Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Preffered status players and operations

Zapminer
09.02.2017 , 04:46 AM | #1
Let's get this over with.

Warning: This may be considered spoilers

I think preffered status players sholud be able to play some operations, not all of course.

Eternity Vault and Karagga's Palace. Do I really need to explain why? They are easy, they are quick, and they wolud serve as training or just warm-up.

Tobboro's Courtyard and Heart of Ruin. Some might not consider these "Operations", but they are inside a phase and that puts them as operations. Both are connected to Rise of the Hutt Cartel (Tobboro's Courtyard) and Ziost Storyline (Heart of Ruin). Both of these, like any other expansions, are playable by preffered status players.

Temple of Sacrifice. It's just plain cruel locking this for Prefs. As I said before, prefs can play all expansions... and they also have the "choice" to *SPOILER ALERT* choose between doing the operation or doing the dailies, near the end of Shadow of Revan. It pains to know you don't actually have a choice...

And I know that by this logic, Gods from the Machine sholud be unlocked too, but Gods from the Machine is the big work in progress and it's understandable why lock it for prefs.

Out of 12 operations, including Heart of Ruin, Tobboro's Courtyard, The Rakghoul Nightmare, and Unity Assesment, wolud unlocking 5 be too much? No. Oh wait, BioWare's greedy aren't they...

Mubrak
09.02.2017 , 05:23 AM | #2
Maybe add a weekly unlock to the cartel market? That would help the prefs and satisfy any greed.

In most freemium MMOs the free players are considered content for the paying players, they get full access to pug content so the premium players don't have to wait too long for groups. Content that requires a premade group, vanity stuff and QoL improvements are then locked behind the paywall.
Tune down reflections to pre 5.5 values!
Move inventory tabs back to the bottom!

http://www.swtor.com/r/rszTdG

Zapminer
09.02.2017 , 06:53 AM | #3
We had Ops passes before, but they were removed. They costed about 240 Cartel Coins, not an easy number for prefs to get, so it woludun't really matter. It wolud take 3 Security key months to get that value. 3 months is the amount of "cooldown" prefs have for using refferal links.

Mubrak
09.02.2017 , 08:26 AM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by Zapminer View Post
We had Ops passes before, but they were removed. They costed about 240 Cartel Coins, not an easy number for prefs to get, so it woludun't really matter. It wolud take 3 Security key months to get that value. 3 months is the amount of "cooldown" prefs have for using refferal links.
Some prices are just silly. 90cc for a single-use quicktravel? Come on. 200cc for 10 wazone medpacks and adrenals? Lol. Escrow transfers ceased to be of any use ages ago. But ops passes? Those still sold because subs bought them for their guildies.

I'm not saying that weekly passes should return, just that their removal was worse for the game as a whole than you might think. Any permanent unlocks (free or a reasonable cc price) that would allow f2p and prefered to play together with subs (i.e. be content for them) would be good for the game.
Tune down reflections to pre 5.5 values!
Move inventory tabs back to the bottom!

http://www.swtor.com/r/rszTdG

SteveTheCynic
09.03.2017 , 03:43 AM | #5
Both of these, like any other expansions, are playable by preffered status players.
Not necessarily. You can become preferred (note spelling) by buying five bucks of CCs. If you do this, your level cap remains 50, and you cannot begin either the RotHC line (min 51) OR the SoR line (53).
http://www.swtor.com/r/Hg3sV2
Buda-buda-buda-buda-buda-buda-CHING!
PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW!
To go to Belsavis, you must go to Belsavis.

nyrkverse
09.03.2017 , 05:53 AM | #6
They should just bring back Ops passes. Sure, players or guilds could buy them with in game credits but somebody still had to buy them on the CM for real money to make them available.

It's possible people who used to buy them for in game credits have become subs when they were removed which is to Bioware's liking but many have also just left.
«I'm not cute. I'm deadly»

RikuvonDrake
09.03.2017 , 05:49 PM | #7
I think it's great that non-paying players are restricted from certain content, during earlier patches lots of regular operation players were using the CM items instead of being subbed, with 5.0 many of those subbed due to this restriction being introduced. I think it's positive for the game to have more subscribers and developing more operations should be rewarded, having non-paying players be able to do all content is not good for a game.

At the moment group finder is created via general chat and hardly takes that long to fill up, so I don't really buy the argument that subscribers get quicker groups, they are already filling up within ~5minutes.

In the end, non-paying players already have access to multiple ~months of content and subbing once gives access to even more so I don't really see the need to expand on this. In the end, any similar discussion should really be focused on ensuring that any additional content F2P can do is primarily a way to help subscribers. Getting groups quicker and similar are good points, but in this case, it's not needed which only improves F2P, which isn't necessary at the moment.

Bloodworthy - Tomb of Freedon Nadd - The Red Eclipse - Darth Malgus

Zapminer
09.04.2017 , 07:11 AM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by SteveTheCynic View Post
Not necessarily. You can become preferred (note spelling) by buying five bucks of CCs. If you do this, your level cap remains 50, and you cannot begin either the RotHC line (min 51) OR the SoR line (53).
I see. Didin't know.

Zapminer
09.04.2017 , 07:15 AM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by RikuvonDrake View Post
I think it's great that non-paying players are restricted from certain content, during earlier patches lots of regular operation players were using the CM items instead of being subbed, with 5.0 many of those subbed due to this restriction being introduced. I think it's positive for the game to have more subscribers and developing more operations should be rewarded, having non-paying players be able to do all content is not good for a game.

At the moment group finder is created via general chat and hardly takes that long to fill up, so I don't really buy the argument that subscribers get quicker groups, they are already filling up within ~5minutes.

In the end, non-paying players already have access to multiple ~months of content and subbing once gives access to even more so I don't really see the need to expand on this. In the end, any similar discussion should really be focused on ensuring that any additional content F2P can do is primarily a way to help subscribers. Getting groups quicker and similar are good points, but in this case, it's not needed which only improves F2P, which isn't necessary at the moment.
You miss out the fact that, if BioWare dosen't care about improving pref, eventually they quit the game, which is bad for business. And when dumb jerks decide to kick players amid an operation, finding replacements is hard.

You obviously did not read the whole post: I said that prefs sholudun't be allowed to play all operations, but at least some. Either you just don't like prefs, or you're a disguised BioWare employee

Also, they colud just make the game itself paid... or just be more like Elder Scrolls Online.

Threjyan
09.04.2017 , 07:23 AM | #10
Either you just don't like prefs, or you're a disguised BioWare employee
u clearly have no idea what u are saying about riku - he can be many things, but he is no BW employee.

and tbh, i also agree with Riku´s opinion. it doesnt matter if it 3 ops free for all or all of them - if one wants to play top end game content then sub, so one can help develop the multiplayer aspect of the game.
..The Path Of Excess Leads To The Tower Of Wisdom..