Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

so how do you justify your imperial agent....

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore > Spoilers
so how do you justify your imperial agent....

QueenVictoriaII
09.06.2017 , 06:41 PM | #1
...joining the SIS in Act 3?

I'm playing an agent for the first time, I'm still on Taris - so, Act 2 - and the whole brainwashing thing was spoiled for me before I started (or, well, I spoiled it for myself ) but I didn't realize WHO was doing it until I actually played through. I was planning on having my lightside agent defect to the SIS/Republic, the turning point for him being letting Mia go (since he was told to "dispose" of her.)

But now that I've started Act 2, I really can't see justification for an agent defecting. I mean, the brainwashing/conditioning probably wears off/you get rid of it, but still - the SIS was willing to use it against you. Even if it was (I don't know yet) the Empire who put it there, how could you join them? Especially since you come to the SIS as a "defector" in the first place.
hey look a referral link!!

"I became a starship captain so I wouldn't have to do homework."

AKHadeed
09.07.2017 , 12:06 AM | #2
It comes down to whether you trust the Empire. If all the underpants-on-head Sith shenanigans don't turn you off of the Empire entirely, then stay with them. If the 34th time the Empire lets the Agent down gets to you... Then yeah, maybe time to work for the enemy.

(Full disclosure -- I've done an agent for each major path -- Jadus's hand, SIS mole, Imperial Agent, rogue agent serving the Empire independently. My main is "rah rah Empire 5evah", but I liked my "Oh bleeding stars you people are backstabbing idiots screw this I'm playing for blue team" agent a lot.)
Shaaaaaaaaan!

Asmodesu
09.07.2017 , 12:46 AM | #3
Well I have my reasoning for my agent but it looks like you haven't reached far enough for me to spout all the spoilers connected to my Agent's reasons xD I'll wait. I will say it's part in teaching that SiS 'jedi' how to be light again, when a Imp Agent he's wronged over and over teaches him some humility about the whole sordid affair. There is no trust, but she does not think the Empire as a whole is the way to bring peace in the end. (during class story at least).

edit: this is my fav line today
Quote: Originally Posted by AKHadeed View Post
(Full disclosure -- I've done an agent for each major path -- Jadus's hand, SIS mole, Imperial Agent, rogue agent serving the Empire independently. My main is "rah rah Empire 5evah", but I liked my "Oh bleeding stars you people are backstabbing idiots screw this I'm playing for blue team" agent a lot.)

Myrmicus
09.08.2017 , 11:35 AM | #4
My Agent is a loyal but overall nice girl.
How does she copes with the backstabbing nature of the Sith ? Well, she serve the EMPIRE, not some delusional Siths who will end up dead sooner than later. So, a Sith Lord view and treat you like a pawn ? Well, you are a disposable blade in the dark, that's part of the job... do it well enough and you will either become someone to be eliminated for knowing too much or someone that can't be disposed off, because of her usefulness. Doing your job well enough also helps the most cunning Sith to come out on top, while eliminating the weak. Overall, the Empire comes out stronger. Any threat to the Empire should be eliminated one way or another...

Being a spy IS bound to be an awful job, be it for the Empire or the Republic : you will get your hand dirty, only to wash off other people's dirt... The Republic makes it even more vicious than the Empire, because you KNOW that there will be backstabbing in the Empire. The Republic is perhaps as much full of backstabbing, amoral politicians, but they will deny it. You don't have to be cautious with a Sith, you just are, because you know how Siths are. But a politician ? How could you know if he is guenine about being benevolent ?

Dracofish
09.08.2017 , 11:55 AM | #5
I've played through an Agent all the way to Fallen Empire and I got locked out of being able to do certain things...because I didn't realize that it's gated by alignment...which I think is total crap. Now I'm re-rolling another agent practically gagging on being a goody-two-shoes because I'm afraid of getting locked out of stuff. Being Dark doesn't automatically = evil. Hell, half the stuff the Republic does is just as whackadoodle as the Empire's shenanigans. Why gate it behind alignment like that?
Me on Ao3! MelissaGT

Venn_Dras
09.08.2017 , 02:43 PM | #6
My agent wasn't given the option to defect, but did give the Codex to the SIS. In his case, my reasoning was that unlike the Empire; Ardun was upfront about what he was doing and why. Despite everything the agent had done for the Empire it meant nothing. Sith politics I know, but come on! There's also the fact that Ardun showed at least some remorse for what he'd done, Keeper just chalked it up to that's what being a spy's all about. No trust, no loyalty, sorry guys.

Spoiler

Plactus
09.08.2017 , 03:34 PM | #7
Two things, both spoilers.

Spoiler

By the final mission, my agent was done with the Sith and the Empire (not that she sees a difference anymore) and saw defecting to the Republic as her best option for getting out. Regardless of what the Kothe may have done while she was pretending to defect earlier, it's still better than the Empire.

This will be the character where I find out if it's actually possible to
Spoiler

QueenVictoriaII
09.08.2017 , 06:38 PM | #8
I finished Taris two nights ago (I'm on Hoth), so finding out the reasons behind the conditioning was pretty cool, albeit upsetting for my agent to find out, I'm sure.

I'm still not sure if he'll go SIS or stay Empire or go rogue, since apparently that's an option. He's Light II now, so I *think* going the SIS route is possible - I'm just not sure if it fits or not. After all, coming to the realization that they're only using the conditioning to keep the agent from blabbing to the Empire... with the exception of a certain individual, who seems to just be abusing it

I can ALWAYS roll up another agent anyways - I think it's my favorite class
hey look a referral link!!

"I became a starship captain so I wouldn't have to do homework."

Mindelmatrix
09.11.2017 , 08:16 AM | #9
To be fair, the SIS might've used the brainwashing program, but it was the Empire that planted it in the first place. Can't really be surprised that an enemy took advantage of a weakness but can be surprised and resentful that the people who you work for and trust, made that weakness in the first place. On some level, one could be grateful that the weakness was exposed so you could work in removing it before being forced to do something you truly regret. That's how I would think if roleplaying a defector.
Friend referral for extra few days sub: http://www.swtor.com/r/72MTpQ

"I am not cute. I am deadly"

JediAkemi
09.11.2017 , 08:49 AM | #10
My Agent is loyal to the Chiss Ascendancy. Always has been, always will be.
She was Light III at the end of the story and I chose the "ghost agent" ending.
Pretty sure I blew my chance to join the Republic when I took revenge on the SIS Jedi... though I think I let some of the team go... it was a long time ago.