Is there a point in qing solo for ranked?

Montanaa

Depends on you really. Regs you have a fair shake at winning. Ranked is serious business though.

The only way to get better though, as with most things, is to play it.

Just turn gen chat off though if you dislike salty potatoes. Not as bad in regs but still happens.

It's frustrating for sure. Typically its about survival for 1 guy on each team and top dmg for the other 3 on each team. If you dont want the focus make sure you 1) dont play focus-first classes and 2) don't get known to be an easy target.

The toxicity is bad but its bad anywhere on the internet where PVP and communication coexist in a video game. Just ignore them.

Whats most frustrating for me is the 3 people DPSing not peeling/helping the 1 guy getting focused. I think thats what wins/losses often boil down to in a same-skill situation.

Or do you just lose constantly?

cheers

No there isn't.

First of all, even in the very best of cases, 3/4 of your team is random which means your score is out of your control and has nothing to do with your skill.

Second, the very best of cases never occurs.

Form a PuG and do grouped, at least in that case you know you won't have deserters of afkers.

No there isn't.

First of all, even in the very best of cases, 3/4 of your team is random which means your score is out of your control and has nothing to do with your skill.

Second, the very best of cases never occurs.

Form a PuG and do grouped, at least in that case you know you won't have deserters of afkers.

If this is the case how come some players get to 2k rating or gold in general ? Isn't the same random stuff happen to them too ?

If this is the case how come some players get to 2k rating or gold in general ? Isn't the same random stuff happen to them too ?

Win traders. Premades in the solo queue. Etc.

Besides even if you miraculously get a good score, the assumption is that all good scores obtained in solo cheated.

Just more reasons to queue grouped really, solo should be removed.

with solo ranked you need to know when to stop.

if you're losing more than wining that day just stop queuing. do regs or play something else.

even matches? keep at it, sure you're losing matches but your also winning as well. chances are you will improve your rating that day or at least keep at about the same.

win streak? good, but remember! it won't last. after 6-7 wins in a row, your probably going to lose the 8 9 and 10th game (at least in my experience:p)

As you seem to suspect, the same random stuff does happen to them. But they keep playing and keep pulling their weight and are able to get good rating as a result.

The impact of luck gets smaller and smaller as your sample size of games played gets larger. This is why good players consistently climb rating.

Win traders. Premades in the solo queue. Etc.

Besides even if you miraculously get a good score, the assumption is that all good scores obtained in solo cheated.

Just more reasons to queue grouped really, solo should be removed.

Oh boy who would have guessed foambreaker would post the same baseless nonsense in this solo ranked thread just like he does in every other solo ranked thread?

It does not take a miracle to get tier 1. It is not assumed that those players cheated (speak for yourself, please).

Just stop.

win streak? good, but remember! it won't last. after 6-7 wins in a row, your probably going to lose the 8 9 and 10th game (at least in my experience:p)

gambler's fallacy :p

or anti-gambler's fallacy? either way it's a presumption we are inclined towards but it's not true

Edited by yellow_

with solo ranked you need to know when to stop.

if you're losing more than wining that day just stop queuing. do regs or play something else.

even matches? keep at it, sure you're losing matches but your also winning as well. chances are you will improve your rating that day or at least keep at about the same.

THIS.

Yes.. I gain 100 elo in one day, and lose it all on the next day ? or weekend ? Yeah... I should really stop queing when I start losing. It's called rating management. :rolleyes:

Yes, well to get your ranting and to increase it.

However, I dont get how to do that second part. Tried on 4 toons this season, I though I had the tricks worked out but all 4 toons are now from 1000-1200 rating. Its just simply unbelievable. Its even nights when you get the top players in your team, but we just lose badly. Last night there was this noob jugg, when he was in my team he died in seconds, next match he was against us and he kited and survived us all. Our sorc dps died in seconds.

I guess im a magnet for noobs in solo ranked, I never understand how ppl get such high rating in solo.

Yes, well to get your ranting and to increase it.

However, I dont get how to do that second part. Tried on 4 toons this season, I though I had the tricks worked out but all 4 toons are now from 1000-1200 rating. Its just simply unbelievable. Its even nights when you get the top players in your team, but we just lose badly. Last night there was this noob jugg, when he was in my team he died in seconds, next match he was against us and he kited and survived us all. Our sorc dps died in seconds.

I guess im a magnet for noobs in solo ranked, I never understand how ppl get such high rating in solo.

Yeah... we all seem to get that noob jugg in our team who dies in 5 seconds max yet he somehow becomes a champion when he is in enemy team and can't for the love of god kill him. ;)

Like it has been said before, when this happens, you need to stop queing because you will lose all the rating you gained.

ELO only works in a perfect environment and SWTOR is far from perfect:

• Unbalanced classes (i.e. juggs, pts and sorcs vs. everyone else)
  • No mirror team composition (i.e. 4 mercs vs. 4 juggs)
  • Hard to obtain gear creates huge discrepancies
  • Pops given preference over actual ELO (i.e. +1700 is matched with or against <1000)
  • Wintraders, hackers
  • PVE players are only there for gear

They should scrap it completely and do a simple point system:

If you win you get 10 points and if you lose you get 0 points. Additionally there would also be 1 point for best DPS on both sides, best tank on both sides and best healer on both sides. And whomever took most damage would also get a point.

In this system you would always be going forward and it would reward players who play many matches. Yes it would mean that a player that plays 10000 matches and only wins 700 would still be sitting on at least 7000 points, and he would probably be in the gold Tier despite not being all that good. This would be rare though and honestly it would not be different from wintraders these days.

Again, a perfect ELO system would be preferable, but a simple point system would suit SWTOR better.

Edited by Lundorff

Yeah... we all seem to get that noob jugg in our team who dies in 5 seconds max yet he somehow becomes a champion when he is in enemy team and can't for the love of god kill him. ;)

Like it has been said before, when this happens, you need to stop queing because you will lose all the rating you gained.

Well as I said, with my luck i just que, get some noob, farmer, afker, (havent seen hackers for a long time now) and end up losing, so Im not even actually gaining a rating. I got almost 1300 after initial 10 matches on Mara, but then it went only down :(

Happy to see the thread alive :cool:.

I feel my question wasn't really answered though. Im kinda new to the game....so is there a point in qing solo or am I wasting my time and the time of everyone else?

cheers

Ofc you are not wasting your time, ranked is (if nothing else) very rewarding gear wise too, you get unassembled components which are vital to upgrading gear. You can also learn a lot from the players, tricks you can see only in ranked arenas. Solo ranked has a lot to offer, yet its incredibly RNG on whom you get in team.

Well as I said, with my luck i just que, get some noob, farmer, afker, (havent seen hackers for a long time now) and end up losing, so Im not even actually gaining a rating. I got almost 1300 after initial 10 matches on Mara, but then it went only down :(

You need to stop worrying about your rating. Just play and enjoy the game. Get enough comms to buy the weapons and move on to the next season.

I bet that you are a so called " regstar". Do well in regs but somehow it just doesn't work out for you in ranked. You play on TRE ?

You need to stop worrying about your rating. Just play and enjoy the game. Get enough comms to buy the weapons and move on to the next season.

I bet that you are a so called " regstar". Do well in regs but somehow it just doesn't work out for you in ranked. You play on TRE ?

Well actually no, he's usually quite good in ranked from what I've seen. But... yeah, RNG is exciting. That's fun in a way, BW found another way to make you gear with rng. Still, problem is that this rng is good only when playing some class. I managed to win 200ratings in one night with my sin tank. Then the morning after, I lost every match... because «trauma regulator» or other fun thing. So I got back to 1200 :/

I think I'll rename my merc «heatseeker suppository» next time and I'll q ranked with it. :rolleyes:

As a DPS jugg this sounds strangely familiar. I still recall the match where I was targeted by 2 sins + 1 merc. Needless to say I did not survive more than 30 seconds. But sometimes I manage to survive much longer and even live to the end.

I "always" end up taken at least ~250k damage before dying, but it's wildly random how long I survive.

Examples: https://i.imgur.com/kgXg827.jpg (especially the top left match was neat. Much dps :p)

As a DPS jugg this sounds strangely familiar. I still recall the match where I was targeted by 2 sins + 1 merc. Needless to say I did not survive more than 30 seconds. But sometimes I manage to survive much longer and even live to the end.

I "always" end up taken at least ~250k damage before dying, but it's wildly random how long I survive.

Examples: https://i.imgur.com/kgXg827.jpg (especially the top left match was neat. Much dps :p)

You depend on your team also... If they leave you to die while you are focused by 2 or 3 DPS, then you won't last long. This is the part where good jugg skanks make the difference. They do nothing but kite... kite... until their team kills off everyone and win the match.

The average ranked match is like this sadly. Very little team work.

This is just my experience (and therefore purely subjective), but quite often people who have played regs for ages and perform well can learn ranked relatively soon. Ranked is certainly different, but just having a good knowledge of your class, the pros and cons of others and ability to not panic under pressure goes a long way. Naturally it still takes practice, probably a great deal of it, but when it comes down to it, I'd rather have a regstar on my team than someone who is amazingly good at PvE, but has done just about enough games to acquire the PvP companion.

The first part of your post is on point. Try not to worry about the rating, it'll just distract you. Focus on the positive and keep playing if you enjoy it. :)