Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Preffered status players and operations

Zapminer
09.04.2017 , 07:52 AM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by Threjyan View Post
u clearly have no idea what u are saying about riku - he can be many things, but he is no BW employee.

and tbh, i also agree with Riku´s opinion. it doesnt matter if it 3 ops free for all or all of them - if one wants to play top end game content then sub, so one can help develop the multiplayer aspect of the game.
With THAT logic, good luck devolping any game at all... it'll be hated.

And again, you also clearly don't get my point... because these ops sholud be playable by PREFS, not F2PS. I don't know if you get the difference? Of course you don't: Rich kids/men who spend way too much Money on useless stuff like you clearly don't care about people that are flat broke like me. Keep going that way, and you will be broke, too.

Threjyan
09.04.2017 , 10:20 AM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by Zapminer View Post
With THAT logic, good luck devolping any game at all... it'll be hated.

And again, you also clearly don't get my point... because these ops sholud be playable by PREFS, not F2PS. I don't know if you get the difference? Of course you don't: Rich kids/men who spend way too much Money on useless stuff like you clearly don't care about people that are flat broke like me. Keep going that way, and you will be broke, too.
i didnt said i dont care - but i also belive in working to get what you want - thats what my folks taught me: work, and work hard - nothing in life comes for free.

you have plenty of content in the game u can play - but what i dont understand is why, if someone has a diferent opinion u went on a personal attack?
..The Path Of Excess Leads To The Tower Of Wisdom..

RikuvonDrake
09.04.2017 , 06:25 PM | #13
Yea, I think the combination of immaturity as well as self-interest from Zapminer here clearly illustrates my point, I doubt that you would improve subscribers in-game experience. Add to that an inability to easily access end game gear as well as restrictions in regards to crafting and non-paying players are likely to, despite the bolster, only be dead weights in group finder.

If you consider changing your argument strategy from petty insults and self-interest to how your suggestion will improve subscribers experience, I am sure you would be more likely to get a good discussion going, that said, any change for non-paying players in regards to operation access is unlikely to occur.

Bloodworthy - Tomb of Freedon Nadd - The Red Eclipse - Darth Malgus

Mubrak
09.05.2017 , 02:20 AM | #14
To add some fuel to the fire let's compare some other freemium MMO models:

DDO: ("Have fun, it's free. Want more? rent in bulk or buy what you want, pay extra to win.")
  • Premium (preferred) players who sometimes pay real money are the base, they must buy new classes and expansions with the cartel coins equivalent that also can be earned by playing.
  • VIPs (subscriber) have "free" access to most classes and expansions as long as they are subscribed, and some minor bonuses are only available to them, (XP bonus, longer idle-timer, some QoL improvements). They also get an allowance of real cash-currency, which can be used to buy the things they don't have free access to as well as vanity items, powerful items and improvements to character stats.
  • F2P: If you never paid any money you have a currency limit for low level characters (increases per level and is gone at mid level), Limitations on auction house sales (1 vs. 50 items) and have no customer support and limits on which forums you can write in, but you can still pretty well play with other players (and experience first-hand how well you could do when you paid a few bucks at the cash shop)

ESO: ("Buy and play, Want more? There's extras too. There's also a premium service.")
  • There is no free-to play option you have to buy the game to play. DLCs and Expansions need to be bought separately either in the cash-shop or in retail
  • Plus members (subs) get "free" access to all expansion content as long as they are subscribed, in addition to some extra benefits only available to them, most noteworthy increased bank space and a separate limitless account-wide store for crafting mats. When you are a crafter or hoarder, getting more Inventory space is just as huge as geting rid of the credit limit in SWTOR. Of course subs also get a monthly stipend of the real-cash currency, that can only be used to buy expansions and account-bound vanity items, no way to exchange them for ingame money or items with stats.

SWTOR: ("Have a sneak peek if you must, you stingy freeloader. Pay if you want more, cheapskate.")
  • The standard player is a subscriber, the real-cash shop has only indirect pay-2-win options (trade CM items with other players to earn credits and/or bribe them to carry you thru content that earns you BiS gear.)
  • Unlike the other games, preferred players keep access to all story content they had access to. They are heavily penalized in terms of endgame-mmo content, though. When they used their subscription time to buy all unlocks, they can still play pretty fine, but their credits limit was never adjusted to ingame-inflation, to the effect that they're excluded from most of the ingame economy, and since they can't participate in Ops and have no way of gearing, endgame basically means the end of the game for them, especially as they are locked to their current max level when the level cap is raised.
  • Free players are penalized even more right from the start. Due to their low credit limit and the high inflation they have no way to improve their gaming experience while still being free to play (i.e. buying unlocks from the GTN), they get a huge single player game for free, but really need to love the game to keep sticking around (and subscribe), being locked to level 50 they barely get an idea of what they would gain from subscribing, (aside from getting rid of the most obvious disadvantages).
Tune down reflections to pre 5.5 values!
Move inventory tabs back to the bottom!
Remove the blue glow from useable stronghold objects and decorations!

SteveTheCynic
09.05.2017 , 03:42 AM | #15
@Mulbrak: Your description of SWTOR overlooks a couple of points:
* Not all Preferred players are ex-subscribers. Buying some CCs *once* is enough to make your account Preferred.
* SWTOR's is, indeed, as you semi-hint, a subscription game with a (relatively generous) preview for non-paying players.
* SWTOR is NOT an f2p game with a subscription option.

There's room for debate about whether the evolution of the post-vanilla part of the game has left behind the limits imposed on f2p/preferred accounts. I think a case can be made (I'm not making it, not as such) that the upper limits could reasonably be raised to, say, the equivalent of giving everyone access to RotHC and SoR+Ziost. No KotFE, no progression beyond level 60, and a healthy debate on credit caps, but...
http://www.swtor.com/r/Hg3sV2
Buda-buda-buda-buda-buda-buda-CHING!
PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW!
To go to Belsavis, you must go to Belsavis.

merovejec
09.05.2017 , 06:06 AM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by Zapminer View Post
Either you just don't like prefs, or you're a disguised BioWare employee
ROFL that one got me!!!
Merovejec Merovex Meroveg Merovien Meroven Merovingian
Meroxer Raynarog Ray-narock Raynarock Raynaroc Raynarok
7 days of being a sub, try it! Refferal Link
Achievements before 5.9.2 67040

merovejec
09.05.2017 , 06:11 AM | #17
But seriously, i know what you wanna achieve, but sadly its not possible. The game has come to a point where it needs subs more than ever. Thats why they removed the ops passes in the first place.

You also have to look at what even F2P have access to! They are able to play the Class stories! All 8 of them and that for free! Thats just incredible, when you consider it. You download a game and can play till level 50!! I mean how many online games have that? You mostly end at lvl 20 and have to pay or stop. The original class stories are the best part of the game, yes still!

As for me I would say the F2P/Preffs have too much access to stuff.

Mubrak
09.05.2017 , 06:29 AM | #18
Quote: Originally Posted by merovejec View Post
As for me I would say the F2P/Preffs have too much access to stuff.
Too much access to expensive voice-acted single-player stuff, they play trough once and then move on.
Too little access to repeatable group content where they can A) make the game more enjoyable for subs, B) make friends ingame so they want to stick around, and C) get an impression of what they get out of a sub.

A sub playing together with an F2P becomes awkward very soon even when you start a character together, you outlevel them quickly, and beyond the class story you can only do flashpoints together. Not even PVP works since the F2P will stay forever in the mid bracket.

It's really a bad business model that only works because... Star Wars!
Tune down reflections to pre 5.5 values!
Move inventory tabs back to the bottom!
Remove the blue glow from useable stronghold objects and decorations!

merovejec
09.05.2017 , 07:22 AM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by Mubrak View Post
Too much access to expensive voice-acted single-player stuff, they play trough once and then move on.
Too little access to repeatable group content where they can A) make the game more enjoyable for subs, B) make friends ingame so they want to stick around, and C) get an impression of what they get out of a sub.

A sub playing together with an F2P becomes awkward very soon even when you start a character together, you outlevel them quickly, and beyond the class story you can only do flashpoints together. Not even PVP works since the F2P will stay forever in the mid bracket.

It's really a bad business model that only works because... Star Wars!
What I mean is that its like any single player game you buy that does not have any downloadable online features or expansions you pay for! When I played KOTOR I paid for it, played through and was done. I bought KOTOR 2, played through it and was done. You just download Swtor play through it and you are done, but you dont pay.

The fact that you dont get end game is obvious, but F2P basically get a game for free.

orangenee
09.05.2017 , 09:27 AM | #20
F2P already get the very best part of the game for free, the class stories in their entirety.

That from a business model perspective was a mistake. Look at what happened after launch, players paid the sub fee, finished the stories and bolted never to pay again in a lot of cases.
SWTOR Referral link: http://www.swtor.com/r/Kqsyhb #FreeMalgus #MarrReborn