Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

dps should not have guard

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
dps should not have guard

BillyMayesHere
09.20.2017 , 01:16 AM | #1
by removing class stances u ruined the game by letting dps have guard....

a dps has no business having a guard that is for tanks only.. fix the game you broke

RikuvonDrake
09.20.2017 , 01:30 AM | #2
Most tanks are not using guard correctly anyway so I fully support giving DPS:ers guard, in particular for PvP but even for PvE it's very helpful in multiple situations to enable DPS:ers to guard other players. I think your lack of understanding about how tanks, dps and guards work prevent you from realizing the improvement this change has made to swtor.

Bloodworthy - Tomb of Freedon Nadd - The Red Eclipse - Darth Malgus

SteveTheCynic
09.20.2017 , 04:21 AM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by BillyMayesHere View Post

a dps has no business having a guard that is for tanks only.. fix the game you broke
They didn't remove class stances. They made the class stances passive and automatic and tied to the correct discipline. (Only tank VGs have Ion Cell, etc.)

And the DPS specs that now have guard have always had guard, or at least since 3.0 did away with skill trees.
http://www.swtor.com/r/Hg3sV2
Buda-buda-buda-buda-buda-buda-CHING!
PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW!
To go to Belsavis, you must go to Belsavis.

supertimtaf
09.20.2017 , 06:17 AM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by SteveTheCynic View Post
They didn't remove class stances. They made the class stances passive and automatic and tied to the correct discipline. (Only tank VGs have Ion Cell, etc.)

And the DPS specs that now have guard have always had guard, or at least since 3.0 did away with skill trees.
True, I remember at the time switching from surging charge into Dark Charge to apply guard on a healer that was in a bad spot. Now they made it in a way that you don't need anymore to switch stance to do it.
It has pro and cons
Now you won't loose dps or miss a specific proc given by your stance
But you'll take more damage than before when guarding because you don't have anymore the passives of the tank stance.
It's a choice, a good one, except that maybe guard should be more effective when used by a tank.
Eliadil - Darkness Assassin Darth Malgus

Feel free to use my referal link if you liked my help ! Free stuff for you and me !

BillyMayesHere
09.20.2017 , 02:06 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by RikuvonDrake View Post
Most tanks are not using guard correctly anyway so I fully support giving DPS:ers guard, in particular for PvP but even for PvE it's very helpful in multiple situations to enable DPS:ers to guard other players. I think your lack of understanding about how tanks, dps and guards work prevent you from realizing the improvement this change has made to swtor.
I do not appreciate your unwarranted insults.

in pvp there is no reason for a dps to have guard... they are a dps.. yes they can taunt and reduce damage but having the guard ability has no place in a dps tool kit.. it does however fit in a tank's tool kit. notice how a dps aoe taunt is its agro drop

I have 30+ toons all 65+ I know all the classes.. so I'm curious how you decide to make any remarks about my "understanding about how tanks, dps and guards work ."

and understand how players are abusing guard in pvp ......exploit early exploit often I think the saying is.

also there is no reason for a dps to have the guard ability in PVE.. only reason would be a crutch that encourages poor/bad gameplay practices

if tanks cant hold agro that is part dps not agro dropping and part a tank improperly weaving his taunts into his rotation/opener...

tip to you is to not make baseless insults about someone you don't even know .. just makes you look bad tbh

KendraP
09.20.2017 , 07:39 PM | #6
While I am against dps having guard because it takes away from my purpose as a tank, I do feel like commenting on some other comments here. Primarily as a tank holding aggro is my job. Yes dps can and should assist by aggro dumping and so on, but fundamentally holding aggro is a tank issue. Just like dps checks are primarily a dps issue. A tank can help dps but provided he's not doing pathetic no one is going to blame a tank for an enrage. The same goes for dps and pulling threat. Provided they're being complete idiots (i.e. taunting the boss on purpose without pre-planning with the tank or pulling before the tank on purpose, etc) holding aggro is primarily a tank concern

RikuvonDrake
09.20.2017 , 08:57 PM | #7

*Lots of text without punctuation, paragraphs or any arguments over here*
My intention wasn't to insult you, it was simply a statement on what I perceived to be a lack of understanding for how guard enhances the performance of DPS players in primarily PvP, but just as much in PvE. A lot of people have classes at max level, even in full 248 and CXP 300, multiple of them are not playing their classes even close to their full potential or understand how to correctly use their cooldowns and abilities. Being a jack of all trades but master of none is not a credential I see as helping your case in this situation.

For DPS in PvE, primarily guard, but taunt just as well are both useful tools which can really help the group if used correctly. A group will have at least two guards by default, however, on multiple bossfights, it helps to direct damage towards specific DPS to make use of Into the Fray/Energy Shield and other passives/cooldowns. Additionally, if you have a DPS taunting an add or a boss, guard helps and decreased threat generation is irrelevant since the DPS is using taunt. That is for PvE, as illustrated there are several benefits for a group and that is without even considering the benefits for a 16man group where this becomes even more of a benefit.

For PvP, the guard aspect can be a problem and requires a bit more of finesse but perhaps it's easier illustrated how DPS are able to benefit from guard. Using it to protect the healer helps spread out burst damage which could have killed the healer if not shared. For a situation where it's two DPS fight two or more targets, it helps as well as it spreads out the damage which increases the Time2Kill which in turn improves the damage they are able to deal.

I apologize for what you perceived to be an insult, but it remains clear to me that you lack quite a bit in knowledge and understanding of how a DPS using guard can be helpful for multiple situations both in PvP and PvE. I, however, hope that this post has helped towards improving that.

Bloodworthy - Tomb of Freedon Nadd - The Red Eclipse - Darth Malgus

SeCKSEgai
09.20.2017 , 09:14 PM | #8

Dps having a guard is pretty meaningless and more likely was intended for solo play with companion.

Plenty of things have been "broken", but damage roles having a guard shouldn't be the complaint to be voicing.
Réiyn - Maryss - Rölánd - Monéy - Retrocide - Reiyñ

Rélentless - Reíyn - Rölañd - Tàtiana

AdjeYo
09.21.2017 , 01:55 AM | #9
I feel dps having guard isn't broken per se. It isn't that powerful, in PvE you'll already have two people with guard anyways meaning you can always guard those who really need it. Not to mention you can't be guarded when guarding.
In PvP it's slightly more powerful, but quite often it's just a way to die really quickly. Though it can be useful to guard a healer.

That said, I think it's a bit odd for any dps class to have guard, it doesn't really fit thematically in my opinion.

KendraP
09.21.2017 , 10:04 AM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by AdjeYo View Post
I feel dps having guard isn't broken per se. It isn't that powerful, in PvE you'll already have two people with guard anyways meaning you can always guard those who really need it. Not to mention you can't be guarded when guarding.
In PvP it's slightly more powerful, but quite often it's just a way to die really quickly. Though it can be useful to guard a healer.

That said, I think it's a bit odd for any dps class to have guard, it doesn't really fit thematically in my opinion.
This pretty much. On the pve front sure you have an extra guard, that then can't be guarded himself. In PvP it really is a faster way to die. See that dps guardian guarding someone? Smoosh him.

I don't like dps guarding because in PvP it's my primary purpose as a tank. Seriously what else am I accomplishing if not protecting my team?