Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Does Bioware Dislike Women?

Lunafox
09.27.2017 , 02:23 PM | #41
Quote: Originally Posted by Iceslasher View Post
Absolutely in a nutshell, I had some idiot tell me that women only play mmo's to "FIND a man or Support their man" They do NOT tank or dps they only heal" no joke this was about 20 years ago in a different game, this is why I was so pleased when swtor came out and there was actually female toons..with female romance companions...sadly my first toon was a warrior so i thought hey republic won't have that issue with betrayal..i tried a trooper...bad choice but the stories were really good and no i was NEVER a healer. Point is...we enjoy the game itself..i just keep thinking ...do the devs have that awful mind set from 20 years ago??? That we can't play nm my raid group is evenly divided 4 men and 4 women ...1 woman tank, 1 man, srsly...no one holds our hand..we just want to be treated fairly . Plus I think the LGBTQ finally having romance options is Awesome..it's about time but are they also going to have to go through what we have been dealing with for years??
Your example really underscores the misconceptions and ignorance some people have about female players. My hubby and I often play the same game together, and I can honestly tell you, that I'm the more aggressive one...I'm the one that tanked...and when I didn't tank I dps'd. My hubby has always had a thing for playing healers...just about every game we've ever played, he was the one drawn to the healer, to the point that some of his friends would call him 'Doc' even in real life (which amuses me somewhat), but yeah, even with stuff like pvp, I was the more viscious, I'd be tanking or pew pewing and he'd be supporting with his heals.

I still remember a truly funny thing from a couple of years back, some guy assumed my husband was a girl, just because he played as one and was really into healing and had the nerve to complain to me that my 'wife' let him die when we were doing a world boss.

IoNonSoEVero
09.27.2017 , 02:29 PM | #42
Quote: Originally Posted by Iceslasher View Post
Absolutely in a nutshell, I had some idiot tell me that women only play mmo's to "FIND a man or Support their man" They do NOT tank or dps they only heal" no joke this was about 20 years ago in a different game, this is why I was so pleased when swtor came out and there was actually female toons..with female romance companions...sadly my first toon was a warrior so i thought hey republic won't have that issue with betrayal..i tried a trooper...bad choice but the stories were really good and no i was NEVER a healer. Point is...we enjoy the game itself..i just keep thinking ...do the devs have that awful mind set from 20 years ago??? That we can't play nm my raid group is evenly divided 4 men and 4 women ...1 woman tank, 1 man, srsly...no one holds our hand..we just want to be treated fairly . Plus I think the LGBTQ finally having romance options is Awesome..it's about time but are they also going to have to go through what we have been dealing with for years??
Thank you for supporting the LGBTQ community here.

Ditto. The old mindsets run deep and it is unfortunate. I remember being told that girls don't play video games back when I was a kid playing Nintendo....I was getting my scores in Nintendo Power and there were plenty of other girls' names there, too. Same with comics and Star Wars. At places like Comic and Sci-fi conventions there are tons of women and no, they aren't just there for the heck of it. It is time they were not ignored.

And no, none of my SWTOR characters heal. DPS is my friend.

ZombieMarkTwain
09.27.2017 , 02:58 PM | #43
This is only "Mostly" true for the original 1-50 Storyline and companions included therein. You have to realize that the devs made each character with a possible romance, only sometimes giving them multiple options. This issue isn't something that is easily resolved now. (Considering the layers of dust that have accumulated on the antique 1-50 Storyline.) However, I think they've been incredibly fair with newer content. Though I would've loved the chance to romance Arcann on a female Sith. Dominate that little bastard.

Lunafox
09.27.2017 , 04:17 PM | #44
Quote: Originally Posted by ZombieMarkTwain View Post
This is only "Mostly" true for the original 1-50 Storyline and companions included therein. You have to realize that the devs made each character with a possible romance, only sometimes giving them multiple options. This issue isn't something that is easily resolved now. (Considering the layers of dust that have accumulated on the antique 1-50 Storyline.) However, I think they've been incredibly fair with newer content. Though I would've loved the chance to romance Arcann on a female Sith. Dominate that little bastard.
I'm not so sure about that. Lana gets entirely too much screen time, and she's always hovering around my female toon who romances Theron...rather than Theron, who I'd welcome hovering over me. The preference is still given to Lana by the devs.

Iceslasher
09.27.2017 , 07:52 PM | #45
Quote: Originally Posted by Lunafox View Post
I'm not so sure about that. Lana gets entirely too much screen time, and she's always hovering around my female toon who romances Theron...rather than Theron, who I'd welcome hovering over me. The preference is still given to Lana by the devs.
Yep, I agree 100% and if you notice when you play a pub toon he isn't too interested in your female toon not like your imp one...flashback to Rishi, Imp toon , he is right there to greet you with Lana, Pub toon, nowhere to be found PLUS not as many flirts for the pub side... at least on Rishi ..kind of bothersome seeing as the fail romances are all on the pub side at least on imp we have Torian.

Drachenfel
09.28.2017 , 05:36 AM | #46
Okay, let me gets this right? This game has women in power, strong ones, weak ones, well rounded, pure, evil, pretty much every part of the spectrum. And now bioware hates women because they don't give enough attractive guys to romanace or flirt options? Really? Yeah, guess they had their priorities screwed up.

RikuvonDrake
09.28.2017 , 06:27 AM | #47
Quote: Originally Posted by Drachenfel View Post
Okay, let me gets this right? This game has women in power, strong ones, weak ones, well rounded, pure, evil, pretty much every part of the spectrum. And now bioware hates women because they don't give enough attractive guys to romanace or flirt options? Really? Yeah, guess they had their priorities screwed up.
It's interesting really, people totally neglect the fact that Bioware story writing since a long time has been a pioneer when it comes to writing with a focus on equality and multiple options as well as LGBT, something they got a lot of criticism as well as support for. It's quite a sad reality when a company such as Bioware get **** on for not doing enough in a controversial field where they are one of the leaders in, people these days get offended by everything

Bloodworthy - Tomb of Freedon Nadd - The Red Eclipse - Darth Malgus

IoNonSoEVero
09.28.2017 , 11:28 AM | #48
Quote: Originally Posted by RikuvonDrake View Post
It's interesting really, people totally neglect the fact that Bioware story writing since a long time has been a pioneer when it comes to writing with a focus on equality and multiple options as well as LGBT, something they got a lot of criticism as well as support for. It's quite a sad reality when a company such as Bioware get **** on for not doing enough in a controversial field where they are one of the leaders in, people these days get offended by everything
I don't think anyone here has disagreed with the fact that Bioware has been a leader in creating many strong female characters and incorporating them into the storylines, that they have improved in their handling of LGBTQ characters in SWTOR, or that they certainly do a lot with LGBTQ characters in other games. What they do there is more than commendable.

However, a company can certainly excel in one area and lag behind in another. While many people are ace or aero, relationships are important to a fair number of others, and they're a big part of most BW games. It's a valid point, IMHO, to compare the way it's been handled for male players/PCs vs. female ones and to point out that the balance sheet isn't in the ladies' favor there.

AdjeYo
09.28.2017 , 02:30 PM | #49
Quote: Originally Posted by IoNonSoEVero View Post
I don't think anyone here has disagreed with the fact that Bioware has been a leader in creating many strong female characters and incorporating them into the storylines, that they have improved in their handling of LGBTQ characters in SWTOR, or that they certainly do a lot with LGBTQ characters in other games. What they do there is more than commendable.

However, a company can certainly excel in one area and lag behind in another. While many people are ace or aero, relationships are important to a fair number of others, and they're a big part of most BW games. It's a valid point, IMHO, to compare the way it's been handled for male players/PCs vs. female ones and to point out that the balance sheet isn't in the ladies' favor there.
I don't think it's as black and white as people in this chat seem to make it out to be. A lot of it is up to personal preference. I personally prefer the romance options for females for Smuggler, Bounty Hunter, Inquisitor (if Dark side) and Agent (Kaliyo annoys me and Temple is just so bland).

They even made sure every character of every gender had at least one romance option (with only two getting two options and one of them only if they're a dark side character).

And since Makeb they've made sure all new romances and flirts (iirc) are gender neutral. I think this is hardly something you can criticize Bioware on

grania
09.28.2017 , 09:04 PM | #50
Quote:
Theron was the one bright beacon of happiness and was a gift to the female and gay male player base. He was truly exceptional and now it seems he's being taken away through the story. I don't want to get into another horse beating match like on General, so I guess we'll have to see how that turns out, but I'm pretty sure they chose HIM because they thought there were more guys who play and would get mad and quit if precious Lana was made the traitor.
Personally, I'm numb to the Theron betrayal. I couldn't be any more disappointed in the current story than I already am, with Quinn's uninspired reunion and the fact that all of our original, unique LIs are now dead (or will be when and if they return.)

After all those months of hype - the screenshots BW posted, the tweets, the polls on facebook, etc etc etc, and after all the years of waiting since the vanilla game just to hear my companions voices again, and all the posts I've made since the very beginning regarding my love for the warrior story/Quinn romance, they couldn't possibly hurt me more with their shoddy, oblivious storytelling than they already have.

But I've one quick point to make about Theron and his.. very special episode. I'm not a Game of Thrones fan. Never have been and never will be. I play, and pay for, SW:TOR. Judging by the reaction this storyline has received, I'm not the only one who didn't sign on for GoT style narrative torment.

-'--,--##

##--,--'-