Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

The Reason Overpricing on the GTN is a Problem

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
The Reason Overpricing on the GTN is a Problem

JediQuaker
09.26.2017 , 08:42 AM | #11
Overpricing on the GTN is not a problem. There's nothing overpriced that you "need", only things that you "want".
It's time to put on your big boy pants and accept that "you can't always get what you want".

Innocente
09.26.2017 , 08:53 AM | #12
My thinking is that it is actually the players themselves that cause this problem. Don't blame the company, put the blame squarely where it belongs. When I post on the GTN, and run into an inflated market, I try to post at a value that makes me a nice profit, and one that new players could afford to pay. Maybe that makes me stupid, but I get comfort that someone might find a good buy and be made happy.

So, if you all want to see inflation go away, then start posting at reasonable prices. I guarantee that the prices will come down, and will stay down as long as folks continue to post at reasonable prices.

This is not EA/Bioware issue - it is 100% a player generated problem.

Just my 2c

orangenee
09.26.2017 , 09:06 AM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by Innocente View Post
My thinking is that it is actually the players themselves that cause this problem. Don't blame the company, put the blame squarely where it belongs. When I post on the GTN, and run into an inflated market, I try to post at a value that makes me a nice profit, and one that new players could afford to pay. Maybe that makes me stupid, but I get comfort that someone might find a good buy and be made happy.

So, if you all want to see inflation go away, then start posting at reasonable prices. I guarantee that the prices will come down, and will stay down as long as folks continue to post at reasonable prices.

Just my 2c
My main source of GTN income is colour crystals. Now I see all the time that advanced reds are often priced at 100K each, way too much considering the cost to make them on average isn't all that much even when levelling.

I price mine at about 50K but every 5 or so I'll stick one up for 10K. Generally my intention is to make it available to somebody with not many credits in the bank but I guarantee a lot of the time it's the buy low/sell high types getting them.

The markets in the state that even if you try to throw people a bone by marking down your prices somebody will buy it and sell it on for way more. It'll take way more effort to drive prices down.
SWTOR Referral link: http://www.swtor.com/r/Kqsyhb #FreeMalgus #MarrReborn

Transcendent
09.26.2017 , 11:22 AM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by Eshvara View Post
But it already got one, it's gonna be a long wait.
“All good things comes to those who wait.”

Thanks to everyone who has used my Refer a Friend link over the years, may the force be with you.

SaerethDL
09.26.2017 , 01:36 PM | #15
I think you just made this post to talk about the "friend" you "love so deeply"..
"Savior, conqueror, hero, villain. You are all things, Revan, and yet you are nothing.You will forever stand alone."
Get a FREE server transfer, FREE 7 days subscription, FREE inventory slot upgrade and other FREE goodies! CLICK HERE

MeNaCe-NZ
09.26.2017 , 03:35 PM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by JattaGin View Post
There are people here on this forum claiming that it is so easy to have billions nowadays and that many players actually have that many credits. It's not true. If you have a life outside of this game and not hundreds of Euros ready for CM shopping every month, you won't get billions of credits. I don't know why these people claim this.
That's not true though. I have billions and billions more in items to sell. I spend maybe 1 hour a day on average creating my fortune (1 toon in the morning and 1 at night listing 8 pages of auctions in a really basic sense - it's less than an hour but I spend more time in the weekends so the average seems fair) and maybe 2 hours per day back when I wasn't as rich and was building by item base (crafting and crew skills to start my wealth base to be able to horde CM items the way I do).

I've never spent a single cent on CC in this game and I don't make all that many CC through referrals (be lucky for 1000 a month).

So just because many people aren't aware of the means in which to easily make credits with little effort or time doesn't mean they don't exist. You do need to have a math geared, analytical mind though I would say so if numbers give you a headache then it's probably not going to be as time efficient or enjoyable as it may be for others.

Even though I have so many credits etc. the buying power of said credits has reduced and auctions on the whole have slowed (so less individual items selling meaning more work long term). All in all I would say 100 million a couple of years ago is about the 1 billion of today in regards to buying power of CM items and vice versa in making credits from them.
The problem of course is when you credits don't come from a CM related activity that massive increase in CM price is not offset by your own personal gain in wealth (as mine has due to being purely from a CM source) meaning things look really grim.

I would prefer things were cheaper so more people were buying more (and I would hopefully be just as wealthy as I am now, the number of credits I have would just be a smaller number).

Of course it could be argued I am part of the problem selling things for such high prices, buying out stock and driving prices up but these are market prices and if the credits weren't there I wouldn't be able to do so (and would sell cheaper to suit the market). To sell cheaper now for me would be silly for me as someone would just buy and re-list for a higher price because the market will allow it so I'd be cutting myself out of credits.
That and the whole GTN activity is one of the few activities I still enjoy in the game. *shrug*.

MeNaCe-NZ
09.26.2017 , 03:36 PM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by orangenee View Post
Yeah, the whole "buy low, sell high" crap doesn't fly. As low these days is millions.

You'd have to get lucky with a missed typo to subscribe to that philosophy.
Yet another fallacy. In another thread I outlined exactly how you can do just this and starting out at an incredibly cheap buy price and start building from there.

Just because people refuse to learn doesn't mean it can't easily be done.

MeNaCe-NZ
09.26.2017 , 03:38 PM | #18
Quote: Originally Posted by Innocente View Post

Just my 2c
It's 95% the companies fault solely because of their inability to deal with credit sellers and thus farming bots (who generate wealth illegally ideally) and how poorly they dealt with credit exploits that easily would have generated 100's of billions if not into the trillions into the game (maybe not the economy, depends what the people who cheated and got away with it did with the credits).

Poorly as in anyone who bothered to semi try to launder their credits got away with the lot.

MeNaCe-NZ
09.26.2017 , 03:40 PM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by orangenee View Post
My main source of GTN income is colour crystals. Now I see all the time that advanced reds are often priced at 100K each, way too much considering the cost to make them on average isn't all that much even when levelling.

I price mine at about 50K but every 5 or so I'll stick one up for 10K. Generally my intention is to make it available to somebody with not many credits in the bank but I guarantee a lot of the time it's the buy low/sell high types getting them.

The markets in the state that even if you try to throw people a bone by marking down your prices somebody will buy it and sell it on for way more. It'll take way more effort to drive prices down.
Anyone wanting to make a good amount of credits with little effort this poster has just identified a market to do so.
Find the server, confirm the crystals will sell for 100K and buy him out every time he lists and re-list.

Granted you need some credits to get started in this and rely on the crystals selling at a decent rate (so they sell before he and the competition re-lists) but this sort of should give people an idea on how easy it is to make credits in this game.

Ansultares
09.26.2017 , 03:49 PM | #20
I feel like I've read this story before. Something about trying to save your relationship with your boyfriend by grinding out a set for him in a game he doesn't even play any longer.

You're wasting your time, btw.
Snare