Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

dps should not have guard

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
dps should not have guard

KnightTyler
10.23.2017 , 08:52 PM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by Aulus_Claudius View Post
Guard was never a part of DD spec identity, and it takes away from a tank's identity and role that they can do this with no sacrifice. I was fine with them guarding back when they had to give up DPS to do it, but now it's become a plague.

I play full tank, I will always play full tank with tank gear regardless of current balance and refuse to skank, so for me it very much infringes upon my identity in PvP when I can no longer guard switch because a bunch of DDs have given individual guards out to all the healers. Nothing tilts me more in this game than going to switch guard and some idiot DD already guarded someone and didn't bother to check that his team has a tank, and it's contributed to my almost abandoning PvP entirely.

The rest of the tank's job remains unchanged - taunt the appropriate targets on cooldown, stun and generally annoy healers so they can't do their jobs, Guardian Leap allies under attack on cooldown. However guard switch was always a peculiarity of SWTOR PvP tanking, and one which sets it apart from the likes of WoW, and it's sad to see it compromised like this. The best I can do now is request that DDs leave the guard button alone when I'm or another tank is in the area and hope they listen.
Very well said, your post was.
CE Owner - Subscriber since Day 1 - Arbitrator of <Anchor> on The Shadowlands

doohickeyexpress
11.18.2017 , 01:32 PM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by BillyMayesHere View Post
by removing class stances u ruined the game by letting dps have guard....

a dps has no business having a guard that is for tanks only.. fix the game you broke
The game seems to work.

Haha jk I'm not going to be an arrogant ******e.

I'm fine with DPS having a guard!
FREE week of subscription!
Rewards for you and me. Activate my referral link today for UNLIMITED POWER!
http://www.swtor.com/r/mf38Jz

Mephesh
11.20.2017 , 06:05 PM | #23
Dps having guard makes the tank role obsolete at times. Tanks still have their role, but are less effecive and less useful than before. Swtor is following that ugly trend that all MMORPGs these days do, namely making Tanks useless.
I could list you 10 MMOs where tank classes are not needed anymore, dunno if thats okay with the forum rules tho.

Skilled healers actually only need guard and then they can heal up whatever, with DPS actually driving some good damage instead of tanks. In Healer + Guard Dps vs. Healer + Tank, the team with the DPS wins because the tank will eventually run out of cooldowns and then just get bursted down, focusing much more on staying alive than on doing damage, meanwhile the DPS can just continue to use low cooldown damage skills as an infinite ressource.

Remove that guard from DPS, Bioware!

KendraP
11.21.2017 , 12:32 AM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by Mephesh View Post
Dps having guard makes the tank role obsolete at times. Tanks still have their role, but are less effecive and less useful than before. Swtor is following that ugly trend that all MMORPGs these days do, namely making Tanks useless.
I could list you 10 MMOs where tank classes are not needed anymore, dunno if thats okay with the forum rules tho.

Skilled healers actually only need guard and then they can heal up whatever, with DPS actually driving some good damage instead of tanks. In Healer + Guard Dps vs. Healer + Tank, the team with the DPS wins because the tank will eventually run out of cooldowns and then just get bursted down, focusing much more on staying alive than on doing damage, meanwhile the DPS can just continue to use low cooldown damage skills as an infinite ressource.

Remove that guard from DPS, Bioware!
I will say one thing. If a dps throws up a guard just squish him. Dps specs of tank capable classes are hardly in a place where they want to be taking more damage.

On the other hand, as a tank watching 2 people die because one had the other guarded so I couldn't guard either of them is like the fastest way to piss me off.

LordFell
11.21.2017 , 01:57 AM | #25
Another instance of PvP players wanting changes to the game which change the way I PvE.

Back yourself up.

I play (as PvE) my Hatred Assassin as a hybrid Tank... I recently switched to a gear set with a Focus, but mostly I've been running with a Shield. I haven't done much group content with this character yet (only level 50 or so) because... why would I... but I did go World Boss hunting, and we found it useful when the boss in question spawned adds to have an "off tank" to sweep up the adds. And, because Assassins (regardless of their spec) have Tank utility... I feel entirely justified as playing my character the way I want to play my character (and that's a Tanky build).

...what I would prefer to see, is a return to giving the players in a Hybrid role a choice of their stance. Normally, Deception is Surging Charge, Hatred is Lightning and Shadow is Dark Charge... give me the choice of the clearly Tankier Dark Charge for when I need to increase my defense, and Lightning Charge for when I need to DPS.

And, this is something that is in WoW, if you want to compare classes (or, it used to be, at least as recently as Pandaria). I totally remember doing a Raid, and seeing that the main tank was about to drop. I'm on a Fury Warrior. I Taunted the boss, popped all my defensive cooldowns ... and then all my offensive cooldowns. I knew I was going to die pretty quick, but I did save the Raid.

SteveTheCynic
11.21.2017 , 07:49 AM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by LordFell View Post
...what I would prefer to see, is a return to giving the players in a Hybrid role a choice of their stance. Normally, Deception is Surging Charge, Hatred is Lightning and Shadow is Dark Charge... give me the choice of the clearly Tankier Dark Charge for when I need to increase my defense, and Lightning Charge for when I need to DPS.
That rather presumes that they *want* to allow players to have hybrid roles. All the evidence since Disciplines were introduced in 3.0 is that they don't want that.
http://www.swtor.com/r/Hg3sV2
Buda-buda-buda-buda-buda-buda-CHING!
PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW!
To go to Belsavis, you must go to Belsavis.

reppaz
11.21.2017 , 09:16 AM | #27
Then DPS should not be able to off heal
End of story.

RikuvonDrake
11.21.2017 , 09:46 AM | #28
Quote: Originally Posted by reppaz View Post
End of story.
How does that make any sense at all? Dwt classes can use guard and taunts, Dwhclasses can offheal, both are advantages in certain situations.

Bloodworthy - Tomb of Freedon Nadd - The Red Eclipse - Darth Malgus

LordFell
11.22.2017 , 05:22 PM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by SteveTheCynic View Post
That rather presumes that they *want* to allow players to have hybrid roles. All the evidence since Disciplines were introduced in 3.0 is that they don't want that.
If they didn't want to support Hybrid tanks, they shouldn't have let me keep the ability to equip shields, use guard, plus Taunt and Mass Taunt.

Quote: Originally Posted by reppaz View Post
End of story.
Oh noes. More hybridization.
...main-healed a World Boss on a Scrapper Scoundrel. Man, that was a rough fight. Would not recommend.

AdjeYo
11.23.2017 , 04:17 PM | #30
Quote: Originally Posted by LordFell View Post
If they didn't want to support Hybrid tanks, they shouldn't have let me keep the ability to equip shields, use guard, plus Taunt and Mass Taunt.
Wouldn't try to use Mass taunt on a dps spec, it's your threath drop if you're not in tank spec