Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Preffered status players and operations

AlrikFassbauer
09.08.2017 , 09:30 AM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by Mubrak View Post
To add some fuel to the fire let's compare some other freemium MMO models:

DDO: ("Have fun, it's free. Want more? rent in bulk or buy what you want, pay extra to win.")
  • Premium (preferred) players who sometimes pay real money are the base, they must buy new classes and expansions with the cartel coins equivalent that also can be earned by playing.
  • VIPs (subscriber) have "free" access to most classes and expansions as long as they are subscribed, and some minor bonuses are only available to them, (XP bonus, longer idle-timer, some QoL improvements). They also get an allowance of real cash-currency, which can be used to buy the things they don't have free access to as well as vanity items, powerful items and improvements to character stats.
  • F2P: If you never paid any money you have a currency limit for low level characters (increases per level and is gone at mid level), Limitations on auction house sales (1 vs. 50 items) and have no customer support and limits on which forums you can write in, but you can still pretty well play with other players (and experience first-hand how well you could do when you paid a few bucks at the cash shop)
DDO was my one and only MMO before SWTOR. So I was new to the kind of MMO SWTOR seems to represent - and DDO is so much different. I quit DDO and switched over to SWTOR late 2012 early 2013. I was in a small guild there until that.

I always played as F2P, but bought the DDO equivalent of SWTOR's "Cartel Coins" several times. Mostly to unlock new adventures/modules or how they are called.

Two points : You can - or at least could - earn those "DDO Points" (that's how I call the DDO equivalent of the SWTOR Cartel Coins) through doing several things, for example by finishing an adventure/module in the highest difficulty. (Everythng is even more instanced there than in SWTOR.)
You can also earn more inventory space through doing things ... although I don't remember anymore what that was, it could have been reputation of a faction.
It is grindy, though, to get those Points.

Loot wa not restricted, and they had treasure chests with loot dedicated to every singly party member ( a bit like it is in SWTOPR now), but if the item was still in the loot chest, you could reassign this item to another party member. It was bound when picked out of the treasure chest, though.

To me, SWTOR was/felt so much more restrictive compared to DDO, but that was my purely personal impression.

Quote: Originally Posted by Mubrak View Post
Too much access to expensive voice-acted single-player stuff, they play trough once and then move on.
I rather think it's the "content locusts" who play through it once and then move on and constantly demand "moar content !"
Complex minds
will create
Complex problems.

AlrikFassbauer
09.08.2017 , 09:52 AM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by merovejec View Post
What I mean is that its like any single player game you buy that does not have any downloadable online features or expansions you pay for! When I played KOTOR I paid for it, played through and was done. I bought KOTOR 2, played through it and was done. You just download Swtor play through it and you are done, but you dont pay.

The fact that you dont get end game is obvious, but F2P basically get a game for free.
What about MUDs ?

Quote: Originally Posted by orangenee View Post
F2P already get the very best part of the game for free, the class stories in their entirety.

That from a business model perspective was a mistake. Look at what happened after launch, players paid the sub fee, finished the stories and bolted never to pay again in a lot of cases.
When I invite friends to my pen & paper role-playing games, they have access to everything as well ... Well, they of course need to make up their own characters, but the adventure I'd provide would be fre for them. Even if it was comung from an official RPG setting book.

Same ith board games. People who participate with my board game have access to everything as well ... dices, figures, theboard as such ...
Complex minds
will create
Complex problems.