar, so yes, I do understand how annoying/frustrating that experience can be.

TUXs's Avatar


TUXs
09.27.2017 , 10:58 AM | #13
I wanna do stuff...every time I log on I do stuff. Some solo stuff but 99% group stuff. You need a (better) guild...we're always doing stuff...too much stuff some nights...had 3 raid teams going last night.
All warfare is based on deception If his forces are united, separate them If you are far from the enemy, make him believe you are near A leader leads by example not by force
My referral code: here What you get: here (1 FREE transfer 7-day FREE sub FREE Jumpstart and Preferred Bundles)

DieAlteHexe's Avatar


DieAlteHexe
09.27.2017 , 11:01 AM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by DuchessKristania View Post
Well, personally I have a visual disability. I can see well enough to play PVE but the chat window is not a great communication option for me. I have the font pretty big and can read it, but it's still difficult. Because of that I limit my group stuff to friends who I can chat with on skype and who know my limitations.

Also, the sad fact is there are a lot of people who can be super rude if you haven't made a life out of understanding every mechanic of the game. I'd say most people are very nice and try to be patient, but it only takes one jerk to ruin the experience for an entire group. So I just prefer to run with people I know.
^^^^ This, except in my case it's my hearing and the preponderance of people who INSIST on TS or the like has led to my just not bothering. Also a bit...erm...elderly and my reflexes aren't what they were along with a bit of arthritis. IOW, I don't want to inflict myself on others. There are some folk who don't mind but I am slower and also a "ditherer" (I like to read the dialogs, look at the scenery, poke around which, understandably, drives many nuts).

I love to do stuff, just not annoy others with HOW I do stuff.
---------------------------------------------------------------

-- It's the journey, not the destination. --

kodrac's Avatar


kodrac
09.27.2017 , 11:05 AM | #15
Find a guild with like minded people. It might take 2 or 6 tries but eventually you'll get it.
One FREE character transfer -> CLICKY plus 7 days FREE -> FAQ

PiiTarr's Avatar


PiiTarr
09.27.2017 , 11:09 AM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by MasterMizrahi View Post
Why doesn't anyone wasnt to do anything in this game? I spent 2 years server hopping looking for a server where people actually do stuff! Every server I went to where I tried to run an operation, a flashpoint, or even group pvp, people reacted like I had ten heads. About after a month I was on almost everyone's ignore list and I don't spam chat. No wonder this game is dying!
A while back someone showed up on fleet during the wee morning hours when the total number of players showing on fleet was 38. They went around and sent a blind group invite to me and a guildie, with whom I was chatting. A few minutes later they announced in general chat that they'd invited everyone on fleet and not one person had grouped with them. They then became insulting in their language because of our refusal to group. Another player pointed out blind invites are considered rude, and an argument ensued over that while the individual continued to make insulting comments towards everyone on fleet as a whole. The incident made me not want to group with that person, ever, despite the fact I'd never seen them before that night, so they went on my ignore list.

While I can't speak for the other players on fleet, I know that my guildie and I were having a discussion about guild business before both of us logged off to go to sleep. However, or refusal to group with that person does not mean we don't want to do stuff. We do stuff all the time, we just weren't looking to do anything at that particular moment. Ultimately, there are lots of players wanting to do stuff, it just comes down to timing, and how they are approached. This is why, as others have said, finding a good guild can really help facilitate group activities.

SolarSaenz's Avatar


SolarSaenz
09.27.2017 , 11:18 AM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by devilkat View Post
This is exactly why I don't do group content anymore. I got asked a couple of times back when you actually needed a group to do FPs and joined up. I had never done them before, and a couple of them were jerks about me wanting to listen to the mission and figure out what I was suppose to do. I finished them, but after the second or third time, I decided to not do group content anymore. As you say, its suppose to be fun and having some jerk tell you "space bar is your friend" 80 times gets annoying and is a real turn off. Now, since I haven't done a lot of group play, I don't even try to join up, even with a guild because I don't want to be the one who makes us lose. I'd like to try WBs and stuff, but I don' t know if I could and I wouldn't want to hurt the rest of them.
I'm very sorry you had that experience.

Some years ago, I was in a group for one of the Revan FPs. I was the healer. The tank was just running through everything and wasn't waiting for the rest of us to catch up and was yelling at the rest of the group keep up and that we were too slow. One of the DPS was frustrated because they really wanted to take their time and do a full clear of the FP. I offered to walk them through a slowed down, full clear, but they politely declined.

I felt bad for that guy because if it's your first time running through one of those FPs, it's terrible to be rushed through it. the Revan FPs are pretty much the continuation of where KOTOR 1 & 2 left off, and it's a shame to have to rush through the conclusion of all that.

Sargrith's Avatar


Sargrith
09.27.2017 , 11:28 AM | #18
Sometimes its a simply matter of being in the right channel. Allies is a channel on Ebon Hawk that works ok at forming up groups for OPs and such. Its not what it once was but still you can join up usually on a run eventually and that might give you a chance to meet a guild that you fit in well with. Just a thought.

masterceil's Avatar


masterceil
09.27.2017 , 11:49 AM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by Sargrith View Post
Sometimes its a simply matter of being in the right channel. Allies is a channel on Ebon Hawk that works ok at forming up groups for OPs and such. Its not what it once was but still you can join up usually on a run eventually and that might give you a chance to meet a guild that you fit in well with. Just a thought.
I thought that was just a channel for hatin' on P***e
Appreciate the help/snark in the above post? Click here to help me out!
Celestial ArgonautsCelestial Dreadnauts
Star Forged from the Ebon Hawk cacd.enjin.com

docbenwayddo's Avatar


docbenwayddo
09.27.2017 , 11:50 AM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by DieAlteHexe View Post
... Also a bit...erm...elderly and my reflexes aren't what they were along with a bit of arthritis.
/shakes lightcane at kids on hyperlawn. "Stay outta my holocherry tree! Dang younglings and their reflexes and Xantha music..."


This really hit home for me during GSF early access.