Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Dark v light tokens?

Mashugana
09.23.2017 , 01:13 PM | #1
How do you get these? It looks like you get them if you earn a command level while your side is in victory state. That feels random - I can't really control the victory state or when I level so I do not know how to hunt/grind tokens

Do I have the mechanic wrong?

Thankd

psandak
09.23.2017 , 01:19 PM | #2
Quote: Originally Posted by Mashugana View Post
How do you get these? It looks like you get them if you earn a command level while your side is in victory state. That feels random - I can't really control the victory state or when I level so I do not know how to hunt/grind tokens

Do I have the mechanic wrong?

Thankd
That is how the mechanic works. Sorry to disappoint, but there is no way to hunt/grind these tokens. The best way to "grind" them is when serendipity is in your favor: you are online and your character's side is in a victory state, get as many CXP levels as you can with that character.

That said, you'd be surprised how fast you can get the tokens, if you play with any consistency.

Lastly, in all candor, the stuff you can get with the tokens ain't that great; there is nothing from the vendor that is "OMG I MUST HAVE THIS NAU!!!!"
The Ortzid Legacy on The Harbinger
Car'beerd (Guardian) Dalkery (Scoundrel) Blairnah (Sage) Daellia (Merc) and 11 other characters
Understanding Crew Skills / High End Schematics / Best Crew Skills / Crew Skill Money Making / Reverse Engineering Rules / SWTOR Story to date

Mashugana
09.23.2017 , 01:25 PM | #3
Got it - thanks

Adric_the_Red
09.23.2017 , 05:23 PM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by Mashugana View Post
It looks like you get them if you earn a command level while your side is in victory state.
Your side doesn't have to be in the "victory state", just "ahead" in the DvL conflict. If you are fighting for the Light side, and the indicator shows Light 1 or higher, you will get a token when you level, no need to wait for the one hour after your side gets a "victory" (Light 5).
"Your deaths are useless if they do not inform". -- The Shroud
My referral link. Click for free stuff.

JediQuaker
09.24.2017 , 09:04 AM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by psandak View Post
Lastly, in all candor, the stuff you can get with the tokens ain't that great; there is nothing from the vendor that is "OMG I MUST HAVE THIS NAU!!!!"
There are a couple of nice speeders. Some of the armor is interesting. Most of the stuff is BtL so you can transfer it to other alts.

PiiTarr
09.24.2017 , 02:01 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by JediQuaker View Post
There are a couple of nice speeders. Some of the armor is interesting. Most of the stuff is BtL so you can transfer it to other alts.
I had a very difficult time finding anything I wanted to get from that vendor, even with alts in mind, so the appeal of the items really is subjective. Also, the alignment requirement for the items means you can transfer them only to select alts. I thought of giving the pets to a specific alt (one that has the majority of the pets I've unlocked) then remembered they were neutral, so I couldn't have them use the DvL pets until I did something to change their alignment.

psandak
09.24.2017 , 02:05 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by JediQuaker View Post
"Nice" and "interesting" vs "Gotta have it" are very different things
The Ortzid Legacy on The Harbinger
Car'beerd (Guardian) Dalkery (Scoundrel) Blairnah (Sage) Daellia (Merc) and 11 other characters
Understanding Crew Skills / High End Schematics / Best Crew Skills / Crew Skill Money Making / Reverse Engineering Rules / SWTOR Story to date

mrwayn
09.25.2017 , 04:01 AM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by Adric_the_Red View Post
Your side doesn't have to be in the "victory state", just "ahead" in the DvL conflict. If you are fighting for the Light side, and the indicator shows Light 1 or higher, you will get a token when you level, no need to wait for the one hour after your side gets a "victory" (Light 5).
This is not generally true. On most of my characters the side i'm supporting does actually need to be in a victorious state to earn tokens. If I'm lightside and it's light 2 f.e., I will not get any tokens for leveling up a cxp-rank. Reading the dev-posts from pre/early 5.0 I think this is actually the way it's supposed to be. However, sometimes on some characters I do in fact gain tokens when my side is ahead, but not in a victorious state yet. I consider that to be a bug (but since nobody really cares about these tokens anyway, I don't expect a fix).
You want free stuff? This is my referal link: http://www.swtor.com/r/CfpyNm

phalczen
09.25.2017 , 04:42 AM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by mrwayn View Post
This is not generally true. On most of my characters the side i'm supporting does actually need to be in a victorious state to earn tokens. If I'm lightside and it's light 2 f.e., I will not get any tokens for leveling up a cxp-rank. Reading the dev-posts from pre/early 5.0 I think this is actually the way it's supposed to be. However, sometimes on some characters I do in fact gain tokens when my side is ahead, but not in a victorious state yet. I consider that to be a bug (but since nobody really cares about these tokens anyway, I don't expect a fix).
Actually, you are incorrect. I don't know how to explain your perceptions, but I can say with absolute certainty that with every single level 70 character I have, if that character is at least Light I, and I level up a command rank while the server light 1-light 5, I will get a token. You absolutely do not have to be in a victory state and this is definitely working as intended because you have mis read the dev posts. Again, I cannot explain your perception but I am certain I get the tokens. As recently as yesterday in fact.

OP, the other time you can earn tokens is if you defeat one of the special world bosses that spawn during the victory state if you are of the opposite alignment. For example, if Dark is victorious, and you get an ops group together and kill some of the dark side world bosses, and you are light sided, you will earn light tokens.
If you think I've made a good contribution with this post, I kindly ask that you use my Refer a Friend link! Here is more information about the program.

mrwayn
09.25.2017 , 05:25 AM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by phalczen View Post
Actually, you are incorrect. I don't know how to explain your perceptions, but I can say with absolute certainty that with every single level 70 character I have, if that character is at least Light I, and I level up a command rank while the server light 1-light 5, I will get a token. You absolutely do not have to be in a victory state and this is definitely working as intended because you have mis read the dev posts. Again, I cannot explain your perception but I am certain I get the tokens. As recently as yesterday in fact.
It's not a perception, it's a fact (for my characters). I'm 100% certain, that I don't get tokens if there is no light/dark V on most of my characters. Either it's a bug on my end and I should also gain tokens if my side is ahead, or it's a bug on your end and you should not be gaining tokens unless it's light/dark V. I don't know which it is for sure.
You want free stuff? This is my referal link: http://www.swtor.com/r/CfpyNm