Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

I'm pissed(a little "feedback" for Bioware and EA)

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion > Off-Topic
I'm pissed(a little "feedback" for Bioware and EA)

Qouivandes
09.14.2017 , 12:53 PM | #11
i built my PC in 2011 specifically to play this game and, to date, the only upgrades i have made were:
--more RAM
--better cooling

i did happen to goof up my computer last summer when a fleck of paste floated off my old fan and landed inside one of the CPU sockets. i cant tell you how effin long it took me to figure that one out. I used a magnifying glass and a flashlight and checked each socket...all because someone had mentioned that they had gotten some paste in one of the sockets on a website. i thought i burned the thing out.

regardless, i dont have issues in game with performance. i keep my shadows down enough but high enough to enjoy the visuals; and the only time i did see an issue was this past weekend in a voidstar match. ididnt think my computer could handle that many sparkly AOEs at once. they were never ending. i ended up standing by the door and fought anyone who came within lightsaber range. It is funny if you can picture it in your head.

last year before...teenagers and medicals...i did some research and it was suggested that i replace my old 560Ti for a 1060 until i get the funds together to build a new rig. the system could handle it and have a better performance margin...or so i gathered. when i do rebuild, though, i will go intel rather than amd. replacing my cpu, at best, so i have read, with what is available for my board would not see much of a difference in how this game is played. i have read that replacing the GPU would help (as noted above)...especially so that i can get back into my second love--fallout--without fretting over whether i was burning my card out or not.

suggestions, though, is to check your settings. if you're going into PvP matches you really dont need shadows at all. knock some of your other graphics down a bit as well. you can move them back up once you're done. and get more ram. i have more than i will ever use--32g, but getting that sent me on journey that had me delving into liquid cooling. it was fun and with replacing fans the green monster is kicking strong nearly six years later.
*.**.* The Cer'qeuil Legacy *.**.*
*.*.* Ebon Hawk *. *.*
. This is my referral link. We both get some goodies so feel free to click and earn

beattlebilly
09.14.2017 , 12:57 PM | #12
What's your video settings? I find turning off bloom and shadows improves FPS no matter where you're at. Along with having PC components that are compatible.
Star Forge Pacific Trident GlobalJundland Biscuits and Gravy
Boy, it sure would be nice if we had some grenades, don't you think?
http://www.swtor.com/r/pblkhy

orangenee
09.14.2017 , 02:47 PM | #13
There's a funny thing with my ailing rig. Putting the textures on high instead of low IMPROVES the frame rate.

Sadly it doesn't stop the Agent holoterminal crapping out every convo.....
SWTOR Referral link: http://www.swtor.com/r/Kqsyhb #FreeMalgus #MarrReborn

Eshvara
09.14.2017 , 03:57 PM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by TUXs View Post
Why do you feel the need to bully anyone who posts an issue? He NEVER asked for this. He's a paying customer who's simply frustrated that what he did, didn't help...who are you to bully him exactly?
Agreed, hopefully this can remain a place where people won't hesitate to ask for help.
Hairy Co-pilot.
👀

Xargas
09.15.2017 , 02:48 AM | #15
post's edited for those who were wondering about the specs

-JE-BLAZAR-
09.17.2017 , 03:18 PM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by Xargas View Post
I was playing this game knowing that fps in warzones is terrible. But I had an additional income coming in, so I waited till I can buy a new CPU, since MMOs are CPU intensive and I thought it would help. So I bought a new CPU today, installed it and entered a warzone, and FPS WAS STILL TERRIBLE. C'mon company dudes, the game is awesome but I have to leave it in favor of better coded MMOs that don't lag because all you do is advance the story. How about to put a little love in the performance of the game? I'm sure I'm not the only one who saw what a sucky sucky FPS you have here and left the game, EA and Bioware make excellent games and how you can't handle this single project eludes me. Just wanted to put my two cents into what's wrong with the game. I hope you will fix it, but until then..... Bye Bye

EDIT: Thanks to all who wants to help, but I came to conclusion that it's useless, I did all the tweaking, searched the forums and all that but nothing helped. Here are my specs:

AMD FX 8350 Eight Core Processor
Nvidia GeForce GTX 550 Ti
8GB DDR3 RAM

I think it's enough to see that my rig is not a problem, I play ESO on high settings without so much as a hick up, if I was the only one pointing out the problem I would think maybe it is me, but posts like mine are all over the internet.
Hey! I just read your post, your cpu is of decent quality not really superb, this amd of yours is more like an i5 cpu from intel from time to time, but it can run just as fast as an i7 when the cpu is optimized or optimized tasks are performed. But tbh, your cpu should be able to handle swtor with ease. And it is not the true problem with your pc, it is the graphic card. It is an 2011 model. And since last year in 5.0 update, and afther that, the engine focus has shifted now more to the gpu instead of cpu, they changed the drawdistance around you, you do not load anymore eveyrthing around you anymore (even what you do not see) but only what is right in front of you. They hoped by doing this that the cpu would be less pressured (what a lot of people complaint about) and let then the gpu handle also a bit more of this burden, but tbh it actually led to that people now see npc's being loaded from 90% angle position when your view changes, or that npc's and the graphic card can not handle all the data that needs to be collected and results with an npc loading data like an teared npc on the screen for a split second, and fps drop is also caused by this, but also about the huge database of clothing/character customizations it needs to collect and display for every player. Anyways point is, I understand your problem and you are upset, but to fix most of your problem is by buying an gpu afther 2015, the game is not an 2011-2012 game anymore, and like I said it is more gpu focussed then it was in the past. So an gpu like above 960 (i forgot the exact number model, but it was above this one) from nividea will do the trick and make it much better for you the gameplay and you can turn on everything to max (but avoid the new shadow redering). In short: your gpu "sucks" try to update it if you can and see if that helps. Best of luck! This is your gpu now for example: (check at the right the list under model list 3 it is that old) https://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA...M.48313.0.html

Ps: Check the list on the right also for what other kind of gpu you should buy also for above 960 gpu from nvidea.

Xargas
09.17.2017 , 08:29 PM | #17
Well, I suspected that my GPU sucks today even for this game, I guess my next purchase gonna be GPU, thanks.

SteveTheCynic
09.18.2017 , 06:12 AM | #18
Silly question for the OP: when you say that the FPS was terrible, can you put a number on that? Some people will say "terrible" or worse if the FPS drops below 60, while others aren't bothered by 20-25. So what is '"terrible"?

(For reference: my PC is 6.5 years old, an i5-760 (four single-thread cores) at 2.8GHz, 8GB RAM, and a NVidia 430GT 1GB graphics card. It gets what I consider to be reasonable FPS, but I'm more in the 20-25 camp than the OMGNOTEVEN65 camp. But I turn shadows OFF in SWTOR. On GW2, the shadow engine is not problematic, but I have to turn off reflections instead.)
http://www.swtor.com/r/Hg3sV2
Buda-buda-buda-buda-buda-buda-CHING!
PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW!
To go to Belsavis, you must go to Belsavis.

Xargas
09.19.2017 , 02:43 PM | #19
Post edited with happy news(for me) As to answer previous poster, it was about 10-15. I don't require full 60 fps to enjoy the game but I need at least 40 to enjoy, well, 30 is min I guess.

CKNORTH
09.20.2017 , 11:40 PM | #20
I Decided to try my old PC that has on board AMD Radeon HD 7560D, 4gb of ram, I put in 100GB SSD, running Win 10.

I bought it in 2007 I think. its basically a coffee maker. I am running on a fresh DL of SWTOR and didn't touch default settings of graphics only thing I did do was run in Window mode.. here are SWTOR minimum Specs.

Processor

AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual-Core 4000+ or better or Intel Core 2 Duo Processor 2.0GHz or better

Operating System

Windows XP (Service Pack 3)/Vista/7

RAM

Windows XP: 1.5GB
Windows Vista and Windows 7: 2GB
PCs using a built-in graphical chipset are recommended to have 2GB RAM

Graphics Card

ATI X1800 or better*
nVidia 7800 or better*
Intel 4100 Integrated Graphics or better

to be honest it runs better than my last years PC and far better than my i5. no real issues so far... it is what it is I guess. if anyone has a lower end machine give it a whirl never know. hope this helps
Pre-Order Knight of the Republic

Don't use this Link it's Borked,
Oh Wait! they UnBorked the link! you must Choose, but Choose Wisely!