Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Is a cathar a good bounty hunter species? Or would it conflict with their history?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > New Player Help
Is a cathar a good bounty hunter species? Or would it conflict with their history?

ReyFinnRenJyn
08.31.2017 , 01:28 PM | #1
any ideas?

also, i know the imps arent really acceptable to aliens, so is a chiss bad to be an agent?
One in a million and a half

skinsrich
08.31.2017 , 02:08 PM | #2
I would say to play the game any way you want. If you want a Cathar BH, then go for it. There are "good" and "bad" people in all the different species in the Star Wars Universe. Why limit yourself? Play the way you want and enjoy the game. There really is no wrong species to roll a BH with. And with the lightside/darkside integration in the game you can be a BH that's honorable and follows the path of lightside or a hunting killing machine that follows the darkside. Have fun.

The Chiss are really one of the few alien species that the empire really accepts. If you follow the lore, you will see that for the most part Chiss tend to side more with the Empire. Grand Admiral Thrawn is a perfect example, who by the way is now part of the official lore.
This is the referral link you're looking for.
http://www.swtor.com/r/bVg3Yh

SteveTheCynic
08.31.2017 , 02:50 PM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by ReyFinnRenJyn View Post
any ideas?

also, i know the imps arent really acceptable to aliens, so is a chiss bad to be an agent?
For the Cathar question, I'd say it would end up being a bit odd, since there are ... issues between the Cathar and the Mandalorians.

Many people say that the "definitive" Agent is Chiss (the Chiss are Imperial Allies), but someone pointed out that there are serious story reasons why a Chiss wouldn't be assigned the opening missions. A blue-skinned red-eyed alien of a species known to be an Imperial ally would stick out like a sore thumb in the environment on Hutta. For that reason, I would recommand human, red-Zabrak, Rattataki, or Twi'lek. Rattataki has one disadvantage, though, because many NPCs talk to you as if "the Rattataki" doesn't mean your Agent, even if you are one. Kaliyo herself talks to you as if you wouldn't know what being raised on Rattatak is like, but if you are a Rattataki yourself, she doesn't add anything that indicates that she's aware of that.
http://www.swtor.com/r/Hg3sV2
Buda-buda-buda-buda-buda-buda-CHING!
PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW!
To go to Belsavis, you must go to Belsavis.

JediQuaker
08.31.2017 , 04:16 PM | #4
i know the imps arent really acceptable to aliens, so is a chiss bad to be an agent?
Don't worry about it. You are (according to the story) so bad*** that species doesn't really matter.
Cat(har)s as hunters? Mmm....

ReyFinnRenJyn
08.31.2017 , 04:19 PM | #5
so the cathar could be the odd one out. i kinda like that one.

for the agent, i guess i could stick with the chiss, since its only the beginning missions that are like that

ReyFinnRenJyn
08.31.2017 , 04:20 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by JediQuaker View Post
Don't worry about it. You are (according to the story) so bad*** that species doesn't really matter.
Cat(har)s as hunters? Mmm....
haha!

cat(har)s are a bad idea?

JediQuaker
09.01.2017 , 08:03 AM | #7
cat(har)s are a bad idea?
No, I meant that "cats", whether wild or domesticated, are natural hunters, so a Cathar bounty hunter makes sense to me, even if it would conflict with their "history".
From an RP perspective, your character can always be a "rogue" that doesn't follow the "normal" path of it's species.

Also, from an RP perspective, even if the Sith don't generally like "aliens", they do make exceptions for those that display great force powers and are in tune with the dark side.

(It would be nice if you could make a Republic bounty hunter (and an Imperial Smuggler), but, oh well. )

Aranelaa
02.07.2018 , 08:43 AM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by SteveTheCynic View Post
For the Cathar question, I'd say it would end up being a bit odd, since there are ... issues between the Cathar and the Mandalorians.

Many people say that the "definitive" Agent is Chiss (the Chiss are Imperial Allies), but someone pointed out that there are serious story reasons why a Chiss wouldn't be assigned the opening missions. A blue-skinned red-eyed alien of a species known to be an Imperial ally would stick out like a sore thumb in the environment on Hutta. For that reason, I would recommand human, red-Zabrak, Rattataki, or Twi'lek. Rattataki has one disadvantage, though, because many NPCs talk to you as if "the Rattataki" doesn't mean your Agent, even if you are one. Kaliyo herself talks to you as if you wouldn't know what being raised on Rattatak is like, but if you are a Rattataki yourself, she doesn't add anything that indicates that she's aware of that.
late to the thread, but play what you want. My cathar is a bounty hunter, but she refused the mandalorian part of it. She uses the ability to freely move about space to do some good, and when she has the chance she disposes of trouble causing mandos.

SteveTheCynic
02.07.2018 , 10:47 AM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Aranelaa View Post
late to the thread, but play what you want. My cathar is a bounty hunter, but she refused the mandalorian part of it. She uses the ability to freely move about space to do some good, and when she has the chance she disposes of trouble causing mandos.
Play what you want, of course. I wasn't saying that you can't play what you want.

That doesn't stop it being odd to be a Chiss Agent on Hutta, nor a Cathar Bounty Hunter. (And the fact that I wanted to play a Rattataki Agent doesn't change the weirdness of the dialogues.)
http://www.swtor.com/r/Hg3sV2
Buda-buda-buda-buda-buda-buda-CHING!
PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW!
To go to Belsavis, you must go to Belsavis.

gragnongoth
02.07.2018 , 10:51 AM | #10
You can play a BH as pretty hostile towards Mandalorians if you feel like it, so a self-respecting Cathar wouldn't be too out of place there. Alternatively, you could play your character as only in it for the credits and completely ignore Mandalorian customs after joining Mandalore's clan. The options are fairly open.