Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

The Reason Overpricing on the GTN is a Problem

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
The Reason Overpricing on the GTN is a Problem

orangenee
09.26.2017 , 04:27 PM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by MeNaCe-NZ View Post
Anyone wanting to make a good amount of credits with little effort this poster has just identified a market to do so.
Find the server, confirm the crystals will sell for 100K and buy him out every time he lists and re-list.

Granted you need some credits to get started in this and rely on the crystals selling at a decent rate (so they sell before he and the competition re-lists) but this sort of should give people an idea on how easy it is to make credits in this game.
They don't sell for 100K. They sell lower though.

I've seen pages and pages of 100K crystals both cartel and crafted, even tried it myself and nothing. Doesn't draw attention like a bargain does.

However 1 50-60K crystal in a sea of 100s gets the buy button twitching. Bulk and reasonable pricing is always the way.

I sell in 20s, keep an eye out kids and you'll be Donald Trump in no time.

Oh and next time Bounty Contract week comes up, sell those contracts. I made 7 million from those last server week.

This guy I've quoted is a little bit up his own you know, but he's right. You want to rip people off, "nice" guys like me are the way to do it. Greed vs. Need.
SWTOR Referral link: http://www.swtor.com/r/Kqsyhb #FreeMalgus #MarrReborn

Eshvara
09.26.2017 , 04:41 PM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by Transcendent View Post
good things comes to those who wait.
One of my favourite quotes. waiting certainly can be rewarding.
Hairy Co-pilot.
👀

Tsillah
09.26.2017 , 05:01 PM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by Eshvara View Post
One of my favourite quotes. waiting certainly can be rewarding.
If we wait long enough SWTOR will be shut down. Wait, is that not what people mean?
Don't freak out, I'm just here by the grace of a referal. Nothing more.

aerockyul
09.26.2017 , 05:04 PM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by MeNaCe-NZ View Post
Of course it could be argued I am part of the problem selling things for such high prices, buying out stock and driving prices up but these are market prices and if the credits weren't there I wouldn't be able to do so (and would sell cheaper to suit the market). To sell cheaper now for me would be silly for me as someone would just buy and re-list for a higher price because the market will allow it so I'd be cutting myself out of credits.
That and the whole GTN activity is one of the few activities I still enjoy in the game. *shrug*.
Just a general question, not targeted at you specifically, but do you see the perpetual cycle caused by pricing so high?

You and others have acknowledged the problem that credit sellers make for the economy. But they wouldn't have a market if people weren't seeing things listed in the dozens and hundreds of millions and despairing at how long and how much time it would actually take to make that much money in a reasonable amount of time. Some GTN warriors tell them to run heroics and they'll be there in no time ( ). Or create a market for crafting (and hope that someone else doesn't already have this market cornered and won't just simply undercut you until you have to give up and you've already wasted all the time and money to find out too late that this will happen). Or spend inordinate amounts of times mat-farming against bots only to run into the same issue.

Yes, fortunes can be made this way but most people do not have the time or patience to do things like that. Then they see someone selling millions upon millions of credits for what seems like chump change and they can now, instead of months of time grinding, buy all the credits instantly and buy that 200mil weapon. Then the seller says "Hey, this is the market price! I'll sell the next one for 225mil and it will still sell!"

Don't get me started on someone who listens to advice given here or other areas, grinds for two months straight doing heroics until they can't stomach playing the game anymore, finally gets to their goal and goes to buy the item they've wanted so much only to see the price has doubled, tripled, quadrupled, or worse.

I'm not saying any advice given is always wrong (misguided, sometimes), but the advice given amounts to months of grinding for the items that the sellers giving advice post for deliberately very high prices. Then there's the credit seller who cuts the grind and perpetually legitimizes the very high prices.

I'm not complaining. I'm not after some unicorn item and I haven't been burned personally. I don't buy credits. But I've seen both sides of this in-game with friends and guildies, from people actually connected to credit sellers to people artificially pricing way too high to people getting burned when they tried to follow well-intentioned advice only to have the rug pulled from under them at every turn.

Until Bioware completely gets rid of the credit sellers, no discussion of the economy (and lies about it being a healthy economy) matters. Sellers aren't the foundational enemy here, they're just exploiting (maybe too harsh of a word?) the people who use the credit sellers. They would have to sell at lower prices if there wasn't so much "dirty" money in the economy.
Keeya, Lill'ya, Odessis, Vaisis, Mura Saki, HitessaJaista, Altheeka, Ayasi, Dunheiress
Kahntara, Rienami, Kaytee'roxx Eko'va, Misphire Portrait Gallery
Satele Shan ReferralsProud Ashara...ite? Asharan? Team Ashara!

SeCKSEgai
09.26.2017 , 05:07 PM | #25
Really, all the inflation tells me is that even the most populated servers are being impacted by the population decline. It has a lot less to do with credit rewards and far more to do with reduced interest trickling down the line.
Riyn - Maryss - Rlnd - Mony - Retrocide - Reiy

Rlentless - Reyn - Rlad - Ttiana

MeNaCe-NZ
09.26.2017 , 05:43 PM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by orangenee View Post
They don't sell for 100K. They sell lower though.

I've seen pages and pages of 100K crystals both cartel and crafted, even tried it myself and nothing. Doesn't draw attention like a bargain does.

However 1 50-60K crystal in a sea of 100s gets the buy button twitching. Bulk and reasonable pricing is always the way.

I sell in 20s, keep an eye out kids and you'll be Donald Trump in no time.

Oh and next time Bounty Contract week comes up, sell those contracts. I made 7 million from those last server week.

This guy I've quoted is a little bit up his own you know, but he's right. You want to rip people off, "nice" guys like me are the way to do it. Greed vs. Need.
Taking advantage of the weak and naive like yourself to effectively make my own fortune greater, well that could be considered part of the Sith way.
Nice guys finish last for a reason dontcha know.

MeNaCe-NZ
09.26.2017 , 05:58 PM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by aerockyul View Post
Just a general question, not targeted at you specifically, but do you see the perpetual cycle caused by pricing so high?
No because of supply vs demand.
If I list something I ALWAYS undercut the lowest price significantly for one thing (thus pissing off a whole other area of the community heh) or don't list if it's selling below me making a reasonable profit (which is hard to gauge when so many items came from hypercrates I opened).
If I control a market (or at least have the only item when I search prices) well I start testing the waters with what I consider a really tidy profit for an items and then go up/down from there depending on if it sold or not (assume I always have multiples of items because I do in most cases).

Thus my method is completely supply and demand driven. The increasing prices are due to, imo, RMTs, previous exploits and largely reduced CM sales. That increases supply of credits and decreases supply of items to buy with said credits thus price goes up.

Quote:
You and others have acknowledged the problem that credit sellers make for the economy. But they wouldn't have a market if people weren't seeing things listed in the dozens and hundreds of millions and despairing at how long and how much time it would actually take to make that much money in a reasonable amount of time.
I see where you are going with this but it's only going to work if EVERYONE stopped selling high to take advantage of the increased credit base just to be ... nice? This won't happen though, it doesn't happen in the real world and it certainly won't happen in a fantasy game.
Now if I personally decided to do so I would just be lessening my own enjoyment of the game (I like making lots of credits and I like buying hypercrates) as I would effectively be making less credits even though the buying power aof a credit is going up.

Quote:
Some GTN warriors tell them to run heroics and they'll be there in no time ( ).
Yeah that usually won't happen.

Quote:
Or create
a market for crafting (and hope that someone else doesn't already have this market cornered and won't just simply undercut you until you have to give up and you've already wasted all the time and money to find out too late that this will happen).
Research your markets first, diversify and profit. There is a wealth of guide and help in the crew skills area that I can't see how anyone can't make decent credits from crew skills. Once you get a great credit base from crew skills then you can also start profiting from CM items - for example buy low sell high.
Then eventually you end up where I am now where you have so much inventory stashed away you can just buy tons of hypercrates, stash the goods whilst you work through selling off your older and now more valuable stuff (that also came from hypercrates). By the time you roll back around to that hypercrate the items would have inflated from embargo and you make really large profits easily.
Quote:

Yes, fortunes can be made this way but most people do not have the time or patience to do things like that. Then they see someone selling millions upon millions of credits for what seems like chump change and they can now, instead of months of time grinding, buy all the credits instantly and buy that 200mil weapon. Then the seller says "Hey, this is the market price! I'll sell the next one for 225mil and it will still sell!"
This is true but if BWA actively did something to remove those RMTs and most importantly their credits from the system the credit price would jump significantly. I recall when it was around $2 per million just before the first major credit exploit - this was when hypercrates were ~4 million and items priced accordingly.

If BWA managed to heavily target RMTs so the credit supply starts to dry up then GTN prices will drop over time as less people can afford the majorly high prices.

BWA choose not to do this, BWA chose not to investigate and remedy the exploits correctly - it's their game, the state of the economy is on them.

Quote:
Until Bioware completely gets rid of the credit sellers, no discussion of the economy (and lies about it being a healthy economy) matters. Sellers aren't the foundational enemy here, they're just exploiting (maybe too harsh of a word?) the people who use the credit sellers. They would have to sell at lower prices if there wasn't so much "dirty" money in the economy.
You'll note I read your post as I quoted because it seems in the end we agree.

MeNaCe-NZ
09.26.2017 , 06:01 PM | #28
Quote: Originally Posted by SeCKSEgai View Post
Really, all the inflation tells me is that even the most populated servers are being impacted by the population decline. It has a lot less to do with credit rewards and far more to do with reduced interest trickling down the line.
I don't think so because you have to consider the full implications of reduced population.

Less supply of CM items, less credits in the economy, less demand for items ... all in all you would think it would balance out more or less, not have CM inflation by a factor of 5+ in a matter of a month and now up to 10x in a couple of years.

There is something more at play here and I think the RMTs, their cheap pricing and the lack of any seeming risk in buying or selling are probably the major factor.

americanaussie
09.26.2017 , 06:16 PM | #29
The reason it's a problem is because there's too many greedy lucky cartel spenders who buy packs, get a sweet item then declare it worth 100 MILLION on gtn. Second lucky cartel spender gets the item. Looks at gtn. SWEET THIS IS GOING FOR 100 MILL..IMMA POST IT FOR 99MILL
Somewhere down the line, someone may post for 60 mill but that's it.

These lucky cartel spenders regularly buy a crap load of cc stuffs/packs like 50 at a time, so they've got a huge amount of credits because they're the first to post awesome items.

Now normal Joe gets a normal item. But normal Joe wants the 60 mill ultra rare death lightsaber item. So normal Joe posts his normal item at 13-25 mill. Now it's not worth 13-25 mill, but normal Joe needs credits.
Other normal Joe's, see Joe's listing and think, sweet, this junk is worth 13-25 mill and also post it.

Broke me goes dang it...I can't afford anything so me quits/or me posts on forum ranting about gtn prices.

As long as the cartel market is selling stuff, gtn will be legit out of control because people are inherently greedy. All of us get something ultra rare and we rub our hands together in anticipation of how much we will get off of gtn.

That's the gtn for you. The more money you spend in cc, the more credits you likely have.
Thank you to everyone who has used my referral link over the years and to all of the wonderful people I've met on here.

americanaussie
09.26.2017 , 06:23 PM | #30
Oh and here's my proof. Over the months I've talked with other SWTOR people. Just the other day a few admitted to having more than 80 million credits at their disposal. Why? Because of cartel market items they've sold for 60 mill+ those of us who are broke, as in barely scrape together 2-3 mil, aren't big cartel market spenders. The amount spent at cartel market was the common denominator.
Thank you to everyone who has used my referral link over the years and to all of the wonderful people I've met on here.